Foley is Crud

IANdrewDiceClay

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://411mania.com/wrestling/mick-foley-hiac-one-man-show-tour-aj-lees-book-getting-paperback-release/

Foley is doing a one man show tour to commemorate waddling off a cell 20 years ago. Seriously.

Garbage match which is only remembered because of two stunts. But it accomplished what Mick wanted it to. Nobody remembers the fact that Undertaker won heading into a title program with Austin at Summerslam, just like nobody remembered Rock beating Foley at Royal Rumble heading into a program with Austin at WrestleMania. What people remember is Mick waddling off a cage and getting hit with unprotected chairshots 20 consecutive times.

I know people love to hate Foley here but he and Taker were both injured, he really had to do something to get people talking like the original Hell in a Cell and it was much better than watching The Undertaker & Kane wrestle to a draw, while Stone Cold was the ref

The Rock & Foley traded 5 title wins throughout 98/99 in the run up to Mania and The Rock needed someone to wrestle from Survivor Series to Mania time.

That match "made" Mick in the WWE. He nearly permanently injured himself being thrown off the cell and especially when he was choke slammed through it. That was even more brutal as it gave way and he thudded into the canvas. Mick no doubt suffered multiple concussions in that match alone too. In hindsight it's just a crazy match to watch. He won a ton of respect for nearly killing himself for the wrestling fans entertainment. That he has any memories working that match at all is something. Plus the other wacky stuff he's done, being powerbombed on concrete by Vader, chair shots among other things it's mind boggling he can still function.

When I saw this thread had been bumped I assumed it was cos of the woman that turned up outside one of his signings last week with a sign that said Foley slept with her when she was a 15 year old child. But nope, his 1998/9 run sucked apparently. LOL

That Cell match is pretty iconic TBF. For me an enjoyable match is an enjoyable match, wherever it’s a spot fest with a million false finishes, a spectacle like Andre/Hogan or a car wreck like the cell match.

I do still prefer his cell match with Triple H a couple of years later to be honest but I can see why KOTR 1998 is so notorious.

6 hours ago, sj5522 said:

When I saw this thread had been bumped I assumed it was cos of the woman that turned up outside one of his signings last week with a sign that said Foley slept with her when she was a 15 year old child. But nope, his 1998/9 run sucked apparently. LOL

Isn't the whole timeline of those allegations a bit out of whack, she was saying she was 12 and hanging about the NWA in the 80's, she probably wasn't 15 if she met Foley in ECW in 1995.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, the_mole said:

Isn't the whole timeline of those allegations a bit out of whack, she was saying she was 12 and hanging about the NWA in the 80's, she probably wasn't 15 if she met Foley in ECW in 1995.

I think she's claimed that she met Foley at a show in 1990, but the timelines still seem a little off. Allegedly the reason Paul Heyman gave her the nickname "Virgin Princess" is that it was known at the time that she was sexually abused by wrestlers from the ages of 12-15, if that makes sense.

I don't doubt that these things happen in wrestling - they obviously do - and I don't doubt that she's been through some shit, but stuff like "was in a relationship with Paul Heyman when she was 12 years old" doesn't seem to add up.

Timelines and her age seem to fluctuate, and I'm sure somebody has already done the detective work to figure out whether the long list of wrestlers she claimed to have slept with underage in the early 90s would actually add up timeline-wise. From a lot of how she's presented the whole thing, it comes across more as the kind of unhinged "all celebrities are in an underground sex network" post you'd see on the David Icke forum than legitimate allegations - not helped by the fact that the only other stuff she's posted on Youtube is clips from far-right, anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists.

If her timeline of events is correct, she was only 17/18 when she went topless in ECW in '93. She's also claimed that she was underage when doing bondage videos and apartment wrestling stuff, but that seemed to have been around '94 which, again, throws things out. Some people have claimed she was born between '68 and '70, which would have put her of age around the time of all of her allegations.

That said, she did post this video -

In which she posts Facebook comments in which she talk about sleeping with Kevin Von Erich and Chris Adams when she was 14 in 1990, and discussing being at shows in the late '80s and '90s, accusing Foley back in January (presumably this year). Obviously that doesn't make it true, just proves that she was around at the time.

Ultimately, I think there's more truth to it than I thought at first, but it still seems murky. I doubt we'd ever know for sure. Foley is a lech, and wrestlers - especially in that era - are debauched perverts, so it's far from outside the realms of possibility.

There have been some utterly daft arguments online as to why Foley couldn't have done it, though, ranging from "his wife is more attractive than Angel" - aside from that being a complete non-issue, Foley wasn't married in 1990 - to "he wouldn't have done this, he works for an anti-rape charity".

As for Hell in a Cell at KOTR 1998, it's great. The idea that it's a bad match because no one talks about how The Undertaker won is irrelevant - someone getting over even in defeat is a good thing. It was one of, if not the, most repeated replay clip in wrestling for years for good reason, and one of the most iconic moments in wrestling history. If I get into a conversation with a casual fan, you can guarantee the matches they're most likely to bring up are Hell in a Cell or the Montreal Screwjob. Is it a "bad match" in that it's not a technical masterpiece? Sure. But it was never intended to be.

Edited by BomberPat

Well said as always Pat, but, another way of looking at it is that this is the match that drastically shortened Mick's career and left him a shell of himself.

I never understood why people describe matches such as this one and the Lesnar/Goldberg match at SS as "great matches". If anything, they are great angles. But I question if the Cell jump is even that. As an angle, what did Mick's act of self-destruction lead to, where did it go, how did it play into future storylines?

Put it this way, the main event of Bash at the Beach 96 is never remembered as a classic despite the fact it had one of the best match endings in wrestling history; the fact that it led to one of the all time great promos.

Why?

I'll have to give it another watch but what I remember of the Foley/Taker match is a meandering, aimless mess interrupted by Foley needing medical help after his act of self-flagellation.

As for the Rock/Foley feud, would it have hurt for Rock to get one concrete victory over him that wasn't severely tainted by run ins/cheating/shenanigans? Foley didn't put him over once during that entire feud.

It's also pretty cruddy to subject your children to emotional trauma by having them front row during a match of that type.

It says a lot about how narcissistic he is that he took more umbrage with The Rock not apologizing to him for hitting him with too many chairshots than he did with his own parental decision making.

8 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

As for the Rock/Foley feud, would it have hurt for Rock to get one concrete victory over him that wasn't severely tainted by run ins/cheating/shenanigans? 

Well, yes, probably. Mankind was the never-say-die babyface, and The Rock was the arrogant baddie with the corporation behind him, gearing up for a WrestleMania showdown with the anti-authority rebel Stone Cold. What would have been gained by Rock not needing the help of his goons? It was the only thing keeping him heel.