The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Late to the party but I got Pandemic for my birthday and had a couple of games last night. Great game, no idea why it's taken me so long to finally play it. Already looking at the expansions to extend it to a 5 player.

Pandemic is one of the best purchases I ever made. A friend of mine has the On The Edge and the In The Lab expansions, and pretty much all the variants you can have with them are excellent, with the possible exception of the Bio-Terrorist role - we played it a couple of times, didn't see the appeal at all (although I accept that maybe it was a case of getting used to how it works).

I've also got Pandemic: Reign of Chthulhu, which, as the name suggests, is based on Lovecraftian horror. Instead of disease, you have to fight cultists and Shoggoths (demonic creatures) while trying to close the four gates that the Old Ones will try to use to enter our dimension to enslave the world to madness - you lose if Chthulhu himself gets through. It's beautifully designed, and really draws on the Lovecraftian aesthetic, but sadly the games are a little on the short side, and it doesn't have loads of replay value. I've been looking at modifying some fan-made scenarios for the regular Pandemic to see if I can make them fit this one, and give it a bit more life.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:39 PM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Anyway, I made it a couple of years ago and swear by citadel paints for everything. I fancy getting back in to miniature painting, and was a big fan of necromunda redemptionist & goliath figures back in the day. Is there anything similar these days? Also, are GM stores friendly with people who just want to go and paint, even if not GM products?

GW have actually bought back a few of those classic games in recent years, Blood Bowl and Necromunda being amongst them but the stores and stuff can be a bit iffy over painting minis or indeed playing them. A friend of mine and his kid went up to Warhammer World and the staff were a bit iffy about them grabbing a table to play Blood Bowl on because he was using his old miniatures that they made but as it wasn't 40k or the failed "Age of Sigmar" experiment none of the staff recognised it.

Regarding the Dredd game, Warlord Games did release it a few years ago and didn't really support it or launch it properly. The rules though weren't bad but it was one of those games that was more about the models than actually playing. Kind of like the Batman Miniatures Game.

Edited by lanky316

I'm thinking of getting Warhammer Nightvault/ Beastgrave/ Shadespire as it looks more board gamey than traditional Warhammer and I like the idea of the additional warbands being fairly cheap to pick up and games only lasting half an hour or so. Has anybody got any experience of these games? How easy is it to adapt to being 3 or 4 player? Are there any alternatives (not skirmish games, more board based) that are worth looking at in a similar price range?

On 4/25/2019 at 1:26 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Played 4 or 5 games of Quacks of Quedlinburg now and have a good feel for it. Really enjoying it! Seems like a very well balanced game with good variation, and there's always a feeling that anyone could win. Pace is great too, and I love the whole look and feel; nice design. Definitely recommended.

Is it going to make your average 6 year old want to punch you in the face? Mine has decided, rather randomly that she wants it, but I don't know if she's gonna understand it?

• Moderators

Hmm. I'm trying to think if I could get my nephews to play it.... Maybe,  but it wouldn't be my first choice of game for them. It's one of those games that everyone says sounds really confusing when I explain it before we play but it clicks quickly once we get going. There are a lot of little things to remember to play it 'optimally', but on balance.. I'd say if you do go for it then make sure you understand it well before you get her in on it.

Incidentally everyone who I've introduced to it has loved it and I'm now directly responsible for at least several sales for them. It really is a great game that we're still playing regularly.

With my nephews of the same age I recently picked up Ghost Fighting Treasure Hunters. It's a nice chance of pace for them to play something co-op, and they really enjoyed it. Looking forward to playing again and it can actually be pretty tough and strategic. I like that it has a few optional modifiers to make it gradually harder as you play more.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

25 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Incidentally everyone who I've introduced to it has loved it and I'm now directly responsible for at least several sales for them. It really is a great game that we're still playing regularly.

With my nephews of the same age I recently picked up Ghost Fighting Treasure Hunters. It's a nice chance of pace for them to play something co-op, and they really enjoyed it. Looking forward to playing again and it can actually be pretty tough and strategic. I like that it has a few optional modifiers to make it gradually harder as you play more.

