The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, JNLister said:

Only downside is somebody took the "get money every time somebody adds a primate to a zoo" card because they knew I'm always going to collect monkeys regardless of any gameplay strategy.

That’s my downfall.  Monkeys and Racoons will always feature no matter what the theme of the zoo.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

I'm sure you guys are as excited as me for the Marine Worlds expansion.

Yes, can’t wait for it.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Treated myself to Flamecraft.  What a lovely game.  Easy to pick up, and short enough for a couple of games a session.  First roll-up board I’ve ever used too!  Best score up to now solo is 58.

How big is the board? I like the look of it but if it's not fitting on me coffee table it isn't coming into the house!

Picked up Boop! a few weeks ago. It's a two player abstract strategy game about kittens. It's surprisingly crunchy and looks really nice. The kind of game that's easy to teach but tricky to fully read. Pretty much a perfect gateway game.

My Mrs has pre-ordered me Warhammer 40k Leviathan for fathers day. My youngest son is showing an interest so I thought it would be good to get for us both to play, despite the fact I've not played 40k since I was 11 (painted loads of miniatures since but mainly fantasy stuff for Mordheim and D&D).

I've glanced at the simple 4 page rules and I'm already feeling overwhelmed and panicking that I'll end up just painting the models and sticking them on a shelf. Can anybody recommend any simple resources to learn how to play? I've seen a video on 10th edition rules but it's 45 minutes long and that's equally stressful.

• Paid Members

I haven't played it yet because it's a new edition but by and large 40k looks a lot more complex than it is because it has a lot of 'phases' and a shitload of information per unit.

The best way to learn the turn phases is to walk through a couple of rounds with a few units, maybe a squad and a 'warlord' each. Your first few games there'll be a bunch of looking up stats and re-checking interactions, but I find in play so much is standardised (for example, bolt rifles always work the same) that it sticks in the mind pretty quickly. There are some genuinely complex armies out there but usually the big box edition has two fairly simple armies.

There's a 10minute vid here that covers how to get started and how the phases work, anything more complex you can add in as you get more comfortable and scale up.

Edited by Jesse
added a video link

That's pretty pain-free, cheers for that. I think it'll take a few runs through for it to sink in, it's just really daunting, especially when I feel like I need to be an expert so my son isn't getting bored whilst I'm learning the rules. I think it'll be remembering all the different steps like the armour saves that will take some remembering.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's definitely an overwhelming thing to start with especially when you're looking at a complete army and all the individual unit rules at the same time as learning the core structure of a match. I'm a big fan of their smaller scale games like Kill Team as an entry point (even as kid I started with Necromunda before the mass army stuff) but since you've already got the box it's worth just scaling it down to small for yourself for a start.

I'm also mad jealous because that box looks lush, I've always been a Tyranid fan (my first army as a kid) and the new models are gorgeous.

• Paid Members

Played Reign of Cthulhu, which is the Lovecraft themed Pandemic this morning.  Loved it.  Big fan of Pandemic anyway and this changes the system slightly but logically to fit the Mythos theme.  The board is gorgeous and really puts the theme forward, and the minis are great too.  Highly recommend this.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Played Reign of Cthulhu, which is the Lovecraft themed Pandemic this morning.  Loved it.  Big fan of Pandemic anyway and this changes the system slightly but logically to fit the Mythos theme.  The board is gorgeous and really puts the theme forward, and the minis are great too.  Highly recommend this.

It is great, isn't it? The only downside is the lack of replayability. I found this fan-made scenario for the original game, and have been trying to adapt it to fit the Cthulhu version - doesn't quite fit yet, but I think it can be worked to do so.

https://images.zmangames.com/filer_public/1a/72/1a728d48-a025-4c73-b3df-7713f7606e97/scenarios2_pandemic_rev.pdf

Figured the narrative premise could be "Demon Blood" - your characters have, through the evil machinations of cultists, been infected with blood from the Old Ones or their Shoggoths, and, as you fight back, the crippling illness from the blood that has limited your abilities now clears, and, it turns out, you are even stronger than a regular human being having survived the ordeal.