The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Awards Moderator
On 9/29/2014 at 9:53 PM, Thunderplex said:

Heard a few good things about this game. The coop with individual goals theme makes me want to give It a go.

Four years later (this thread has been going a while!) I played Dead of Winter over the weekend. I didn't quite like it at first, but we stopped to watch the TableTop review and it clicked how you're supposed to play up the tension through roleplay. After that we had a blast with it. Through a key admin mistake we revealed the traitor one turn before the end, so exiled him from the game. Good fun though.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Four years later (this thread has been going a while!) I played Dead of Winter over the weekend. I didn't quite like it at first, but we stopped to watch the TableTop review and it clicked how you're supposed to play up the tension through roleplay. After that we had a blast with it. Through a key admin mistake we revealed the traitor one turn before the end, so exiled him from the game. Good fun though.

And 4 years later I still want to give it a go!

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

As a family treat we bought The Sock Game. Simple game. Two socks, many different items, a spinner and two pieces. Aim is to find the object the spinner lands on in the sock using only one hand. You move a space forward per win. Very simple but can be played by all ages. Was a hit at Christmas 

• Paid Members

Rhino Hero is a cracking game for everyone. Just spent all my Christmas money on Mansions of Madness, the Fallout Boardgame, Red November and Fields of Green, which will keep me quiet for a while!

I played Betrayal At House On The Hill over the festive season.  Was decent enough but the "Haunting" happened when people were in an advantageous position and everyone got out very quickly.  Played it at a friends house with people I'd never met before who had played it before, but it was easy enough to pick up as I went along.

12 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Other half bought Ticket to Ride for Christmas, which is fantastic. It's a bit like Risk, but with trains. The sense of satisfaction you get when nobbling another player by blocking their line is tremendous. 

Ticket to ride is a classic modern board game, there are so many expansions and different continents to play on as well.

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

I played Betrayal At House On The Hill over the festive season.  Was decent enough but the "Haunting" happened when people were in an advantageous position and everyone got out very quickly.  Played it at a friends house with people I'd never met before who had played it before, but it was easy enough to pick up as I went along.

The thing with the game is there are so many different scenarios for the hauntings, that it can be piss easy, rock hard or quite tense. it is a very easy game to play though.

My school has launched a Warhammer/miniatures club and I forgot that I would help out. Fast forward 5 weeks and I have found great pleasure in assembling and painting space marines. The good thing is that it's all free as the local shop has provided a load of freebies to get students hooked. 

Can't believe how expensive things can be though; £10 for 3 marines and £15 for a fine brush? Christ.

Looking forward to playing in the new term.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Other half bought Ticket to Ride for Christmas, which is fantastic. It's a bit like Risk, but with trains. The sense of satisfaction you get when nobbling another player by blocking their line is tremendous. 

If Ticket to Ride had have come out in the 60’s or 70’s it would be a household name like Monopoly or Cluedo.  Amazing game.