The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Treated myself to The Walking Dead - All Out War miniature game last week.  Amazing system that brings the full flavour of the comics to the table.  

Not painted minis for ages so decided to start with my superstar Showdown figs.  Halfway through Daniel Bryan at the moment, and quite pleased wth the result up to now seeing as it's 15 years since I last did one.

IMG_0100.JPG

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Lovely skin tones Plexy. What left to do? 

Cheers bud, I put it down to regular moisturising and a fruit based diet.

Oh sorry, you ment the figure.  Thanks!  I want to neaten it up, the red parts more, neaten the trunk and knee pad patterns and dry brush the hair to highlight it.  Not doing the eyes, never been able to get that right.

Edited by Thunderplex

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Not doing the eyes, never been able to get that right.

Put a dark shade in the eye socket first, it helps the eyes pop out (not literally). I find mounting the figure on a wine cork held by blu-tac helps a lot. Creates that extra distance between the hands which helps. Take your time to do the whites, then when dry use a fine fibre pen to dot the pupils. If you're feeling bold, do the tiniest dot of white inside that.

• Paid Members

One of my friends from uni has published an RPG called Unbound where the players and the GM collaboratively create the world and plot. It uses a card draw system and they are working on a d20 system. He and his writing partner also host a podcast, Hearty Dice Friends, which is RPG based questions and advice. They have a Patreon which I donate to, and one of the rewards is a monthly Google Hangout. I was part of it last night, where we came up with the setting for a game of Unbound, which we've best described as "It went from vampires in heavy armour to radioactive angels farming metaphysical MDMA from a city of imprisoned humans called "The Farm". You can check out the hangout here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoPLM5x7qEI. My robot mic is gash but if you're interested in games design, you might enjoy it. 

On 5/18/2017 at 0:42 AM, Thunderplex said:

Not painted minis for ages so decided to start with my superstar Showdown figs.  Halfway through Daniel Bryan at the moment, and quite pleased with the result up to now seeing as it's 15 years since I last did one.

Where is the cheapest place to get those figures from?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DJM said:

Where is the cheapest place to get those figures from?

It's from a game called superstar showdown which is normally about a tenner on Amazon.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What paints did you use - games workshop?

I treated myself to a new set of Vallejo paints as my GW ones were so old, but they are still good for drybrushing. My GW inks are from 1986 and still great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
11 minutes ago, JNLister said:

The big downside is the poor player boards on which cubes (which confusingly fulfill multiple rolls) are far too easy to knock out of place.

'Rolls' or 'roles'?

• Awards Moderator

Great round up John, all very obscure (which I like!). I like the sound of Sagrada a lot.

Played vanilla Pandemic, a little Carcassone and a dose of Cranium Family Fun, which is probably the best version of the game.

I've also been playing lots of Star Realms which is ship combat in a card game. It's really well built so that every hand is quite different, and piling up all your bonuses to hit the opponent hard in one go is very satisfying.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I've also been playing lots of Star Realms which is ship combat in a card game. It's really well built so that every hand is quite different, and piling up all your bonuses to hit the opponent hard in one go is very satisfying.

Played that recently but it was a bit awkward as two of the four players were new to the group so we were apologising everytime we attacked somebody and explaining rational game reasons to show it wasn't personal!