The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Awards Moderator

I popped to the NEC this weekend to see the UK Games Expo. Full of smelly teenagers (of course) but everyone was so polite. Got to meet Ian Livingstone too which was a bonus.

Anyway the haul was:

20210730_163845.thumb.jpg.7b9ec503ea4d0ff749c1c4e86cdf7a7b.jpg

Star Wars Unlock which I've been meaning to try for ages. Micro Macro Crime City which is Where's Wally in game form and we've played about 10 times already. An expansion for Quacks of Quedlinburg because we love that game. Miss Match which is a silly card game the designer talked me into buying (you can never have enough 10 minute card games anyone can play). Plus meeples and dice because why not. Also plushies that my daughter wanted.

Also played The LOOP and 7 Wonders yesterday for the first time. The Loop is massively confusing to describe but is lots of fun, and 7 Wonders could be one of my favourite games ever.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Also played The LOOP and 7 Wonders yesterday for the first time. The Loop is massively confusing to describe but is lots of fun, and 7 Wonders could be one of my favourite games ever.

We played 7 Wonders a couple of times with our neighbours before they moved a few years back, they introduced us to it and spent the whole of one play through explaining all the little rules, but it was really good fun. We bought the two player only game once we moved away as well, (7 wonders duel) but never played it cos life. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

I popped to the NEC this weekend to see the UK Games Expo. Full of smelly teenagers (of course) but everyone was so polite. Got to meet Ian Livingstone too which was a bonus.

Anyway the haul was:

20210730_163845.thumb.jpg.7b9ec503ea4d0ff749c1c4e86cdf7a7b.jpg

Star Wars Unlock which I've been meaning to try for ages. Micro Macro Crime City which is Where's Wally in game form and we've played about 10 times already. An expansion for Quacks of Quedlinburg because we love that game. Miss Match which is a silly card game the designer talked me into buying (you can never have enough 10 minute card games anyone can play). Plus meeples and dice because why not. Also plushies that my daughter wanted.

Ian Livingstone is a legend in gaming, nay royalty.  Meet him a few times at conventions over the years, lovely, lovely chap.  Nearly went myself but the Covid frightened me off this year, glad to see you had fun!

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Nearly went myself but the Covid frightened me off this year,

It was on-off all year if you were following the story. We turned up with full covid app passport things, no one even glanced at them. Lots of nurses offering vaccinations though. Nearly 100% mask compliance inside. 

3 hours ago, hallicks said:

7 wonders duel

Played it loads this year. Well worth it - Rodney Smith's video on it will get you started in no time. It's only a quick game, 20-30 minutes. 

• Paid Members

Love me some Quacks.  Had 7 Winners for a while, but sold unplayed as it doesn’t play solo.  Bought the Duel version though, and looking forward to giving that a bash.

• Awards Moderator
On 8/3/2021 at 8:18 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Review of the Quacks expansion when you can, please @Onyx2 ! A firm favourite in this household...

Had a round of Alchemists expansion. 

20210807_102846_copy_907x1612.thumb.jpg.a0716ad62b567a8aca53de48ad8d7153.jpg

It adds the panel at the top. 

(for those not familiar with Quacks, you have a bunch of tokens in a black bag, mostly good, some very bad. It becomes a game of nerves and probability of pulling out tokens until you bottle it or are happy with the score you've accumulated.) 

This new bit is a bolt on to every round. You gain points towards your choice of bonus, which alters your benefits. These are named after weird ailments you're curing like Chicken Eyes or Ear Worm. It forces you to diversify the tokens you collect - good strategic options if you've minmaxed the base game. 

If you're near a bricks and mortar Disney Store and don't object to lining the pockets of our Mouse overlord, the Disney Store are selling Marvel Splendor for a tenner (well £10.19!).

Just picked it up for me and my tiny girl clone. It reviewed pretty well and Splendor has sold a bazillion copies, so it's gotta be at least ok, right?

Edited by BrodyGraham

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

So I've been running a D&D game for a few weeks now. Pretty new to the game (played once as a kid) and first time DM'ing (although have run Hero Quest for people in the past). Thankfully my party is small and all new to the game as well.

It's heaps of fun, but seriously intense! It's a really steep learning curve and you really have to think on your feet. I've ended up putting loads of work in between sessions to try to improve and make the game smoother each week. I think it's worth it though as I've been getting good feedback and the players are having fun too.

Anyone else on here ever play?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

17 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Anyone else on here ever play?

Nope, but the youngest has been asking about it a LOT and theres a D&D club at my eldests secondary school (my kind of nerds tbh) so keen to give it a go at some point so your post was well timed and informative. 

Keep us posted.

• Paid Members

I run a weekly (ish) game in the board game cafe the next town over. I've stopped planning stuff though because the players just do whatever they want. 

Pre-Pandemic I ran the Curse of Strahd with them, which I found too restrictive, so now it's just a homebrew fuck around and find out kinda game. 

• Paid Members

I've been playing on Monday nights for the past three years now. Not DM/GMing though, fuck that. Too much work, and I don't think I'd be good at it. We've played Warhammer 40K, Lancer (which is fucking awesome - mech combat), and we're currently playing Exalted, which has been a very steep learning curve as a player (very high crunch, a lot to take in, plus it's very different in how it encourages you to actually really roleplay, so took a while to get used to), but is now getting to a point where it's really fun.