Foley is Crud

IANdrewDiceClay

The Undertaker was really banged up, well both were, both guys were limited at what they could do and Taker didnt look weak, just more sadistic.

Undertaker-Austin sort of sold it's self for that Summer Slam, they still had two months to heat up that match.

Mankind was basically in a nothing dumpster match if I remember at SummerSlam and I'm sure it was the next PPV The Rock was getting big cheers above Mankind & Ken Shamrock, I think that's the one he gave himself the mandible claw, instead of tapping out but it was really his skits and Socko that made him a proper babyface back then.

1 hour ago, Wrasslin said:

Would Mankind have got the event run with The Rock had that not happened? And then subsequently the stuff with Triple H? 

Maybe not. 

Who knows, he probably wouldn't have been as over but he had just headlined two PPVs with Austin, maybe Kane could have and Triple H & Ken Shamrock had already wrestled The Rock enough, it wasn't like they had a ton of top guys, they needed The Undertaker to keep Austin & The Rock separated until Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members

I dunno, if you go back and watch the Raws from that summer, Foley isn't appreciatively more over after the Hell in the Cell, he only really starts getting more cheers when he does the comedy stuff. It definitely added a layer of authenticity to him, but no one in the arenas appeared to give a shit in the weeks immediately following. 

• Paid Members
On 22/11/2017 at 7:11 PM, NoUseforaUsername said:

Garbage match which is only remembered because of two stunts. But it accomplished what Mick wanted it to. Nobody remembers the fact that Undertaker won heading into a title program with Austin at Summerslam, just like nobody remembered Rock beating Foley at Royal Rumble heading into a program with Austin at WrestleMania. 

Come on son, thinking of it like that completely discredits why its so remembered and iconic. Professional sports (and i'll stick pro wrestling in that group for the purpose of this discussion) is littered with moments like that.

That's like saying "all everyone remembers is Cantona kung fu kicking the fan at Palace, everyone seems to forget that the game finishing 1-1 seriously dented United's chances of catching Blackburn Rovers that season".

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

And to bring it closer to home, it's like saying that Austin bleeding and refusing to tap out of the Sharpshooter is why nobody remembers Bret retaining the championship. 

Everything has a purpose of its own, and sometimes the match isn't what's meant to be focused on. Sometimes it's the match, sometimes it's the storyline, sometimes it's the promo, sometimes it's the angle, sometimes it's the character. Look at HBK's original heel turn. Sure, the match with Jannetty was fun and people looked forward to it, but that wasn't the purpose of the angle. Go back slightly further, and you could say the same about him slapping Marty after they'd just lost their title challenge against the Legion Of Doom. Nobody was really supposed to remember the match.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

What Championship?

See, there you go. The rest of that storyline had me forgetting it was Taker/Sid for the belt. I only remembered the Sharpshooter angle. I barely remember the rest of the match itself too.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

See, there you go. The rest of that storyline had me forgetting it was Taker/Sid for the belt. I only remembered the Sharpshooter angle. I barely remember the rest of the match itself too.

The best match there's ever been  (probably) is an odd example of your original point if I'm honest.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

The best match there's ever been  (probably) is an odd example of your original point if I'm honest.

I wouldn't agree it's the best ever, but to each his own. It's still pretty amazing, but I've personally found (and maybe you disagree) that, even with the greatest of matches, people tend to remember certain, specific points, while the rest of the match tends to fade in the memory until they watch it again. Case in point: as I've mentioned so many times, Hart/Piper at WM8. Awesome match, but the things I remember the most are Roddy's ring-bell dilemma, and the finish. I can't remember much else.

My point throughout all this rambling is that the moments are what make things, whether it be match, angle, storyline, or whatever. Foley being thrown off the cage was a moment, and contributed to making that match with Taker so memorable - it wasn't a separate element that over-shadowed the rest of it, it was an integral element that enhanced the whole thing.

• 4 years later...