The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

So, I’ve won a copy of Ark Nova, the current hottest of hot games.  Anyone played this?  Not sure to just sell it or play.

• Paid Members

Fucking A!   The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is what hit me into gaming in ‘82.  My Aunt took me into Sherrat and Hughes, a massive book in St Anne’s Square, and the guy who ran it mentioned this new book that was both a novel and a game.  Got home, grabbed the dice out of the monopoly box, and my life was changed forever.  The Ian Livingstone ones were more mappable, but Steve Jackson’s had more of a combat based tint.  Will be grabbing this, cheers!

• Paid Members
On 7/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, Thunderplex said:

Fucking A!   The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is what hit me into gaming in ‘82.  My Aunt took me into Sherrat and Hughes, a massive book in St Anne’s Square, and the guy who ran it mentioned this new book that was both a novel and a game.  Got home, grabbed the dice out of the monopoly box, and my life was changed forever.  The Ian Livingstone ones were more mappable, but Steve Jackson’s had more of a combat based tint.  Will be grabbing this, cheers!

Forest Of Doom was my first one. I used to borrow Fighting Fantasy and the Choose Your Own Adventure books from the local library, usually alongside a huge book about dinosaurs, and one about non dinosaur prehistoric monsters. I'd take them back, and as soon as they popped the dinosaur books on the trolley for recently returned books I'd swoop in and borrow them again. 

A bunch of those books came to mobile phones a few years back, they translate really well, too.

The new local Geek Retreat has like four D&D sessions a week now, as much as I like the game I'd love to see some time spent on other TTRPG's like Vampire, I guess it's time I learn how to DM and steal a few players.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I'd love to have the time for a game of D&D or some such, even if it was over Teams or Zooms or a Discord or something. My shifts at work would mean I'd probably only have a Saturday night to do anything like that. 

• Moderators

I play once a week on discord using Roll20. Works pretty well! I believe there a pretty healthy community on the platform supporting finding a party to play with it you don't have your own group.

Would definitely suggest using a virtual tabletop if playing online - Roll20 is the one I use but there are others.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
On 7/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, Thunderplex said:

4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Forest Of Doom was my first one. I used to borrow Fighting Fantasy and the Choose Your Own Adventure books from the local library, usually alongside a huge book about dinosaurs, and one about non dinosaur prehistoric monsters. I'd take them back, and as soon as they popped the dinosaur books on the trolley for recently returned books I'd swoop in and borrow them again. 

4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

A bunch of those books came to mobile phones a few years back, they translate really well, too.

The new local Geek Retreat has like four D&D sessions a week now, as much as I like the game I'd love to see some time spent on other TTRPG's like Vampire, I guess it's time I learn how to DM and steal a few players.

I've still got loads of the old Fighting Fantasy books from my young days - I have:

Warlock Of Firetop Mountain

Forest of Doom

City of Thieves

Return To Firetop Mountain

Legend of Zagor

Chasms of Malice

Deathtrap Dungeon (which I loved so much I bought the Playstation game the moment it came out)

Trial Of Champions (sequel to Deathtrap)

Spectral Stalkers

Temple of Terror

Creature Of Chaos

Rebel Planet

Also, talking of books that got put on mobile apps, I still have a few of my Lone Wolf/New Order Kai books, and I was overjoyed to see they've been given the mobile treatment too.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'd love to have the time for a game of D&D or some such, even if it was over Teams or Zooms or a Discord or something. My shifts at work would mean I'd probably only have a Saturday night to do anything like that. 

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I play once a week on discord using Roll20. Works pretty well! I believe there a pretty healthy community on the platform supporting finding a party to play with it you don't have your own group.

Would definitely suggest using a virtual tabletop if playing online - Roll20 is the one I use but there are others.

I've been in a club of friends that meet up for TTRPG every Monday - we've mainly been using Roll20 with Discord, but the GM finally got fed up with Roll20 and has now migrated us over to Foundry, which he is raving about: seems it has a lot more functionality and special effects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Played Stardew Valley solo today.  Takes a shitload of time to setup, but once in the swing of it, a nice game to play.  Has the theme of the original video game well intergrated.

• Paid Members

Finally got Ark Nova to the table.  For a games that looks like it’s got a hell of a lot going on, it is remarkably straight forwards and flows really well.  Failed miserably (-29 points), but learnt a lot about the strategy’s behind it.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
On 7/24/2022 at 10:13 PM, Thunderplex said:

Played Stardew Valley solo today.  Takes a shitload of time to setup, but once in the swing of it, a nice game to play.  Has the theme of the original video game well intergrated.

Picked this up today and we played 3 players up until Summer.
You’re right about the setup! Took bloody ages but it seems now we know what stuff is it’ll be faster second time around.

Game is very cute and just like the actual videogame. Looking forward to finishing it tomorrow.

3D31551E-EB07-4B64-8FDE-F23472820AFC.jpeg

4354E5EF-6EF0-4159-9A86-92DB9039F5B7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...