Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

Luger’s not the same guy he was when he was wrestling. There’s no way they are going to totally shit on someone as likeable as he is these days. It just wouldn’t work.

More importantly though, they are a bit hard up for proper legends at the moment. Burying Luger, or anyone really, just makes it harder to market him for a Hall of Fame induction or more specials in the future.

He’ll be fine.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

More importantly though, they are a bit hard up for proper legends at the moment. Burying Luger, or anyone really, just makes it harder to market him for a Hall of Fame induction or more specials in the future.

I hope you're right there because I think luger gets a raw deal from lots of fans, but even more so from WWF given that confidential piece and then essentially being airbrushed from history because his peak was 88 / 89 where they can't bang on about "the war" and 97 so they just bang on about how Ted Turner was "cheating". 

• Paid Members
On 12/24/2020 at 9:22 PM, gmoney said:

It was just "Superstars" at least as far back at 1991, so I don't think that's the reason for them starting partway through 92. 

Again it's from Wikipedia, so I appreciate pinch of salt and all that, but the below suggests it was April 1992 which tallies with what's on the network roughly I think.

Beginning with the April 18, 1992 episode, the program was renamed to WWF Superstars, due to a successful lawsuit by another promoter, Albert Patterson, who had claimed prior rights to the phrase "Superstars of Wrestling".[2] Since then, archival footage of the program has usually been shown with the words "of Wrestling" blurred out where applicable.

Can't find anything anywhere to suggest it was just "Superstars" in 1991 beyond these uploads to YouTube, but the 1991 ones have an amended logo and when Vince introduces the show each ep has a lengthy unnatural pause after he says "Superstars" suggesting an edit. In the body of the show he describes it as "Superstars of Wrestling". 

• Paid Members

Yeah, now looking at the versions I have, they are edited at the point where Vince says "Superstars of Wrestling" down to just "Superstars". 

Interestingly though, the banners in the arena just say "Superstars", and they definitely used to have the full title. I wonder why that change was made? That screen shot is taken from an early 91 ep. 

Superstars.png

It does raise the question though, if these have already been edited, and without massive blurring, why don't they just upload them? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Yeah, now looking at the versions I have, they are edited at the point where Vince says "Superstars of Wrestling" down to just "Superstars". 

Interestingly though, the banners in the arena just say "Superstars", and they definitely used to have the full title. I wonder why that change was made? That screen shot is taken from an early 91 ep. 

Superstars.png

It does raise the question though, if these have already been edited, and without massive blurring, why don't they just upload them? 

Hmm, that's weird about the banners, and you're right it does raise the question why they can't upload them. Maybe these were edited for the old 24/7 channel? Maybe it's just not a priority, shame really I'd love to watch some in higher quality but will make do with YouTube for now.

9 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Can't watch it but WWE app has a link in it's Boxing Day section to a match between Evander Holyfield and Matt Hardy on SNME. Wtf was that all about?

Matt Hardy and MVP were feuding and having a series of competitions, like basketball, chess etc. MVP would often cheat his way to victory, and in the case of this boxing challenge, MVP's way of cheating was to draft Holyfield in as a substitute.

• neil locked this topic