Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

That episode made me like Goldberg even more than I do already.  I think the stuff about him saying he's never enjoyed wrestling is probably down to his last run and souring him towards the business and skewing how he felt about wrestling whilst he was in WCW. He seems to genuinely love the buzz of being a superhero for kids and the appreciation from the crowd but doesn't necessarily enjoy the graft bell to bell or the politics and deep down he's a bit of a loner but can come off as a prima donna twat because folk don't get that. I really liked that, it showed how normal the bloke is. I've always thought he took himself too seriously what with how he still feels about the Regal match and it certainly shows a couple of times during the doc.

Really loved the bit where Vince was talking to him and Bill's just going "Yes sir. Yes sir. No sir" like a kid who's scared of their dad or the teacher or whatever. Love that dude. Like Superemo says, would love him to pop up at Mania.

Going to have a bash at watching the whole of 2007 RAW/Smackdown/PPV product on the Network in the next couple of weeks. 2007 you ask? The first wrestling I ever saw was on Smackdown, watching Chavo Guerrero smack the fuck out of Rey Mysterio's leg in an I Quit match. From then on out, I became a big fan, with my interests varying wildly throughout the next couple of years. Time to see if the stuff I recall happening passes the test of time.

RAW - January 1st 2007.

I miss the "YESSIR WE PROMISED YOU A NIGHT OF ENTERTAINMENT" - could just be a result of looking through rose tinted glasses mind.

Kevin Federline is here! The A Lister, the dancer and the rapper! Probably best known for being the ex-husband of Britney Spears. The opening video package tells me he's here to challenge Cena to a match on RAW. Cena drops a clanger with the line "Instead of playing with fire, you should be playing with yourself!". It's a perfectly acceptable video package for establishing the main idea of tonight's show. 

Cena opens the show to a massive pop! Vince would sell his own mother to have Reigns get this type of reaction on a weekly basis. He's got the WWE Championship here, with arms like a cyborg. Lillian introduces Kevin Federline using the El Ligero gimmick of having a huge, fuck off list of accomplishments. He comes out with a generic hip-hop track, dancing around like the whitest man of all time. He plays up the dickhead role to a tee, garnering some decent heat in the process. He informs Cena their match is now going to be no disqualifications, and brings out his personal trainer, Johnny Nitro! Nitro is kitted out with his own Team Federline boxing-esque ring jacket covering his 400 sets of abs.

Nitro and Kevin stall for time, equipping a mouthguard, boxing gloves and head gear. Cena offers a headlock and has no problem lifting Federline waaaaay up into the air. Nitro subsequently calls for time, doing some good crowd work. Federline then calls for the Masterlock challenge, which Cena accepts to chants of "TAP, TAP, TAP" from Nitro. It gets broken quickly of course. Cena pops Kevin up onto the top rope and dumps Nitro out. Kevin smacks Cena between the legs, gets lifted for the AA and here's Umaga! One belt shot later, which Cena sells like death and Federline wins! He and Nitro milk it to death, parading around the ring, throwing cash around and celebrating with fans. Cena is still fucked as we head to a break.

Eh, this worked I suppose. The crowd reacted accordingly and the combination of Nitro/Federline made this one interesting enough. The Umaga run-in was probably obvious but yeah, this gets a pass based on K-Fed and Nitro's charisma alone.

Kevin and Nitro shive backstage into Federline's dressing room complete with their own entourage. Maria tries to get an interview, but Melina strides up, challenges Maria to a match later, roars "BITCH" at her and gives her a smack. This happened. J.R calls this controversial. Coachman joins the Fed/Nitro coalition and gets showered with champers. He makes the main event of Cena vs Umaga/Estrada/Coachman and Nitro. I fucking love 2007. 

The Miami Heat are in the crowd. Shaq's here! 

Cryme Tyme are here and obviously have the Shaq interaction. Shaq makes a big scene out of checking his pockets for a nice pop. 

Cryme Tyme and Highlanders vs WGTT and Cade/Murdoch

Cade powers the fuck out of Robbie to start, before JTG tags in and meets a similar fate. Murdoch swipes a leg as he runs the ropes, giving Cade the advantage again. Heels work over JTG before some tag team miscommunication! between Murdoch and Benjamin. Shad gets the hot tag and everyone gets cleared out of the ring apart from Shad and Murdoch. JTG does a rope assisted backbreaker from the outside which looks shit and Shad gets the pin from it.

Bit crap, this. There was no need at all for this to feature 8 men except from giving them something to do on the card. Shad's hot tag didn't even look good and the finish was stupid. Dud.

Wrestlemania 3 recap, in this case, Hogan vs Andre. 

Jeff Hardy vs ROB CONWAY

Rob Conway is here! If Conway doesn't win tonight, he'll quit RAW! Alright then. Nothing is ever mentioned from the commentary about this. Jeff is the Intercontinental Champion at this point, but the belt isn't up for grabs. Hardy wins with a Sunset Flip in about 30 seconds. 

Vince comes out in a huge poofy shirt. A quick word about New Years Resolutions. Vince is going to stop being so nice, and name drops Donald Trump. A picture of Rosie O'Donnell is named "YOKOZUNA!" to literally no laughter, proving once more that WWE and Politics go hand in hand like two star crossed lovers. Vince isn't going to let Conway quit, instead he's fired!

This felt like it took an absolute age to get to the point, fucking hell.

Todd Grisham is with Kenny Dykstra. Kenny cuts a horrible promo about how Flair is trying to save face by attempting a hand shake. Death now comes in fours according to Kenny. James Brown, President Ford, Saddam Hussein, and Ric Flair's career. Horrendous delivery.

We get a recap of 5 weeks ago. 5 weeks! Imagine if modern day WWE could have a storyline continuation lasting for 5 weeks! Basically, Rated RKO kicked the piss out of Flair as a way of baiting out DX. This looked fucking grim, Flair was bleeding like a stuck pig. 2 weeks ago, a 6 man tag culminated in Haitch and HBK being beaten down with chairs and blading. Another well put together package which really puts over how mental the combination of Edge and Orton are together. 

DX are backstage.

DX are on the stage! They're here! A bright green, neon see of glowsticks remind me just how much of this run was driven by stupid merchandise. They spend a long, long time playing to the crowd. Shawn actually cuts off Hunter before the "Suck it!" and says he can't act like the Flair / RKO incidents didn't happen. Nice. HBK says that every new star, upstar, or wrestler who calls themselves the future is either gone or curtain jerking, whereas him and HHH are still on top. This statement still bares true a decade later. Shawn actually does a good job here getting rid of his jokey persona and translating into a much more serious style to reflect the content of the interview. At Sunday's PPV, DX are going to kick the balls of Orton/Edge down their own throats. Cheers, Shawn. HHH grabs the mic and instantly ruins the serious illusion HBK just spend five minutes building by chuckling about yeast infections. He then compares himself and Shawn to frosted mini-wheats, taking his careful time in undoing all the good mic work done by Shawn. He does turn around into intense mode though, culminating in a nice eventual pop at the end.

A good interview segment by the end. HHH managed not to veer too far into the comedy stuff and provided some good intensity to get across the severity of the feud. I really liked Shawn cutting off the initial introduction at the beginning to really get across the anger and frustration of the situation.

Melina vs Maria

Melina is pure filth at this stage. Maria is still selling the slap from almost an hour ago, like a true worker. Hold on though, because Victoria is out here before the bell can ring. She's on commentary. Victoria introduces us to her list! Good to see where Jericho got the inspiration from. She's fucking cack though, constantly repeating herself and stumbling over her words. Melina ties Maria's hair into the ropes and works the heat to zero reaction. Melina goes for a jack-knife pin, but Maria literally loses her balance and falls out of it, so Melina goes for a regular pin and wins.

10/10 due to the fact I am pissing myself at the finish. The importance of the match was clearly Victoria on commentary, which no attempt to hide was made, meaning the wrestling and end result was completely meaningless. Shite.

