The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

28 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

What an excellent dad.  Enjoy.

It actually went really well! We had a Klask tournament, a teams game of Drop it! (very good family game, bit Tetrissy) and Touch It (Kids card game, where you blind guess animals on cards using touch, funnily enough). What also down went really well was Don't Get Got which is kind of a secret missions game that you play over the course of a party/evening. Naturally they were all super subtle and stealthy and a complex game of cat and mouse ensued. Did it fuck! They just straight up asked each other to do what they needed on their cards. They had fun though, so job done.

I can heartily recommend Good Time Games in West Didsbury for this sort of thing.

Really frustrated that I can't pledge on the Gamefound Keyforge campaign because my bank have stuck an extra layer of security on my account without telling me! Or I'm a berk and threw their letter in the bin.

Either way, 15 minutes on the phone and the upshot is that it will be sorted by next weekend.

On a positive note, I've bought a copy of Twilight Inscription. Be interesting to play a roll & write that isn't a filler game.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

I can heartily recommend Good Time Games in West Didsbury for this sort of thing.

Not been yet,  but a lad I used to work with is mates with the owner and spends a lot of time there.  Says it’s great too.

https://www.bargainmax.co.uk/dungeons-and-dragons-adventure-begins-game.html

Just purchased this as it's going ridiculously cheap. (£11.24) along with ticket to ride New York. Never actually played dungeons and dragons before so this looks like it will be a really good starting point. Secretly hoping my 6 year old will get into it too. Not holding out too much hope for my just turned 5 year old though!

17 minutes ago, gaz2050 said:

Just purchased this as it's going ridiculously cheap. (£11.24) along with ticket to ride New York. Never actually played dungeons and dragons before so this looks like it will be a really good starting point. Secretly hoping my 6 year old will get into it too. Not holding out too much hope for my just turned 5 year old though!

I'd recommend Bag Of Dungeon too. It's dead easy and really good for teaching maths without being overly complex. Been playing it a couple of years with my son who is now ten and he loves it. We've just moved on to Hero Quest which might be a bit much for a 6 year old but it's a bit less than full blown D&D.

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, gaz2050 said:

Bought this for my nephew last Christmas. He was just 5 at the time and he loved it. My brother played it with him every weekend for months. My brother did all the 'DM' activities of controlling the monsters etc. but other than that there were no issues.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Played Hand to Hand Wombat (from the Exploding Kittens guys) which is a silly blindfolded-build-hanoi-towers-but-one-of-you-us-a-traitor, you know the sort of thing. It's great silly fun as a break between other games with Among Us style voting. 

Plus a few rounds of Dice Throne which is a dice 'em up with a snifter of deck building. Thought I would hate it but I want to buy all of the expansions right now. Lots of strategy but lots of luck in playing cards at just the right time if only the fucking dice would go your way. 

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Played Hand to Hand Wombat (from the Exploding Kittens guys) which is a silly blindfolded-build-hanoi-towers-but-one-of-you-us-a-traitor, you know the sort of thing. It's great silly fun as a break between other games with Among Us style voting. 

Plus a few rounds of Dice Throne which is a dice 'em up with a snifter of deck building. Thought I would hate it but I want to buy all of the expansions right now. Lots of strategy but lots of luck in playing cards at just the right time if only the fucking dice would go your way. 

Also, from what I can see they're being much more fair minded in their pricing. The Marvel sets cost the same as the regular sets. Unlike Unmatched where the Marvel tax is very much in effect. Heard Dice Throne described as Advanced King of Tokyo, which sounds fun to be fair.

Speaking of King of Tokyo, I was at Tabletop Gaming Live a few weeks ago (Lot of fun. Will go again!), and saw they were demoing King of Monster Island, a kind of co-op pseudo sequel. Didn't get the chance to play it but it looks lovely on the table and has gone right onto the Christmas list.

Also, as loathe as I am to siphon money into the pocket of Mike Ashley, the Game website was selling some stuff for ridiculous prices a couple weeks ago. Might be worth a look for a couple of bargains.

Edited by BrodyGraham
......and one more thing.........

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/card-drafting/82013-wingspan-2nd-edition?gclid=CjwKCAjwzY2bBhB6EiwAPpUpZsGjqrTC2WKzXu0a8QIDI9xtWM0aoIQMC711NnjfPJLcDuVKTpAUIRoCxyQQAvD_BwE

Ive heard good things about Wingspan but not played it. However it’s on a Black Friday special in case it’s of interest

Speaking of Wayland games, the Bill and Ted game is an absolute steal at £15. I bought mine from them at this price months ago so it's not a Black Friday deal either.

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/gift-ideas/77465-bill-ted-s-riff-in-time-english

For an extra tenner, you can get the Rufus expansion which doesn't add much in the way of gameplay but does have a full set of mini figures for the historical characters (instead of using the cardboard ones from the base set).

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/card-drafting/82013-wingspan-2nd-edition?gclid=CjwKCAjwzY2bBhB6EiwAPpUpZsGjqrTC2WKzXu0a8QIDI9xtWM0aoIQMC711NnjfPJLcDuVKTpAUIRoCxyQQAvD_BwE

Ive heard good things about Wingspan but not played it. However it’s on a Black Friday special in case it’s of interest

Wingspan is one of my favourites. Well worth it.

Totally agree with @Onyx2 Wingspan is tremendous fun and the art on the cards is rather lovely too.

As an expansion junkie I can recommend the Europe & Oceania expansions but the base game is complete in itself.

Just having a read back and see I mentioned getting Twilight Inscription further back. Got it to the table last week and it felt like a game where you need two or three plays to get comfortable with it.

First play of Longshot The Dice Game coming up tomorrow.  

• Paid Members
On 4/24/2017 at 12:45 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

I played a game called Tsuro yesterday for the first time. Really quick and fun. Good with a group. Seemed to have enough depth and skill to it to have some decent longevity but time will tell on that.

Well worth a go.

I went to a board game bar in Montreal. I am not really a gamer. My daughter has just started playing D&D but otherwise no games are played at home.

There were 4 adults and my 9 year old daughter and we played both this and Santorini which is a game you need to build a tower. That was fun, but really enjoyed Tsuro. Easy to pick up, hard to master. May try and pick up the base game for Christmas. Any of the expansions any good do you know?

• Awards Moderator
19 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

There were 4 adults and my 9 year old daughter and we played both this and Santorini which is a game you need to build a tower. That was fun, but really enjoyed Tsuro. Easy to pick up, hard to master. May try and pick up the base game for Christmas. Any of the expansions any good do you know?

I fucking HATE Santorini! Such an unbalanced pile of nonsense. If you liked Tsuro try Carcassonne which has a pleasingly simple pick up - place mechanic which is easy to understand and gradually can get more sophisticated as you appreciate the strategy.