The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

After being limited in what we can play due to table size, we spotted a fold-up table and 4 chairs in Argos that when put away fits perfectly out of sight.

We had a couple of goes of Eldritch Horror which is fun but rock solid. 3 of us lost twice by a huge margin. As an example, I chose the Sailor and died within 3 turns. My second character, the Actress, had 2 madness cards and went to prison 3 times then died on the same turn the game was lost. 

We bust out Mice and Mystics too now we can properly fit everything on the table and that is much more enjoyable when you can see everything at once.

D1A7F73D-F3DC-457B-BF59-370289633184.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Played 4 or 5 games of Quacks of Quedlinburg now and have a good feel for it. Really enjoying it! Seems like a very well balanced game with good variation, and there's always a feeling that anyone could win. Pace is great too, and I love the whole look and feel; nice design. Definitely recommended.

• 3 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

So game codes aside, what is the Portal board game like @FelatioLips?

I've been playing a lot of the Fallout board game lately. Really good at capturing the spirit of the world with some really fun mechanics. The leveling up matches the game neatly, each level taking slightly longer to achieve. And the plots are pseudo-randomly generated and inspired by plots from Fallouts 3 & 4. Really enjoyable. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So game codes aside, what is the Portal board game like @FelatioLips?

I've been playing a lot of the Fallout board game lately. Really good at capturing the spirit of the world with some really fun mechanics. The leveling up matches the game neatly, each level taking slightly longer to achieve. And the plots are pseudo-randomly generated and inspired by plots from Fallouts 3 & 4. Really enjoyable. 

We’ve only had one go so far. It captures the spirit of the game well but the gameplay is solid enough non-fans could enjoy it.

The game pieces are quality, and the game essentially boils down to trying to outrun an ever-moving game board while trying to incinerate each other’s cake pieces.

Easy to learn but very tactical as the game is made for outwitting or bullying the other players.

31DD29A8-289F-48DB-A95D-FA49BB64407F.jpeg

28C5EA8A-A8B1-422C-9A6C-761B9A0AF1C2.jpeg

7454C2D9-D319-40A0-B74D-FAC1CB913469.jpeg

C47EDDFD-BD7F-4C5F-AF32-D04D0AC7281B.jpeg

BEE5380D-B03E-4836-ABAD-28A627C51A7F.jpeg

• Paid Members

Big love this end for the Fallout game too.  It’s tricky trying to balance the endgame so it doesn’t arrive too soon, but great fun. Been playing a lot of Mansions of Madness recently too.  Tried Tiny Epic Quest, but it just didn’t connect with me.

• Paid Members

Fallout is ace, but as you said Thunder, the endgame sometimes comes too quick but dragging it out sometimes leaves you getting cornered and pelted by mutants.

We got the SuperHot Card Game too, which looks decent but we’ve not tried it yet.

Best game we got recently is Patchwork. Beautiful, quick and simple 2 player game with a deceptive amount of currency-keeping as I found out in our first game when I finished on -5 points.

• Paid Members

Last Tuesday I went to Leamington Spa on a whim and ended up at the Dice Box, which is their board game cafe. Played Patchwork as well - it was really good and it is more complex than it initially looks. 

We also played Muse, which is a bit like Dixit or Mysterium, but instead of using words to describe the picture, you have a prompt, e.g. "hum a tune to represent the picture", which was a lot of fun. 

When we went to the Board Game Expo, we bought a load of new games, and have spent our time trying them out - Machi Koro is a city builder card game which is a lot of fun, Cat Lady is a fairly straightforward points game, and Elevenses is a bluffing game centred around afternoon tea - all of which are great. 

I've been looking at the Gloomhaven video game purely because the board game is SO EXPENSIVE, plus we struggle to get the motivation to play anything which is remotely time consuming to set up. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Nexus said:

Last Tuesday I went to Leamington Spa on a whim and ended up at the Dice Box, which is their board game cafe. Played Patchwork as well - it was really good and it is more complex than it initially looks. 

Now I'm DMing a D&D group there in two weeks. HMMMM

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Ooh that's pretty close to me, do they have many games like that going on as I've been really wanting to play some Shadowrun.

They told me there was a shortage of DMs so probably not :(

3 minutes ago, Nexus said:

They told me there was a shortage of DMs so probably not :(

I guess I better learn how to DM then, I kinda have a 5e thing in the works but it's going to be tough as it's pretty out there and maybe a little too edgy in ways. I could possibly convert it to Shadowrun and it may work better in that setting.