Victoria goes to hit her finish on Lillian but Mickie James runs out to make the save. Perfectly good storyline build there.

Quick video summarising the Tribute to the Troops show and procedure. Featuring Punk leering over a sleeping Lillian like a right fucking oddball. 

Ric Flair and Carlito vs Chris Masters and Kenny Dykstra

Masters looks quality here. Everything about him in his entrance exudes star quality. His look, his theme, his gear, everything about him screams massive potential. The less can be said about Kenny, who skips down to the ring with his generic rock music. The difference between himself and Masters really is night and day. Carlito and Flair is certainly a unique partnership. Carlito has a fiery start, landing a hurricanrana, but like a dickhead tries to take out Masters and gets levelled. Flair gets tagged in and straight away slaps on a Figure Four, only for Kenny to break it up as we hit a break. We return with the heels working over Carlito, and I notice Torrie Wilson ringside for the first time. Carlito is doing nothing to get the crowd invested, and just gets battered for a good while, making him look like a right loser. A springboard back elbow allows some separation, but Kenny takes out Flair before the tag can be made. The Masterlock gets slapped on but Flair breaks it with a chop block! Hot tag is made and Flair chops away on everybody.  Carlito runs Masters down the ramp, and Kenny grabs a flash pin on Flair with his feet on the ropes to win.

Standard enough tag match, though it didn't do much to make me want to see Kenny vs Flair going on for any longer. Kenny is just so wank that I couldn't give two shits about anything he's doing. Masters looked good though. He should be the one paired off with Flair!

Rated RKO are out from behind and Flair takes an RKO. He then gets twatted with a con-chair-to (where the fuck are DX!?) before the heels leave through the crowd. 

Good heel segment to get Rated RKO over strong, but where the fuck were DX? They were in the ring not 20 minutes ago, and yet they can't be found when their best mate is getting his head caved in!

Quick run through the main matches of the PPV on Sunday. 

John Cena vs Estrada/Nitro/Coachman/Umaga

Coachman is wearing a Cena shirt, which gets a pop from me at the very least. Cena and Umaga go at it straight from the off, and the big man is off his feet within the first 10 seconds! Federline marking out for Nitro on commentary is piss funny. Cena wastes no time clearing Nitro out of the ring, but turns straight into a big Samoan Drop. A Banzai Drop is countered and all the heels take a bump. Cena fucks a chair straight into Umaga's head and it's all over for a disqualification! He makes Nitro look like a dickhead once more, giving him an FU, before Coachman gets one as well. Federline takes one too! Cena poses with the belt as we go off the air.

A fun show, that. Federline and Nitro being a focal point was a good thing because they're both charismatic and entertaining as fuck at this point. It's a shame that Federline never stayed around in a managerial role for long, because he's got a really great heel shtick ready made. I think everything they touched on for the PPV got some sort of build through this card, so they got that job achieved. The 1 1/2 hour flew by in comparison to the usual 3 hour slog of a current RAW show. Entertaining enough stuff to start off here.

Edited by AdamTH17

10 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Vince is so particular about what he wants, I bet he wanked both Orton and Wyatt off when they walked through the curtain when they had their stinker.

Cant even remember if Jericho vs Owens was good or not if I'm honest.

It was decent at best. Meltzer gave it ***1/2 if that helps.

I've been enjoying a lot of the old World Class shows from '84/'85.  Most of the audience are female with a fierce love for the Von Erich boys.  Watched a match this morning where Chris Adams (w/Gary Hart) screwed Kerry out of his American title and the fans were absolutely furious.

Jake Roberts; the Midnight Express (Cornette looks about 12) and Ric Flair dropping in from time to time as NWA champ.  I've fallen in love with it.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Bukamania said:

It was decent at best. Meltzer gave it ***1/2 if that helps.

About as good as most Jericho matches for the past several years- good but certainly not great.

Watch Big Dave throw seven snowflakes at him come WrestleKingdom.

Edited by PunkStep