The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

I got Mage Knight off wifey, not had chance to play yet as it’s a biggy!  Treated myself to wingspan and fallout wasteland warfare.  Played Oh my Goods! A hell of a lot, cracking little game, will be starting the Longsdale campaign soon.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Without wanting to dumb down too much, eldest got monopoly junior for Christmas and it's so much better than normal monopoly! 

Spot on. Vanilla Monopoly is a gruelling battle of attrition where the winner has been decided after the first lap. I think Hasbro know this and all the licensed expansions have hard time limits and gimmicks that flip ownership quickly. 

Still a shit core game though. 

@Thunderplex - let me know how the Fallout game plays. Is it a Warhammer-esque skirmish game? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Spot on. Vanilla Monopoly is a gruelling battle of attrition where the winner has been decided after the first lap. I think Hasbro know this and all the licensed expansions have hard time limits and gimmicks that flip ownership quickly. 

Still a shit core game though. 

@Thunderplex - let me know how the Fallout game plays. Is it a Warhammer-esque skirmish game? 

It is indeed.  Seemingly has a great solo AI as part of the game, so will let you know how I go on.

3 hours ago, hallicks said:

Without wanting to dumb down too much, eldest got monopoly junior for Christmas and it's so much better than normal monopoly! 

I know I’ve posted about it before, but Cluedo Junior is way better than Cluedo as well. Forget murders, which fucker ate all the cookies!!!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I know I’ve posted about it before, but Cluedo Junior is way better than Cluedo as well. Forget murders, which fucker ate all the cookies!!!

Ralphy.

I got the D&D Essentials for Christmas set after weeks of subtle hints to the wife. I keep opening the box and glancing at the rule book but it feels so daunting. I've had a bit of a peruse on Youtube but I'm worse than my kids when it comes to watching long videos on there, I want accessible chunks but even the "Creating a character" videos are 30-45 minutes long and it's taking the fun out of wanting to learn to play.

Can anybody point me in the direction for some good online learning material? Failing that I reckon I might learn better just getting a seasoned DM to take me through a few encounters and just using a pre-built character sheet.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Can anybody point me in the direction for some good online learning material?

Go find a local game shop. They should be happy to bring in a new guy and show them how to get started. 

Just quizzed my D&D obsessed son. He recommends this for beginners. 

https://youtu.be/-oIIZJeVGpc

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I got the D&D Essentials for Christmas set after weeks of subtle hints to the wife. I keep opening the box and glancing at the rule book but it feels so daunting. I've had a bit of a peruse on Youtube but I'm worse than my kids when it comes to watching long videos on there, I want accessible chunks but even the "Creating a character" videos are 30-45 minutes long and it's taking the fun out of wanting to learn to play.

Can anybody point me in the direction for some good online learning material? Failing that I reckon I might learn better just getting a seasoned DM to take me through a few encounters and just using a pre-built character sheet.

I'm happy to help you out if you want some - I DM a game regularly. 

• 1 month later...

I'm sure Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride will have been mentioned here a few times, so if you're curious, you have until next Thursday at 4pm to get PC versions of them both for free:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/carcassonne/home

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ticket-to-ride/home

(I know this is contrary to the thread title, but although it's video game related I reckon it's slightly more relevant to readers of this one than What Play You. At least you've heard of them.)

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Primed around 70 minis last Saturday.  Doing a massive binge paint tomorrow.

Ahhh, love a good painting session. My last lot were the Fallout minis:

20200208_092739-2016x1134.thumb.jpg.f4f588635f5793b69ae48598a38237c5.jpg

How was the Fallout skirmish game? 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Ahhh, love a good painting session. My last lot were the Fallout minis:

20200208_092739-2016x1134.thumb.jpg.f4f588635f5793b69ae48598a38237c5.jpg

How was the Fallout skirmish game? 

They are among the minis I undercoated last week, along with the expansion!  You’ve done them well!

Not played the skirmish game yet.  Off the week after next so hoping to get some me time to go through it properly.

Edited by Thunderplex