The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

I bought a dupe of Taco Hat Goat Cheese Pizza in Aldi for the princely sum of £2.99 and it's one of the most fun games we've played as a family. Very simple premise so nice and light to throw in as a palette cleanser between heavier games or if you just want something reasonably quick.

I've been tempted to buy Unmatched: Ingen vs Raptors and to a lesser extent the Ellie Satler vs T-Rex one, because a) Jurassic Park and b) because the minis look great. Has anyone on here played either? Are they worth grabbing for roughly thirty quid each?

So my new boss has decided that she wants the pub to have a board game collection and has asked me to compile a list of games for the initial buy in. She reckons we can get about £300 initially to buy stuff for a collection of Hobby Games to put behind the bar. I came up with a vague collection starter list. Have I dropped any bollocks here and have you folks got any ideas? 

Azul, Ultimate Werewolf, Klask, Horrified, King of Tokyo, Fort, Unmatched, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Kingdomino or Patchwork, Sushi Go/Party/Roll.

Edited by BrodyGraham

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Interesting one that. My daughter got it with the expansion last year and I think we've only had it out once. It felt a bit like a war of attrition, but the little one liked it cos one of the chicken cards has rude words on it!

Hah! Fair enough. It's a fun little game that doesn't take up much space, and is pretty quick to set up. Same with Hanabi too.

4 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

So my new boss has decided that she wants the pub to have a board game collection and has asked me to compile a list of games for the initial buy in. She reckons we can get about £300 initially to buy stuff for a collection of Hobby Games to put behind the bar. I came up with a vague collection starter list. Have I dropped any bollocks here and have you folks got any ideas? 

Azul, Ultimate Werewolf, Klask, Horrified, King of Tokyo, Fort, Unmatched, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Kingdomino or Patchwork, Sushi Go/Party/Roll.

If its for a pub, as great as klask is, I'd be cautious as the pieces will fly everywhere! I'd be looking at small tabletop / card games. Dobble, dominoes, a good quality plastic set of playing cards, Quirkle if you have the table space. Also some dice games / roll and write like Qwinto,  Ganz schon clever (that's pretty clever), perudo and even the classic yahtzee would be ideal in a pub. Resistance is also a fantastic game but if you've got werewolf then you might not need both. Just be prepared that any games are likely to get drinks spilled on them (I'm looking at dobble!) So wooden / dice / plastic cards may be worth looking at. 

Oh, Drop it is also a fantastic game suitable for any age. 

5 minutes ago, gaz2050 said:

Oh, Drop it is also a fantastic game suitable for any age. 

Excellent choice. 

I was considering some roll and writes and smaller games but pub being pub I'd rather get ones with plastic boards and dry wipe pens rather than sheets and pencils. I also completely forgot the name of Railroad Ink or that would have been on the list!

56 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Excellent choice. 

I was considering some roll and writes and smaller games but pub being pub I'd rather get ones with plastic boards and dry wipe pens rather than sheets and pencils. I also completely forgot the name of Railroad Ink or that would have been on the list!

You can download scoresheeys for games like qwixx, qwinto, railroad ink, yahtzee etc and just laminate them. I did it the cheap way and bought a load of different coloured die from China for about a fiver then just downloaded and laminated the score sheets. They're readily available on bgg

• Paid Members

Just watched a fascinating video about a solo D&D resource kit for people who for whatever reason can't get a group together to play with. 

• Paid Members

Currently playing a game on Foundry - Age of Sigmar Soulbound. I'm not the GM, though, so there's only so much I can really help with. One thing to do is make sure all graphics cards are updated, because Foundry seems to have an issue with older ones - you end up with white blocks appearing on the screen at random points as you zoom in and out. 

Also, from what I gather from our GM, it's quite an involved and detailed sytem, so whoever's running it should probably spend quite a bit of time getting to grips with it, as it can get a bit unwieldy. But it's really good, and saves a lot of time in terms of applying results automatically.

@jazzygeofferz - I posted that video in the "Less conventional/commercial hotties" thread! Great minds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Played Cascadia, a 2021 release that's in the top 50 at BoardGameGeek. It's a tile/token laying game where each tile has a habitat background (water, prairie etc) and a space for a specific animal token. The catch is that you can earn points by having continuous areas of the same habitat, but also by having animals arranged together in different ways (salmon want a line, bears like to be huddled together, hawks need to be separated but have straight lines of sight).

It plays very smoothly and is very much in the "easy to learn, difficult to master" category. The only problem is that each of the animals can score in one of four slightly different ways, randomly selected at the start to add variety. That means you need to be very hot on explaining exactly how that works, otherwise anyone who's misunderstood will find they've wasted a lot of the game doing something that won't pay off.