Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Just watched a squash with Tully rolling over some jobber on an NWA World Championship Wrestling from 1986. Tully has the guy down on his belly, while he's in a cobra clutch and the guy's hammering on the mat like he's tapping out. Does it about 3 times then Tully just picks him up and carries on the match. Imagine that happening today? I'm guessing it's a UFC thing.

Yeah, tapping out didn't really become a thing until UFC - as far as I'm aware, Taz was the first to introduce it to modern wrestling, and Ken Shamrock the first in the WWF. It was always verbal submissions before that.

Though, interestingly, I was reading a book on wrestling history first published in the 1930s, and in there it refers to someone in a match in (IIRC) India pounding their hand on the mat to indicate submission, so it may actually have an earlier lineage in wrestling, potentially as a means of indicating submission in other countries, or in matches where the wrestlers (or wrestlers and referee) don't share a common language. Maybe it was borrowed from another martial art, or was more commonplace in Asia (trying to remember, off the top of my head, if UWF-I or Pancrase used tapping out, which could have transitioned to UFC) - but just guesswork on my part, there.

I'm quite interested in the cross-pollination of MMA and wrestling, and how one influences the other; so much of UFC's presentation comes from wrestling, and the way wrestling is constructed takes a lot of influence from MMA; not just in the style of moves that are used, but the psychology changes, as people become more and more accustomed to what actually works in a real fight. It's very rare that you see someone struggling for an extended period in a submission hold any more, because UFC has taught us that the struggle is to not get put in the hold in the first place, rather than to writhe around in pain for two minutes once it's locked in. Similarly, the "drop the arm three times" spot has died out in WWE because of UFC influence - which I see as kind of the opposite of tapping out; with tapping out, UFC gave us a visual means of indicating something that had previously not been a particularly audience-friendly finish, but with taking away the arm drop, they've done the opposite.

• Paid Members

WWE's confirmed 10 of the Coliseum Home Videos:

Title
Description
Air Date
Duration
Bloopers, Bleeps, and Bodyslams
Gorilla Monsoon treats the WWE Universe to an outrageous collection of hilarious surprises involving top WWE Superstars of the '80s. From Hulk Hogan and Rowdy Roddy Piper, to the likes of Andre the Giant and Captain Lou Albano, enjoy these memorable moments on Wrestling's Bloopers, Bleeps, and Bodyslams!
4/12/1985
1:18:29
Most Unusual Matches
Jesse 'The Body' Ventura brings the WWE Universe some memorable examples of WWE's Most Unusual Matches. This presentation features everything from Battle Royals and Lumberjack Matches, to an unforgettable bout inside a steel cage and more!
5/16/1985
1:27:00
Villains of the Squared Circle
The most memorable rule benders and rule breakers of the 1980s are all here, as Mean Gene Okerlund and Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan host Villains of the Squared Circle. In this exclusive presentation, witness Andre the Giant meet Ernie Ladd in singles competition, Jake "The Snake" Roberts in action against Scott McGhee, and much more!
6/6/1986
1:10:40
Brains Behind the Brawn
Many of the top Superstars in WWE history have relied on the skills of their managers to help the rise to the top. In this exclusive presentation, you'll see how the likes of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Miss Elizabeth, and other top managers proved instrumental in leading their clients to victory.
2/27/1989
1:25:56
Funniest Moments
Join Sean Mooney as he takes the WWE Universe on a joyride through some of the wackiest and most bizarre action in WWE's Funniest Moments. Witness Bobby "The Brain" Heenan being bounced, fat fools feeling thinner, and many more hilarious moments!
2/27/1991
0:57:47
Mega Matches
Get ready for big action and excitement as Sean Mooney takes the WWE Universe on a journey through WWE Mega Matches. From Hulk Hogan going one-on-one with Dino Bravo, to Tito Santana using his speed against Earthquake, don't miss these and more exclusive battles!
3/28/1991
2:00:52
Wrestling's Greatest Champions
From the Hall of Champions at Titan Tower, Lord Alfred Hayes takes a look at five WWE Superstars who have climbed the ladder to the pinnacle of success to be considered one of WWE's Greatest Champions. From Mr. Perfect and The Hart Foundation, to Hulk Hogan and Macho Man Randy Savage, this exclusive presentation features some of the best to ever wear gold in WWE!
7/30/1991
0:57:17
Battle at The Royal Albert Hall
From Royal Albert Hall in London, England, the Superstars of WWE perform for members of the WWE Universe across the pond with an exciting lineup of action, including a 20-Man Over the Top Rope Battle Royal main event. Plus, Davey Boy Smith clashes with The Barbarian in singles competition, the duo of Power and Glory challenges The Legion of Doom for the WWE Tag Team Championship, and much more!
10/3/1991
2:40:32
World Tour '92
Take a journey across the pond to join Lord Alfred Hayes in London, England for an exciting look at some incredible matches featuring some of WWE's top Superstars. From High Energy taking on The Beverly Brothers in a Tag Team Match, to Shawn Michaels going one-on-one with Macho Man Randy Savage in a rarely seen encounter, WWE's World Tour 1992 boasts an extraordinary lineup of in-ring action!
8/27/1992
1:44:50
Invasion of the Bodyslammers
While Slick teaches Kamala a lesson in bowling, Lord Alfred Hayes takes the WWE Universe on a journey to witness some exciting and exclusive matches with Invasion of the Bodyslammers. Witness several rarely seen battles, including Mr. Perfect and Ric Flair facing off in singles action, Bam Bam Bigelow going one-on-one with Typhoon, and many more!
6/24/1993
1:57:07

• Paid Members

I think I still have Mega Matches and World Tour 92 on VHS at mum's house. Battle at the Royal Albert Hall may be there somewhere too, but if not, I'll be firing it up on the Network as soon as these are uploaded.

• Paid Members

I thought Taker came across as pretty over-dramatic. I was rolling my eyes for some of it, primarily because he absolutely will be back, probably multiple times.

I did feel bad for him when he mentioned about not wanting to become a parody of himself. He's looked silly for years, but this was the first year where I got depressed at how bad he was in the ring. he looked like a drunk old man against Reigns. He did mention not preparing physically as much as he should have, I hope this year was a big wake up call for him. The streak if over so skip one if you have to, come back six months later at Summerslam? People will be just as happy.

Anyone else think it was weird when Cena mentioned that his Mum hadn't been to a Wrestlemania, and wasn't "top of her schedule"? Both my parents hate wrestling, but I think if I was doing it in a fucking stadium they'd sit in the crowd a few times.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Rob Lowe said:

I thought Taker came across as pretty over-dramatic. I was rolling my eyes for some of it, primarily because he absolutely will be back, probably multiple times.

I did feel bad for him when he mentioned about not wanting to become a parody of himself. He's looked silly for years, but this was the first year where I got depressed at how bad he was in the ring. he looked like a drunk old man against Reigns. He did mention not preparing physically as much as he should have, I hope this year was a big wake up call for him. The streak if over so skip one if you have to, come back six months later at Summerslam? People will be just as happy.

Anyone else think it was weird when Cena mentioned that his Mum hadn't been to a Wrestlemania, and wasn't "top of her schedule"? Both my parents hate wrestling, but I think if I was doing it in a fucking stadium they'd sit in the crowd a few times.

Especially if you're going to propose to your girlfriend afterwards.