The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

Just played Patchwork Express after receiving this morning from Zatu. It was only 6 quid, which is about a third of the cost that it normally is. 

It's basically the same as regular Patchwork except it plays about 5 minutes quicker and is much more colourful if you're playing it with kids. It's a cracking little game and you can see why Patchwork has sold a fudge ton. 

If people are bored and stuck in with their families/flatmates/other halves it seems like a good excuse to get a cheeky game or two.

From what I can see Zatu are a little bit more expensive than they usually are right now, but still largely cheaper than bricks and mortar stores.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Nexus said:

Played The Isle of Cats today. It was a nice game which reminded me of Patchwork, combined a bit with Ticket to Ride, plus cats! 

Aye, I've considered that as well but it's ÂŁ45!

I'm considering Barenpark as it's available for £20 at the mo and it'll scratch my tile laying itch. Also, for some reason my wife and daughter both struggle with the turn system in Patchwork. 

As an aside has anyone else played anything new whilst this is going on? I got Kingdomino (another tile layer!), and Kung Fu Zoo (animal dice flicking rumble!) and both have been a good way to kill half an hour with the family.

I have been playing Carcassone, Coup and Sushi Go on boardgamearena.com. The only problem being that the servers get a bit overloaded in the evening due to a load of yanks on there. It does have pass and play on there for certain games so you could use a tablet and play a game just using that. There is Tabletopia.com as well, but that seems a bit buggy.

• 1 month later...

It's my partner's birthday next weekend and given current affairs it's not shaping up to be too lively. Also, up until this week we have both been furloughed for the past 8 weeks, so have done our fair share of drinking, watching films and listening to music so I wanted to come up with a few things that will stop it feeling like just another day.

With that in mind, I was wondering if anybody could suggest any fun and relatively easy to understand after a couple of drinks two player board games please?

Thanks in advance.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, TheHighlightReel said:

It's my partner's birthday next weekend and given current affairs it's not shaping up to be too lively. Also, up until this week we have both been furloughed for the past 8 weeks, so have done our fair share of drinking, watching films and listening to music so I wanted to come up with a few things that will stop it feeling like just another day.

With that in mind, I was wondering if anybody could suggest any fun and relatively easy to understand after a couple of drinks two player board games please?

Thanks in advance.

Concept is great. It's more of an activity than a game, especially with two -- technically there's scoring but nobody takes any notice of that. It's basically Charades but instead of gestures, you're putting different coloured pieces on a board with icons to try to get the message across:

Concept-Game-Board.jpg

For example, you could put the main piece on the movie camera, then a red piece on a boat and a red cube on the down symbol, and a bunch of green cubes on the skull and crossbones symbol. If your partner is on the same wavelength, they'll hopefully realise you are indicating it's a film which features a boat sinking and a lot of people dying, aka Titanic.

The problem is, your partner probably won't be on the same wavelength and entertaining frustration will ensue.

Kingdomino is worth a look as well: it's a quick game that's fairly easy to learn/teach as it's based on normal dominoes principles.

Kingdomino-Components-Family-Board-Game.

And if you can track down a copy, Word On The Street is good. You have a board with 20 letters on it and spaces either side:

WordOnStreetNew_Board.jpg

All that happens is that you take it in turns to pick up a card with a category on (pop bands, condiments, country names) and you have 30 seconds to think of a word that matches it, then spell it out and move the letters to your side of the board, once for each time a letter is in the word. If you get a letter all the way to your side of the board, you win it and it's out of the game. First to capture eight letters wins.

It seems really simple, but as the game goes on you have to start thinking tactically about whether you want to prioritize capturing a letter or pulling back a letter that's close to your opponent's side. It also gets increasingly harder to think of words as the range of letters left on the board gets smaller.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

Ticket to Ride London or New York are great quick games that are easy to learn.  Same concept as the big Ticket to Rides, but stripped back.

All creatures big and small is a cracker too, and has little animals in it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Because it's the season and also realistically we've fuck all else to do I got my first new board game of Christmas, this weekend as a birthday present to myself.

We generally go for lightish games in our house as my daughter is seven and my wife has a shocking attention span. With that in mind I got Cloud City. It's another tile layer (I love 'em), with the hook being that you're basically building a 3D city with walkways between your skyscrapers. It's really good and plays similarly to Kingdomino but with the wrinkle of having to think in 3D to link up your buildings. It's also got really cool table presence, second only to Rhino Hero Super Battle, at least in my collection anyway. Worth a look for people who don't want anything too heavy.

• Awards Moderator

A friend bought me a couple of months' subscription to a board game rental service (https://www.rentameeple.co.uk/) which has been really enjoyable so far.

Played Colour Brain, a simple party game of answering which colours match the question. 

Tiny Town: really enjoyed this one - make your own little town with competing resources and different building configurations. It's really easy to trap yourself with no space to expand. Recommended.

Played Catan for the first time, to my shame. Didn't quite click but will give it another go.

And on a similar note of 'missing the classics' I've got Agricola to play later.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

A friend bought me a couple of months' subscription to a board game rental service (https://www.rentameeple.co.uk/) which has been really enjoyable so far.

Played Colour Brain, a simple party game of answering which colours match the question. 

Tiny Town: really enjoyed this one - make your own little town with competing resources and different building configurations. It's really easy to trap yourself with no space to expand. Recommended.

Played Catan for the first time, to my shame. Didn't quite click but will give it another go.

And on a similar note of 'missing the classics' I've got Agricola to play later.

Fancied Tiny Town for ages, but haven’t bought yet.  Hopefully getting some dosh for Christmas so this will be a probable purchase.  

Settlers is a classic to me, but if it’s your first time, you would played similar but better in the past that will push it down for you a bit.  Love Agricola, in my opinion the best game ever released.  There is a family version too that is dirt cheap at the moment that is loads of fun.

Been playing Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion a lot.  Bought it as an introduction to the main game, and love it.  Most unique dungeon crawler I have ever played.

I have everything that has been released for Marvel Champions now that makes me a happy lad.