The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

The Great Western Trail 2nd edition.  So wanted to like this, but at my 3rd attempt of playing it I’ve given up.  It just brings no joy at all, just a routine with few results type of thing.  Put it on EBay so I can buy a game I might like.

• Paid Members

Had some friends round at the weekend, and they'd just bought Mansions of Madness - a follow-up to Arkham Horror, which is ace. Unlike the original game, it's not set across a whole town, but inside a mansion, which you gradually explore, find clues, and fight horrifying monsters and dickhead cultists. We nicknamed it "Cthuluedo". 

It's really good, and quite difficult. One of the main differences from AH is that, when you take damage physically or mentally, you don't just get a token marking it; you get a card detailing the nature of the damage, and it can fuck you up. If you're lucky, you get that damage as a face-down card, meaning it acts like a token, and they're easier to heal, whereas bad luck will see you having to place it face up with the full description of the effect, and it's very difficult to heal from face-up card damage.

One of the most significant things is that it relies on use of a free app that you have to download - I put it on my laptop via Steam, which turned out to be a good decision, as it has good voice acting and atmospheric music. But it primarily directs the story, and keeps notes of where items and monsters are; it doesn't do everything (as it should be, or it might as well just be a videogame).

Strongly recommended, but from what I understand, it's not cheap.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Had some friends round at the weekend, and they'd just bought Mansions of Madness - a follow-up to Arkham Horror, which is ace. Unlike the original game, it's not set across a whole town, but inside a mansion, which you gradually explore, find clues, and fight horrifying monsters and dickhead cultists. We nicknamed it "Cthuluedo". 

It's really good, and quite difficult. One of the main differences from AH is that, when you take damage physically or mentally, you don't just get a token marking it; you get a card detailing the nature of the damage, and it can fuck you up. If you're lucky, you get that damage as a face-down card, meaning it acts like a token, and they're easier to heal, whereas bad luck will see you having to place it face up with the full description of the effect, and it's very difficult to heal from face-up card damage.

One of the most significant things is that it relies on use of a free app that you have to download - I put it on my laptop via Steam, which turned out to be a good decision, as it has good voice acting and atmospheric music. But it primarily directs the story, and keeps notes of where items and monsters are; it doesn't do everything (as it should be, or it might as well just be a videogame).

Strongly recommended, but from what I understand, it's not cheap.

Played Mansions about 10 times. Love it. If you can project the app to a large screen it really helps keep everyone together. We also house rule that everyone gets three actions, not two as it can feel a touch unfair sometimes. It's excellent though, just the right blend of storytelling and actual gaming I enjoy.

• Paid Members

Not sure whether this belongs here or in the Autism thread, but when I was out at the Geek Retreat with the Autistic socials group yesterday we spotted a game called Cortex Challenge. Lots of little puzzles to play against your friends, and some sensory cards as well with textures on to identify. Unfortunately they didn't have an open copy to play. I found it on Amazon for less than it was there, so we'll have it there for next time. Looks like it'll be ideal for us all. 

We had a game of Scattergories as well, but started getting into arguments about the semantics of the categories. 

There's a guy at our gaming club who regularly says "oh we could play some Twilight Imperium"... We meet at 7 and have to be out at half 10 so that'd be getting set up just in time to get set up before packing away. A long day session is fine but not suitable for a quick game! It's a good game but the length it takes to actually play makes it hard to find the time for a session.

My group did during lockdown as it kept us going, but once we could get back together we sacked it off.

We never used it play with people outside of our circle so not sure what the dick to decent human ratio is.

BGA did introduce us to a couple of games we now play IRL, Rallyman:GT & Can't Stop.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

My friend is being 2 new games to us  tonight that I'm looking forward to trying.

In the footsteps of Darwin & Epic Tiny Dinosaurs

Tiny Epic Dinosaurs is great, but fucking awful solo which is why I’m trying to flog it on EBay.

10 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Not sure whether this belongs here or in the Autism thread, but when I was out at the Geek Retreat with the Autistic socials group yesterday we spotted a game called Cortex Challenge. Lots of little puzzles to play against your friends, and some sensory cards as well with textures on to identify. Unfortunately they didn't have an open copy to play. I found it on Amazon for less than it was there, so we'll have it there for next time. Looks like it'll be ideal for us all. 

We had a game of Scattergories as well, but started getting into arguments about the semantics of the categories. 

I’d say probably both.  Here more about the game, but on the Autism thread more about how it’s helped or entertained you.

• Paid Members

Finally got round to playing Final Girl.  Did the basic Happy Trails Horror scenario.  Really felt like an 80’s slasher movie the way the villain stalks and attacks.  Possibly the best solo game I’ve played.

Twilight Imperium is an awesome game, really fantastic. Personally I'd recommend a five player game, any more and it really slows the pace and the "community" as it were that gets created becomes less initimate, with five anything that happens to one race feels like it impacts everything and everyone, it's a blast.

I'd say 8 hours would likely be on the high end, but your best bet is to meet up at 11 and you'll be done by 4 or 5, especially once you've played it before. And the time FLIES.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke