Foley is Crud

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I remember a week or so after Mania 14 when they'd had to do the rematch of the dumpster match and he cuts that promo saying "This'll be the last time you see Cactus Jack in a while" and made it look as though he was retiring, only for him to come out as Corporate heel Dude Love at the end with his hair all slicked back and his teeth fixed. He was a heck of a performer and knew how to tell a story in the ring.Ā 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I have an awful memory for most things but I'll forever remember the segment of him coming out saying Mankind couldn't face HHH at The Royal Rumble in a street fight but he was naming a substitute and revealing Cactus Jack.

Ā 

4 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Triple H losing his shit as Cactus being a different person might be my favourite ever example of wrestling logic that makes perfect sense but still would seem hilarious and insane to a certain outside perspective.Ā 

I liked it, but the original version in 97 in Raw at the Garden I preferred. Maybe it was because it was snob Hunter, maybe it was because it was MSG, maybe because they were going to fight there and then, maybe it was hearing his new music for the first time and thinking "It's all kicking off."

Foleyā€™s bit on that ā€˜Rage Partyā€™ MTV thing from the night before Mania 15 is the only slow segment in the whole thing.

Comes out and does a tight five of stand-up based around a succession of punchlines that rhyme with ā€˜pimping ainā€™t easy.ā€™ Comes across like he never consumes any non-wrestling media, worse than Vince even. Even the crowd of drunken frat boys donā€™t really go for it.

ComesĀ out and does a tight five of stand-up based around a succession of punchlines that rhyme with ā€˜pimping ainā€™t easy.ā€™ Comes across like he never consumes any non-wrestling media, worse than Vince even. Even the crowd of drunken frat boys donā€™t really go for it.
Ā 

He did the same bit in his U.K. stand up tour a decade ago. It wasn't much better then either.Ā 

10 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

I thought he got the inspiration for it from Silence of the Lambs.Ā 

He did, he talks about it in his first autobiography. His inspiration was when Lecter kills the guard in the cage and the score is a typical horror film one and after all the violence has settled Lecter is sitting in the cage enjoying some classical. He wanted the audience to feel he was only ever at peace after destroying an opponent.

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

This is gobsmacking still, and has just taken on more pathos as time's gone by. The "There's nothing wrong with Uncle Ted's money, you know!" schtick was gloriously button pushing in ECW (and in fact created a lot of humour and skits that could be right out of Being the Elite today) but he's also basically predicting a wave of guys reaching their middle years unemployed and barley able to string a sentence together:

White hot. I tried to think of who's best has ever been better but for the time especially I don't think there was anyone. Most stuff is less groundbreaking now but I do think we're in a golden era where there's aĀ lotĀ of really great quality character and promo work, so much so that the biggest obstacle is just making it feel spontaneous and special so it doesn't have that bullet pointed, every-angle-and-expression-rehearsed feel.Ā 

• 1 month later...