The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

I was interested in that Sagrada game Lister posted, but I looked it up online and it's rather expensive. Think I'll have to wait for the price to come down or until I find a second-hand set on eBay.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's not actually in stock with retailers yet. The copy I've played is from one of our group who funded it on Kickstarter. I assume the high price is people selling their Kickstarter copies before it's more widely available.

Recently got back in to gaming after a long break. One of my mates has got a boardgame bint on and been playing lots of Pandemic and other Matt Leacock games including Forbidden Island as he likes Co-op games. Tsuro of the Seas is pretty fun causing elaborate other player deaths. As he is quite new to things and I'm well out of practice are there any Co-Op games that he should be looking out for? We tried Mysterium, but my god is it dull on execution

40 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Zombicide might be the apex of co-op at the moment. 

Zombicide: Black Plague is the best one to get. This review hits the nail on the head and helps explain the basics of the game.

He also reviews Dead Of Winter, which is a great game which is primarily co-operative. It does have the chance of there being a person with a hidden agenda who wants you to lose, but having played games with no betrayer it can still be tough.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Zombicide might be the apex of co-op at the moment. 

23 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Zombicide: Black Plague is the best one to get. This review hits the nail on the head and helps explain the basics of the game.

He also reviews Dead Of Winter, which is a great game which is primarily co-operative. It does have the chance of there being a person with a hidden agenda who wants you to lose, but having played games with no betrayer it can still be tough.

Cheers,guys that looks spot on! I shall get it recommended. 

• Paid Members

Just bought Caverna.  Fuck me, it weighs a ton.  Heaviest game I have ever owned, and it's completely full of stuff.  I need to sort out some kind of storage system before I even think of giving it a go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The other half bought Monopoly Gamer earlier and me and my Brother just had a game there. Absolutely class. Basically it's Mario Party X Monopoly.
Instead of money you get coins and the buying/selling/auctioning is massively simplified. You roll 2 dice instead of 1, with one being the number spaces you move and the other being a powerup, e.g Red Shell (any player drops 3 coins), POW (all players drop 1 coin), or Coin Block (collect 3 from the bank). If you drop coins they stay on that space until someone passes and picks them up.
Every time you pass GO you get 2 coins and a chance to fight the boss by rolling certain numbers and paying to fight it. The game continues until Bowser is beaten, and then all coins, properties, boss cards have a Points value. Whoever has the most points when Bowser is beaten wins.
There's character-specific abilities too which add a good dimension to the game.

It's heaps of fun if you like Mario Party or want a simple/more exciting version of Monopoly for kids.

• Paid Members

Played "We Haven't Playtested This At All" at the pub the other night for my ex's birthday, it's ridiculous fun.

I normally don't like playing new board or card games outside of a select circle of friends, because it's always a ballache when there's one person who understands the rules already, or having to read from the instructions, and other people not getting the hang of it at the same pace, or never quite getting it at all, and I just got fed up with it.

But this game pretty much runs off that dynamic - it's so completely unbalanced and intentionally random that there's no way one person can have an advantage, but also that it's not made any less fun if you're not winning, or if you're getting screwed over, because it's so ridiculous.

Cards like "Who Wants A Present?", where everyone has to say Yes or No, and if you say Yes, you lose, because the present turned out to be Poisonous Snakes. Or a card called "PC" which is just "If you play this, everybody wins", or cards were you automatically win if your birthday is month, or if someone else at the table is wearing blue, or whatever. Great fun.

• Paid Members

The Arkham Horror Card Game is frigging wonderful.  Once you get into the flow it's very straightforward, but dripping with theme.  Replayability may be limited, but I have 6 months worth of expansions to work through, somshould take me sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 31/07/2017 at 11:15 AM, BomberPat said:

Played "We Haven't Playtested This At All" at the pub the other night for my ex's birthday, it's ridiculous fun.

Great game, plus the various add ons and the sequel just add to the strangeness.

Just got Bears Vs Babies, great game with a simple game mechanic. If you like Exploding Kittens then you'll like this.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack
Typo