The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

Drove past this place today and my girlfriend wants to go. As a non board game player, what do you recommend? I think it looks a real fun place and I love the idea of a membership and people meeting up for game night in a cafe!

https://www.goodtimegames.co.uk

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Drove past this place today and my girlfriend wants to go. As a non board game player, what do you recommend? I think it looks a real fun place and I love the idea of a membership and people meeting up for game night in a cafe!

In Wood Green, just ten minutes up the road from me, there's a converted double-decker bus in an open-air space that's now a board-game cafe and bar, and it's one of the best places to go at the weekend. Board-game cafes are always worthwhile.

For games that you can learn quickly, there's Azul, which is a beautiful game about ceramic tile mosaics (sounds dry, but actually really fun), there's the Timeline series of card games, where you have to try and place a historical event/person/invention in accordance with the correct year, there's Fluxx, which is just a batshit mental card game where the rules are that the rules constantly change, and Pandemic, which, despite being a bit depressingly on-the-nose right now, is incredibly addictive, as you play co-operatively to cure and wipe out four different diseases spreading around the world.

I've not played Santorini, but it looks really fun - a building game. It's gonna be one of the first I play when I get out.

Large_1024x1024.jpg?v=1517424890

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’s owned by the mate of a guy I work with.  When it’s open he’s always in there.  They have a good section of games and are at hand to recommend and help you learn to play.  It’s Vegan too if you lean that way.

• Paid Members

Took Architects of the West Kingdom off the shelf of shame for a playthrough.  Sorry I bothered.  Really fiddly, and not enjoyable. In my for sale pile now.  Next up, Networks.

• 2 months later...

Got the first big Unmatched box for Father's Day and it's excellent. It's a cards and minis battling game across a bunch of different sets using a mix of licensed and public domain IP's. Each character plays differently and the art is all done by Mondo, the arty film poster people which makes it properly gorgeous.

I feel like I'm gonna spend some money on this.

Got Labyrinth 3D for Fathers Day in all it's 90’s box art glory. Not the most complex of games but ny youngest likes strategy games where you collect treasure so I asked for it with him in mind as much as me. It's already had some hammer and sits nicely alongside Bag Of Dungeon when we want to go more in depth. Both have got really simple rules so less time reading booklets and more time playing and sabotaging each other.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a treasure collecting type game that an 8 year old won't be flummoxed by?

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

So, had my PS5 about three months now, and the Triangle button’s getting stuck. Is this one of the famed issues with the controllers? Or is it something that can be easily rectified?

Wrong thread Buddy!

The last few weeks has seen my board game night playing live again.

We've had our first IRL play of Rallyman:GT which is a fun "push your luck" racing game.

Wingspan with the Oceana expansion was great too.

I was disappointed by the shoddy components of Dr Who: Time of the Daleks though. The card in the base game are not cut to the same size as the expansions. Shame, as it's otherwise quite fun.

• Moderators

Played a game of Root this evening. Only played with 2 players so didn't get a feel for the full breadth of what the game has to offer. However, I really enjoyed it and could tell we only just scratched the surface. Very cleverly designed and very strategic play. Amazing how every faction plays completely differently and all the mechanics fit together.

Can tell already this is one that's going to get a fair bit of play.

• Paid Members

Really want to give Root a go.  No solo mode so I won’t be getting it myself, but will hopefully be playing when the gaming group reopens.