The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Digging out this thread after I played Cards Against Humanity last night for the first time. Playing it, I haven't laughed so much in god knows how many years. Absolutely funny as fuck with the right group of friends. Anyone heard of/played it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Anyone tried the Game of Thrones board game?

Yeah, and it's ace. Although it'll take a good few goes at it before you can even begin to figure out actual strategies. The first play-through is immensely confusing, and you'll take about an hour to set the board up. With each successive play, you'll think "Okay, I've got this," but realise you haven't at all when some unthought-of piece of strategy has a massive effect, adding to the things you have to keep in mind next time. Once you do get the hang of it, it's very much worth your time (about 3-4 hours a session), and there's so much going on, and so much to think about, every game is wildly different, and filled with those moments where everyone throws their hands up and does a big "Holy shit..."

We played our first game of this this weekend. What a deceptively complex game. Each turn is actually quite simpiistic but having to fight a war on so many fronts means it's hard to keep all the possible scenarios in your head. I almost wanted to write out my plan on paper so I wouldn't forget it turn to turn! Lots of fun though, an excellent way to fall out with mates through temporary alliances. A great one to play for people who enjoy a serious board game.

EDIT: I should add, we spent 4 hours and didn't finish our game, we tapped out at 1am. Everyone agreed I was going to win that go though!

Edited by Onyx2

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Got Pandemic for Christmas and played it New Year's Eve, mainly for the inverted snobbery anti-coolness factor. The first time we played it we won with literally one player card left. Then we realised we'd screwed up by not realising you had to be at a research centre when you cure a disease.

Played it a second time and won relatively comfortable, only to then realise we'd missed that if you pass somebody a card, they immediately have to cut down to 7 cards -- can't really work out if that would have took us to defeat, but the missus (in the scientist role) did have two sets of four cards, which she played in one magical turn, something we now realise is impossible.

Has anyone played Twilight Struggle? I really like the look of it, but it looks like it would be a very long first play through and £35 is a lot for something unless you'll be certain you'd enjoy it.

• Paid Members

Twilight struggle is excellent. You are right about the first game taking an age, but once you are in the swing of it, it moves like clockwork. One of the best 2 player games out there. It is a gamers type of game, meaning that it's probrably not the best to play with a newcomer to tactical gaming, but I was surprised that Wifey took to it quite well. Expensive, but a classic.

• Paid Members

Pandemic is a wonderful gateway game, like Ticket to Ride. Gets new gamers out of the roll and move mindset and into the strategy end of it. It does indeed get samey after a while, but the expansions help with that.

Well I've rolled my first D&D character in years, had quite a bit of fun doing too as I'm going to be playing with a laid back group that won't mind a little bit of humour and silliness being thrown in. My cha is pretty much a carbon copy of Big Boss from MGS right now, just in a fantasy setting.

• Paid Members

I guess time will tell with Pandemic, though from what I can see so far, playing it as two-players should make it more unpredictable as you've got about 20 different possible combinations of roles, which should affect the strategy a lot.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Spent the last 5 days entrenched in the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Completely in love with it. Takes me back to the good old days of basic D&D before it got all serious. Plays wonderfully solo, and I can see it being an excellent coop game.