I've just ordered a copy of Grimm Forest for her, but I'm contemplating Quacks as 'One for Daddy' just in case. I'm also humming and hahing over Kingdomino. We don't live near our family, so she doesn't get spoiled with a mountain of chocolate over Easter, so it's kind of morphed into a third gifting holiday in our house, very much a distant 3rd, kind of a kids Mother's/Father's Day.

The problem that we have is, like all six year olds now, she's got a YouTube habit, so she picks up on what games are hot, super quickly.

She's been asking about Horrified as a bump into slightly beefier games as well. That's another that looks really cool, sort of a Universal Monsters take on a Pandemic style co-op game. The plan, originally was to get My Little Scythe but it's price was a little too steep for a small to mid level present. 

• Paid Members

Quacks would probably work for a small kid as you can still play it even if you aren't entirely sure what you're doing. The bulk of the game is deciding whether or not to take another token from the bag. The only other decision is what ingredient to buy at the end of your turn, but unless you're really overthinking it, you'd normally just buy the most expensive one you can afford. Also, only a couple of the ingredients (which each have a special power/rule) are out at the start and the rest come in one-by-one, so you don't have to explain all of them at the start.

The main questions to ask yourself are whether the child will be able to get a basic grasp of probability and whether they'll get upset if they have bad outcomes (whether through bad luck or bad judgment.)

One possibility is that one of the ingredients lets you undo/redo a bad token draw. You could surreptitiously stick a couple of them in the child's stash for the first game so they are less likely to crash and burn so much, then give them the normal starting set for future games.

7 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Quacks would probably work for a small kid as you can still play it even if you aren't entirely sure what you're doing. The bulk of the game is deciding whether or not to take another token from the bag. The only other decision is what ingredient to buy at the end of your turn, but unless you're really overthinking it, you'd normally just buy the most expensive one you can afford. Also, only a couple of the ingredients (which each have a special power/rule) are out at the start and the rest come in one-by-one, so you don't have to explain all of them at the start.

The main questions to ask yourself are whether the child will be able to get a basic grasp of probability and whether they'll get upset if they have bad outcomes (whether through bad luck or bad judgment.)

One possibility is that one of the ingredients lets you undo/redo a bad token draw. You could surreptitiously stick a couple of them in the child's stash for the first game so they are less likely to crash and burn so much, then give them the normal starting set for future games.

Oooh, clever.

To be fair there's a healthy chance that she could throw a massive strop but one of the reasons we play games is to get that sort of thing out of her, both in the sense of blowing off steam and training her to think differently.

Food for thought. Cheers gents!

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

I've just ordered a copy of Grimm Forest for her, but I'm contemplating Quacks as 'One for Daddy' just in case. I'm also humming and hahing over Kingdomino. We don't live near our family, so she doesn't get spoiled with a mountain of chocolate over Easter, so it's kind of morphed into a third gifting holiday in our house, very much a distant 3rd, kind of a kids Mother's/Father's Day.

The problem that we have is, like all six year olds now, she's got a YouTube habit, so she picks up on what games are hot, super quickly.

She's been asking about Horrified as a bump into slightly beefier games as well. That's another that looks really cool, sort of a Universal Monsters take on a Pandemic style co-op game. The plan, originally was to get My Little Scythe but it's price was a little too steep for a small to mid level present. 

Horrified is a shit load of fun.  Plays well solo too.  Quite a few home made add ons for it on BGG.

9 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

God help me, but I've gotten back into playing Magic: The Gathering. Something I haven't touched since I was 17, but mostly by playing online on MTG Arena. I may have drunkenly ordered a box of cards.

Have you considered Keyforge? It's a Richard Garfield game as well, but instead of building decks, each deck you buy is unique, potentially making the buy in much smaller. Unless you buy a fuck load of decks.

1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

Have you considered Keyforge? It's a Richard Garfield game as well, but instead of building decks, each deck you buy is unique, potentially making the buy in much smaller. Unless you buy a fuck load of decks.

I have played Keyforge, my biggest problem with the game is there isn't much in the way of interaction between the players. All you're doing is sitting there trying to put a kind of machine together, without being able to interrupt your opponent's attempt to put together his machine. Also some of the decks are just dogshit and don't really work. So you end up spending 9 quid for something that's useless.