Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

Everything WWE does is re-writing of history. Not sure why anyone is bothered by it.

They do like to push Beth Phoenix above the reality, IMO in part because she's Edge's wife and because she's a fit, healthy role model as opposed to someone like Chyna who was the first to do all the things Beth did but isn't someone whose name I'd ever drop if I was them either.

There's also the fact that they have to keep up this pretense that women's wrestling slowly evolved under their guiding hand through the years, rather than being a much maligned, sexually suggestive rust bucket until 2015 or so. So people like Beth and Alundra Blaze are now the Rock and Austins of their time, when it suits them.Ā 

Yeah Beth's definitely one that's benefited from WWE's hindsight revisionist attitude to their roster. They do a good job of re-framing people in a different context when they want to. They make her feel a lot more important now than she ever did at the time. Not that she was ever terrible or didn't achieve anything but still, she's certainly been pushed towards the front.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Everything WWE does is re-writing of history. Not sure why anyone is bothered by it.

You only have to harkĀ back to theĀ mid 90's when all the proper stars had shifted over to WCW. Anyone watching in 1994 would be under the impression thatĀ Andre the Giant led the golden generation and that Ernie Ladd, Arnie Skaaland and Fred Blassie were the biggest legends of all time.

RVD is a hell of a lot more iconic to the people who watched wrestling when it mattered than the vast majority of stars they've attempted to create in years since.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 12/22/2020 at 7:29 PM, Mikeymike83 said:

I love the early Superstars episodes too. My only issue I have with the uploads is that they seem to be focusing on a time frame ('93 onwards) where we already have Raw to fill in the gaps between the PPV's. Would like some of the TV content to be from the early 90's.

Other than that, all classic content is good content in my book

Late to the party on this, but isn't lack of pre 1992 Superstars eps on the network because the trademark for "Superstars of Wrestling" lapsed and some indie bought it meaning WWE can't use it? I'm sure I recall reading that somewhere.Ā 

Edit - from the wiki (so with a pinch of salt):

WWE abandoned theĀ Superstars of WrestlingĀ trademark when they changed the show's name toĀ WWF SuperstarsĀ in the early 1990s. Albert Patterson, a Wisconsin independent wrestling promoter, successfully trademarked the phrase in 1993. Although there has been litigation between the WWE and Patterson, WWE has not been able to settle with Patterson for the usage of "Superstars of Wrestling". Due to this issue, WWE blurs theĀ Superstars of WrestlingĀ banners when archival content is shown on theĀ WWE Network.

So maybe blurring all those shows is too much of a pain in the arse?

Edited by mim731
More info

12 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Lex Luger get tarred with a lot of shit. I imagine this "Icon" show dedicated to him will be an absolute 100% hit-job

Yep. Don't think he was ever really forgiven for showing up on the first Nitro a day (I think) after his last WWF appearance. Donā€™t think anyone from the WWF knew Luger was rejoining WCW until they saw him on Nitro.

Edited by LCJ