The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Moderators

It's just way too expensive to keep up with even lgs level standard. Modern is a bit better because at least there's more variety in the format and it doesn't move as quickly. But if course pretty expensive to build a deck that's at all competitive in the first place.

I've still never played Commander; the only format I've never had a go at.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Rey_Piste said:

The sets aren't out yet, though they should be by the end of the month/early March. This video is a pretty comprehensive review of them and I've got the starter set pre-ordered to paint up my Zombicide miniatures with.

Amazon have released their advance stock, so mine arrived a couple of weeks ago!  They are quite good once you get used to them.  You won’t get golden demon level stuff out of them, but for getting stuff out to play, nice and quick.  Just doing my Mansions of Madness stuff now and cruising through it.

• Paid Members

Bought The Bloody Inn the other day as Amazing had it for £17.  Amazing game! So sorry I’d not bought it before.  You own an Inn in Rural 19th Century France, and gain points by murdering the guests.  Plays in about 20 minutes solo and very straight forward.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Bought The Bloody Inn the other day as Amazing had it for £17.  Amazing game! So sorry I’d not bought it before.  You own an Inn in Rural 19th Century France, and gain points by murdering the guests.  Plays in about 20 minutes solo and very straight forward.

You also have to hide the bodies if a cop comes. But you can kill the cop instead. But you then have two bodies to hide in a case another cop comes. And it can rapidly get out of hand...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Played Terraforming Mars a few times and honestly could not see what the hype was about.  Bored me silly.  Today I played the Ares Project.  Bloody loved it!  Failed miserably, but worked out how it all works regarding combos and timings, so will fare better next time….  Hopefully!

DBD54A56-7583-4984-8072-01488E1593D5.jpeg

So I went to the Kagiawa Neon Dynasty pre-release last Saturday and apart from losing all my matches 2-1, it's a really fun set and now I'm tempted to buy a box to draft with friends. I would say I'd get the commander sets from this, but one of my mates has already ordered them, so i'll get a chance to play them anyway.

Little Brody just started a board game club at school. I'm very proud of her but she's already talking about contingency plans for other kids misbehaving or not bringing in games when it's their turn.

The other side of this is going to be her frustration when the other 8 year olds bring in non-hobby games, or she lambasts them that Monopoly is for plebs.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

For some inexplicable reason I bought the core rules back in the day despite not playing computer games.

Guess I thought it would look cool next to the World Of Darkness rule books.

It didn't.

• 3 weeks later...

We've bought a good few games recently.

I managed to con my little girl into going halves on the Summoner Wars 2nd Ed Master Set (I mean I give her my tips from work as her allowance, which she saves and then I top that up with my actual money!). What a game! Great art, great player variety, great tactical variety and not actually that bad a price at ÂŁ50 for a six faction set (although she gets a discount for running her own board game club, so ÂŁ45 really). If you've not played it, it's basically a card battling game wrapped around an abstract style strategy board. Magic the Gathering meets Chess essentially. There's a 2 faction expansion already available and some single decks coming soon which opens it up for custom deck building but the faction decks I've played provide a good mix of play styles so I'm not sure I'll go beyond just getting pre mades. Properly Excellent.

Tiny Turbo Cars is a really interesting and fun race game where you program your moves using little sliding block puzzles. It's the kind of game where the mixture of planning and luck can lead to turns where you either feel godly or just repeatedly bang up against the same obstacle ad nauseum but it's a really nice looking game and will be a daft laugh with 4 or more.

Flick of Faith is basically Shove Ha'penny The God Game. The idea is that you're God's trying to gain control of an archipelago by flicking prophets into the islands to gain influence and control. There's a bunch of different god powers and variable different winning conditions so every game is genuinely different even though it's still basically flicking disks on a mat. Also it looks bloody lovely. We love it but obviously I understand mileage may vary on dexterity games.

Loco Momo and Draftosaurus are both 15 minute set collection games with different methods of drawing creatures out of bags and are both fun filler games but Draftosaurus has you drawing wooden Dino's out of a bag and therefore wins by default.

There's more but this is a big enough bloody post as is!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bought Lost Ruins of Arnak a couple of months ago, but just could not get any fun out of it at all, so sold it.  Bought Dune Imperium, as I really wanted the combination of deck building and worker placement, and loved it.  Very smooth playing solo and it’s what I wanted Arnak to be.  Also bought It’s a Wonderful World.  Didn’t really grab me, but I might have got some of the rules wrong so will be watching a few vids.

• Paid Members

I backed the They Live: Assault on Cable 54 board game a couple of years ago, and finally received and played it the other week with some friends. It's got a fun mechanism where you get the sunglasses with it, which reveal hidden meanings - like telling you whether you're on the side of the resistance or the invaders. Also, the dice roll either 'Kick Ass' or 'Chew Bubblegum', which is a nice touch.

So, it's basically a co-op game, except some of you may be invaders sabotaging the rest. So it's sort of like Pandemic crossed with Among Us. It's a little complicated, especially first time round, but a lot of thought has been put into it. It's more story-based than I've had before, and that was fun. Once we got going, it got pretty dramatic. It's kind of in phases. The first third is tense while you're unsure what's going on, the second third is ramping up, and then the final third is just all-out. 

download (17).jpg