The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Someone recommended Azul to me recently. Sounds good, but similar to Sagrada, so I'm thinking if I buy Sagrada, I might borrow someone's copy of Azul afterwards to see whether or not it would be too similar as to make it redundant.

Also had Rising Sun recommended to me, and (yes, I know it sounds typical of me) I'm very interested. Verrrrry interested.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

One that I left out was Joking Hazard. It's the ever-familiar Cards Against Humanity concept, but using comic style pictures from the people who do the Oatmeal. You're trying to complete a three-panel comic for maximum offensive humour. It's not exactly a deep strategic exercise, but having the three panels gives a bit more scope for creating an actual story that makes sense (if of course that's what that round's judge considers important.)

KA0oNka.jpg

gp8k943dbsty.jpg

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, JNLister said:

Forgot to post a link to a piece I did last month recapping the new games I've played this year:

https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2018/04/02/recent-board-games-reviews-part-1/

and

https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2018/04/03/recent-board-game-review-part-2/

Nice write-up...

It’s certainly not fun

I was enjoying the review of This War of Mine until that! It does sound interesting though.

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of Dobble. In case it's not been mentioned in the thread already, it's a card game.

image.jpg

Every card has one matching symbol with every other card, and it is played in various short rounds based on finding the matching symbols before the other players. Every time I've played it in a group of four or more has been great fun.

I recently got the Sons of Anarchy board game, which I've read very positive things about but I've never really played board games with the weird dice and stuff, so I don't know how I'll fare. I went to the gaming expo at the NEC a few weeks ago and picked up Deadpool vs The World, which is kind of a Deadpool take on Cards Against Humanity, I think - not had chance to have a go at it yet. While there, my friend who is into Warhammer models tried to talk me through a game of Necromunda and I hadn't a clue. Seeing the Labyrinth and Dark Crystal games did inspire me to check if there was ever a Highlander tabletop game, and there are two coming out later in the year!

highlanderprinces_1024x1024.jpg

Edited by King Pitcos

• Awards Moderator

Dobble is fucking GREAT. Works from anyone 5 years old plus. Takes 2 seconds to explain and it becomes so intense as you swear there's no matches on the two cards everyone is looking at. But there always is. 

Pro tip: don't buy any licensed or adapted versions. The original was perfect and all the variants just aren't as strong. 

Dobble is advanced snap, and it is indeed great!

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Dobble is fucking GREAT. Works from anyone 5 years old plus. Takes 2 seconds to explain and it becomes so intense as you swear there's no matches on the two cards everyone is looking at. But there always is. 

Pro tip: don't buy any licensed or adapted versions. The original was perfect and all the variants just aren't as strong. 

I'm not sure I'd agree with the last part - only because today I played Dobble Animals for the first time, and I'd put it up there with the original, and definitely worth getting if you've played original Dobble a lot. It's the same number of cards and same number of symbols per card as the original, whereas most of the adapted versions have fewer of both (and are thus easier for kids). The Disney Princess one, and presumably Star Wars etc, is worth playing if you've got a group where some people are fans and some aren't, because the variation in what they'll call out is fun.

I can heartily recommend Rhino Hero and Rhino Hero Super Battle for anyone looking for a cool game for the young ones.

They're both card stacking games of varying degrees of complexity but my four year old daughter and my 42 year old gaming buddy enjoy both.

I don't know if it's been mentioned earlier but The Resistance and it's various off shoots are very good games for identifying which of your friends are terrifying sociopaths.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got finished with a couple of games of Luchador! Mexican Wrestling Dice with my little one. It's essentially Lucha Yahtzee. Dead easy to play with the basic rules but there's advanced rules that give the characters unique play styles and strengths and weaknesses as well as match types. There are also rules regarding title shots if you're party playing.

Functionally good looking art and it comes with it's own wrestling ring which adds to the gimmick. 

Decent little purchase.