The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

I was randomly looking at a list of all of the monopoly variants and I'm tempted to pick one up.

Have any of you got a non- traditional version of monopoly and has it made the game any better for you? I know it's obviously the same game, rules and concept, but if you are a big James Bond fan, the 007 version could add that extra bit of fun.. at a guess?

• Moderators

Nah. Monopoly is shit however you dress it up.

I got AtmosFear, curse of the mummy (DVD version) in a charity shop for £3 today! Looking forward to having some fun with it. I think one play through will be sufficient and then back to the charity shop again it goes for some other lucky beggar to pick up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I was randomly looking at a list of all of the monopoly variants and I'm tempted to pick one up.

Have any of you got a non- traditional version of monopoly and has it made the game any better for you? I know it's obviously the same game, rules and concept, but if you are a big James Bond fan, the 007 version could add that extra bit of fun.. at a guess?

Monopoly Cities was good fun.  You are building sewage plants and the like.  Also Monopoly Deal the card game is a great filler.  Easy to pick up,for a couple of quid too.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Nah. Monopoly is shit however you dress it up.

I got AtmosFear, curse of the mummy (DVD version) in a charity shop for £3 today! Looking forward to having some fun with it. I think one play through will be sufficient and then back to the charity shop again it goes for some other lucky beggar to pick up.

Oh, shit. I had Atmosfear: The Harbingers when I was a kid. Loved it.

• Awards Moderator

@FelatioLips try Massive Darkness for the trappings with Zombicide rules, or Pathfinder for a more gentle D&D game.

Been away for a week. Played lots of Codenames (word association to convince players to select the right card - very tense) and Obama Llama (stupid rhyming game. I love it). 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

It always ends in tears, made worse by "family rules" that drag it out to 6 hours plus a time.  I was in my twenties when I discovered that I'd been lied to the entire time with regard to the actual rules of Monopoly.

My and my girlfriend play Game of Thrones Monopoly sometimes and always disagree about whose family rules should be in play. For me, income tax and all that should always go in the middle for someone to get when they land on Free Parking.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So some friends came over for the weekend, and they very kindly brought me an awesome birthday present in the form of Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu. Just as great as, if not better than, the original game. One of the things I noticed about it is that we could switch between both games and not be bored, because whilst they're variants of the same game, there's enough difference in gameplay and overall aesthetics to make it refreshing each time.

We also played one of our classic favourites, Chaos In The Old World, which is still to date one of the absolute best games I've ever played (and Games Workshop, true to corporate form, have now discontinued it despite its popularity and critical acclaim, so I'm glad I've got my copy).

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Played my first board game last night since growing pubes, it was called Tales Of The Arabian Nights or something similar.  Didn't have a clue what was going on but picked it up as we went along and I somehow won.

Guessing you must've had to paws it for a little while...

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Played my first board game last night since growing pubes, it was called Tales Of The Arabian Nights or something similar.  Didn't have a clue what was going on but picked it up as we went along and I somehow won.

Classic game.  I had a copy in the late 80’s and it went missing.  Been after the new edition for a while.