The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

That sounds a fun read.. I always wanted to play AD&D as a kid but it was just me and my brother, so he would DM and I had to play a bunch of separate characters. Was a bit shit :/

Moved on to Hero Quest which was more conducive to that kind of gaming, and then eventually Warhammer when I met friends at school who played that.

A couple of years ago i made the mistake of buying some warhammer because a mate played and i wanted something to do with him over a beer (he doesn't like wrestling) It was ok as a game and the painting/collecting element was fun... only trouble is now said mate only talks to me about warhammer ... 8-9 texts a day, in the pub, on the bus.

• Paid Members

I never really got into Warhammer - it was too expensive and just didn't seem fun to me.

I played in one really good D&D 3.5 campaign, with a half-elf rogue. We got to about level 8, but the roleplaying experience was marvellous - all down to our fantastic DM. I was the only player of the three never to go unconscious/near death, somehow. It was pretty good though. I enjoy DMing, but I've never really got into it loads because when I moved home from Uni I didn't have anyone to play with, and all my Skype attempts failed miserably. I do prefer playing, though!

What was the first board game you bought? I went in, and went hard when I finally took the plunge - I got Arkham Horror. For those of you who don't know, Arkham Horror takes about an hour to set up, and it could all be over within another hour! I played a six hour game once...it was fairly good but I don't tend to play it very often because a lot of people hate it.You vs the board is fun, to an extent, but it does get irritating when it looks like you won't be able to win!

Yep warhammer is a rip off, 50 quid for a rule book, 30 Quid for the army codexes 20-40 Quid for the models ... and then 100s of pounds later when you have the rules and all the models you want they release a new version of the rules (which you have to buy) which turns out makes all the stuff you have just bought shite now and you have to go out and buy a load of new stuff (which have all gone up in price)

first Board game i picked up was Zombies! been hooked since

• Moderators

I used to loiter in Games Workshop reading the rule books and then go outside and write down what I could remember. Then me and my bro would cut cardboard templates to represent our armies.

Obviously eventually I did save up enough to buy stuff when I played with people from school as I would have been way too embarrassed to try to pull that shit. Also I really enjoyed painting the figures. But yeah, hella expensive.

I found painting the figures more entertaining than the game to be honest. the game is basically an expensive game of rock paper scissors. 

however, as much as the price and hard selling shope staff get on my tits ... i never turn down going to the HQ in Nottingham .... nachos on a burger with a jerimiah weed ... yes please !

I found the original Blood Bowl in a charity shop today, my heart sank as I opened it to find the board missing :( Best £1 I would have ever spent. Played a lot of it as a kid, my Skaven team topped the local GW league many times.

• Awards Moderator

I found the original Blood Bowl in a charity shop today, my heart sank as I opened it to find the board missing :( Best £1 I would have ever spent. Played a lot of it as a kid, my Skaven team topped the local GW league many times.

Printable boards are available online.

http://www.gamingcorner.nl/board-download.htm

• Paid Members

The steam ports are as good as any boardgame conversion out there. Fun for a bit, but you just want a board in front of you and figures to fondle. I have loads of gaming ports on the ipad, but they just don't beat the real thing.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Home alone this weekend, so i'm having a solo games convention! On the table will be Pandemic, Agrigola, Friday, DC Deckbuilding Game, and if I can muster the courage, Arkham Horror. Expecting a good turnout.

• Awards Moderator

Home alone this weekend, so i'm having a solo games convention! On the table will be Pandemic, Agrigola, Friday, DC Deckbuilding Game, and if I can muster the courage, Arkham Horror. Expecting a good turnout.

Can you do Pandemic solo?

• Paid Members

I never really got into Warhammer - it was too expensive and just didn't seem fun to me.

I had a wander through Games Workshop last weekend to kill some time and the prices just floored me. Admittedly it's been 20+ years since I've bought anything, but back then an expansion pack cost me two weeks paper-round money, not two weeks full time in a proper job money.

• Paid Members

Can you do Pandemic solo?

You can indeed. Just play a normal 2, 3 or 4 player game on your own, taking separate turns for all the characters. All the gun of a co-op without irritating fellow players!