The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Today I will be mostly playing solo board games.  Just finished a game of basic legendary, and will be playing again wth expansions later.  Love this, really thematic.

Just about to play the Plague Inc board game. It's got a solobot player to go against, interested to see how it works.

IMG_0085.JPG

• Paid Members

I spent last week in a cabin in the woods playing board games (and Mafia) with some friends. It was very enjoyable and I got to try lots of new games. I also played a couple of games I'd played before, including my favourites in BSG and Legendary, but it was a great time had by all.

My favourite new game I tried was Sushi Go - which is a drafting game with cute sushi pictures and points to be scored - very simple, quite tactical, and very quick, which puts it high up on any list. Played it three times, spectacularly lost on each one.

Second on the list is Pandemic: Contagion - it's based off of Pandemic, which I hate, but is competitive. The best comparison I could give was that it's similar to Ticket To Ride- in that you use colours to do things, but it's also quite difficult.

Third up is a worker placement game called Keyflower - tiles are available depending upon the season, you have a finite number of workers, and you are trying to build a village. Was really good, even if we were crushed into playing for second place.

Fourth up is probably Codenames: Pictures - like normal Codenames but with pictures.

Then I also played Carson City - another worker placement game with a Western Theme, which was fine, and then my least favourite was Fuse. Fuse is a cooperative dice rolling game, with a 10 minute limit, where you are arguing about which dice you can take. Not for me.

I also finally got to play the RPG Goblin Quest, which I have owned for two-three years but never got round to playing. With five of us valiantly attempting to throw a cider-fuelled party, all five of my goblins sadly perished in hilarious ways.

Elsewhere, we beat Loki in Legendary, and I suffered two crushing defeats at BSG - in Game 1 both Cylons revealed pre-sleeper plus the Cylon Leader was aligned with them, and in Game 2 things were going well right up until the entire Cylon fleet jumped into empty space, killing six civilian ships and tanking our population. Still a lot of fun!

I am quite tempted to pick up Sushi Go.

• Paid Members

Anybody play any RPGs? I'd love to be able to just spend a couple of hours a week getting some D&D or something on with people. Even if it was over Skype or somesuch.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Anybody play any RPGs? I'd love to be able to just spend a couple of hours a week getting some D&D or something on with people. Even if it was over Skype or somesuch.

Me! I sort of run a session with people in real life but it's very sporadic. I usually play online using Roll20. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Me! I sort of run a session with people in real life but it's very sporadic. I usually play online using Roll20. 

I'll have to have a hunt for that.

• Awards Moderator

I played Obama Llama yesterday. What a hoot. It's built around rhyming a famous person with an activity, eg. Taylor Swift riding a forklift, Jay-Z having a wee. My brain is wired for stupid rhymes so I loved it. 

Mentioned before playing a lot of Codenames too, a very wordy game. Can you think of a word that you can link to three or four other words, and even better try and get someone else to understand your hints. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I played a game called Tsuro yesterday for the first time. Really quick and fun. Good with a group. Seemed to have enough depth and skill to it to have some decent longevity but time will tell on that.

Well worth a go.

I played the Tsuro of the Seas version the other week. Good fun, although if you play the version where sea monsters are in play and can eat the tiles (and your boat), it feels as though it genuinely could go on forever.

I knew I should have backed the Dark Souls kickstarter, I hate myself.

But, I did just buy the Bloodborne card game as it's on sale at amazon. It worked out around 27 quid shipped from the US which will likely be less than whatever is charged when it's released in the UK.