The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

My group of friends just finished our Risk:Legacy campaign. 15 games over as many months; it's been an incredible experience. If you don't know anything about it, it's standard Risk (boring) but with rule changes and board changes that carry over from game to game. So a new city might be founded by you, giving you a bonus next game. Or a territory becomes cursed and no-one wants to occupy it. And you get stickers to stick into the rulebook to replace old rules, and other cards are torn up - TORN UP - when discarded. If you haven't heard of it, please don't read up about it as you will get spoiled, but this Eurogamer review tipped us over the edge to buy it.

I've recently got my son into Blood Bowl and built him his own pitch. That was great fun.

I was always interested in pick this up ! What is the replayability afterwards ? 

edit - actually I am guessing the tearing of the cards answers my question

Edited by sick love song

I love board games. Last night on earth is a good one if anyone is a fan of zombies! or humans! (I always vie for the wrestler zombie in humans)

I have also started getting into the game of thrones card game which is really good , With LOTS of expansion packs to waste invest my wages on, it can be played straight out the box casually or start delving into deck building if you were inclined.

main task is getting people to play with me .... I have previously bribed the missus to play a board game with me with hoovering... then after i have finihsed she chooses 'scrabble

:-(

• Moderators

Talking of Scrabble, what's the most extraordinary feat of gaming you've ever witnessed in person?

A couple of Christmases ago, my cousin -- an incredible gamer -- used all his tiles on a word twice in a single game of Scrabble, both times across a triple-word tile. I can't be exact, but I think he finished with about a billion points.

The next game, he did it once more. I've never seen anything like it.

• Awards Moderator

My group of friends just finished our Risk:Legacy campaign.

I was always interested in pick this up ! What is the replayability afterwards ?

You still have a complete and unique board to play Risk with afterwards. The tearing cards thing is more "pick one of these two cards to add to the deck, and throw the other away." As the game evolves there are sealed envelopes opened as conditions are met.

Whilst we can use that board, we're debating buying another new board and starting the game all over again.

• Awards Moderator

Bet it was a proud moment playing on the completed pitch with him.

Here's an gallery link if you're interested.

Father of the Year, right there. Fantastic stuff.

It was a secret birthday present. A BB pitch is 26 x 15 tiles. My mould makes 12 at a time. It takes about 90 mins for the plaster to go off so you can pop them out and repeat.

I'll let you do the math(s).

• Paid Members

Love that board! Looks rough and nasty, just like a Blodbowl pitch should be. It's great when we can share these things with our kids. Mine loves all things Marvel, so my marvel heroscape, marvel heroes ffg board game, and hero lox are getting an airing, along with the Dicemaster stuff.

Talking of Scrabble, what's the most extraordinary feat of gaming you've ever witnessed in person?

A couple of Christmases ago, my cousin -- an incredible gamer -- used all his tiles on a word twice in a single game of Scrabble, both times across a triple-word tile. I can't be exact, but I think he finished with about a billion points.

The next game, he did it once more. I've never seen anything like it.

(you will have to forgive me its not a board game) Me and a mate played pitch and put, he was aweful (i wasn't great) but on the last hole after taking a million shots to get within approx 8 mtrs from the hole (still not on the green)he lay down and hit the ball with the end of his club snooker style and it went in.

i classed that as him beating me.

the same mate also once lost a game of warhammer 40,000 and gave his entire army away to a child who had been admiring it.. ...thats was pretty incredible

Edited by sick love song

My group of friends just finished our Risk:Legacy campaign.

You still have a complete and unique board to play Risk with afterwards. The tearing cards thing is more "pick one of these two cards to add to the deck, and throw the other away." As the game evolves there are sealed envelopes opened as conditions are met.

Whilst we can use that board, we're debating buying another new board and starting the game all over again.

that sounds really good ... now if i only had friends who liked spending regular/prolonged periods of time with me .....

• Awards Moderator

Have any of you played D&D/other Pen and Paper RPGs, or is that the last bastion of nerd-dom that you don't want to break? 

Loads of them, but not for about 16 years. Underground was probably my favourite, an obscure nihlistic cyberpunk scenario.

• Paid Members

I played D&D for a long time. Started in '82 just after I read Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and got my merry band of geeks into it very quickly. At least twice a week for the first few years, moving to 4 when I hit 16, all the way up to when I was about 27. This was when Vampire and such like took over and completely drained the fun out of it. Everyone started to take it way to seriously, which defeated the object for me, so I gave up and leant more towards board and war gaming. Played a bit of basic with my nephew and daughter since then, but nothing like my heyday.

Have any of you played D&D/other Pen and Paper RPGs, or is that the last bastion of nerd-dom that you don't want to break? 

What aboutLARP?

I havn't done either, though always been interested ...but  I get into things waaaay too much and I was always afraid it would lead me on an downward spiral which eventually lead me to having to have a supervision at work for making all my accounts balance with the roll of a 12 sided dice....

I already get a sympathetic/regretful look from my partner when i put monowar on in the car ....

• Moderators

That sounds a fun read.. I always wanted to play AD&D as a kid but it was just me and my brother, so he would DM and I had to play a bunch of separate characters. Was a bit shit :/

Moved on to Hero Quest which was more conducive to that kind of gaming, and then eventually Warhammer when I met friends at school who played that.