The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Anybody recommend any fun , easy to pickup games for two people or smaller numbers?

Me and the Mrs really loved “the cube” board game believe it or not and also Linkee .

Anybody got any other recommendations ?  

Love Linkee. 

Dobble, Monarchy, Sushi Go, Fluxx, Star Realms are all good go-to quick, fun card games. 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Anybody recommend any fun , easy to pickup games for two people or smaller numbers?

Me and the Mrs really loved “the cube” board game believe it or not and also Linkee .

Anybody got any other recommendations ?  

The game I mentioned on the last page, schotten totten, is a really fun two player game. Quick to get the hang of and only about 20min to play, but plenty of depth to the strategy (with a fair bit of luck too). We have played a lot more games over the weekend and I can say it is definitely recommended.

• 3 months later...

Got a mini haul for little Brody over Christmas. 4 very different and accessible games, 3 of which have gone down very well, one takes a bit too much time for your average 6 year old girl.

Slide Quest is a lot of fun. Like a co-op version of the old tilting labyrinth games or Monkey Ball. It comes with 20 different level cards many of which have differing mission goals. If you're near a Traveling Man, it's on sale for a tenner at the moment and is a proper steal at that price.

Cobra Paw seems to be everywhere at the moment and is a cool-hand eye coordination/ tile grabbing game. A bit like snap with a Far East/ Cat Ninja theme. It's super easy to learn but comes with some interesting rule modifiers to make it more interesting for older players.

Too Many Monkeys is a straight up kids card game where the aim is to get rid of the monkeys jumping on the bed by turning over your deck in sequence. It's super simple but the structure of it's rounds keeps the game going for a decent amount of time and it's really easy to get to grips with for younger kids. You're not going to  bust it out with grown ups but especially with primary age kids, it's excellent.

The other game was the board game version of Brain Box. It's like Trivial Pursuit with memory retention games and is somewhat dry in comparison to the other 3. It also seems to take ages. It's perfectly fine for an afternoon with the family if you're trying to pad out some hours but it feels lazy and old fashioned compared to other games on the market for kids/families.

Anyone else got any suggestions for good gateway games for the young 'uns?

Maybe one to keep back for a couple of years but Villainous is a good gateway game, it’s a Disney themed objective based card game with some tactical play built in but nothing super taxing. Been playing it with my 8 year old who took to it way quicker than her mum did.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

Anyone else got any suggestions for good gateway games for the young 'uns?

Takenoko is cute but lots of strategy, though not overwhelming. 

Fluxx is simple fun if they have good reading comprehension - you can probably find samples of the cards online to get an idea. 

I think Monarchy is an outstanding card game, I've probably pimped it a dozen times in this thread. Think Gin Rummy with Kings and Queens. 

And at 6 years old you can't go wrong with anything that says Cranium on the box. Whoonu is probably the best of the bunch (again, some reading comprehension required). 

I've said it before but Hey! That's My Fish is such a great game. A 6 year old should pick it up no problem, I think my son was that age when he first tried it. It's fairly simple but after a couple of rounds the tactics start to come out and everybody is trying to cut people off to stop them from getting any more fish. Think that goes for around a tenner so one to have on the shelf.

11 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I've said it before but Hey! That's My Fish is such a great game. A 6 year old should pick it up no problem, I think my son was that age when he first tried it. It's fairly simple but after a couple of rounds the tactics start to come out and everybody is trying to cut people off to stop them from getting any more fish. Think that goes for around a tenner so one to have on the shelf.

I've played that a few years ago and had a great time with it.

She had a little bit of Christmas money left today and after watching about an hour of Dice Tower best of video's yesterday she decided she wanted another game.

We had a bunch of stuff in hand at various points, one of which was 'Hey! That's My Fish.' but she settled on Elementos. It's a nice light strategy game with baton relay, tile flipping and rock,paper, scissors elements. I quite like it but I can see it being a bit much for the mite. The tiles reminded her of Avatar: The Last Airbender, though so it was a done deal.

• Paid Members

Picked up Exploding Kittens in the sales at Asda. It's a lot of fun. Even my lady enjoys it. Easy to learn, I presume there's a heck of a lot of extra depth and strategy involved when you work in the special combos etc. 

• Paid Members

I played Dead Man's Cabal and Sagrada at the Leamington Board Game Cafe on Monday. Really enjoyed both of them; Sagrada felt a lot more hit and miss because it's mostly based on dice rolling, but it was still fun. Both games are beautifully presented, as well. 

• Awards Moderator

Finished our Betrayal Legacy campaign over Christmas. It's a haunted house board game where you construct the board as you go. Ultimately satisfying, but by God some rules are wonky as fuck. Far too many games descended into Googling for Rob Daviau's corrections. Play it for a fun group story experience, but watch out for a horrific lack of proof reading with so many conflicting rules.