Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

These Timeline things are fantastic. I thought at a glance they'd feature full matches too and be one of those playlists it'd take a full day to get through but the 40 min to hour format of them is a perfect blend of match clips, promos etc. Some less obvious stuff too. The Owen/Bret one - the best of the bunch - features plenty of interview clips of the pair not just from Raw but the smaller little shows they'd have had around that time. Wrestling Challenge or what have you. 

They're just so much fun. A way to watch back feuds you've seen a million times in a way that still feels sort of new. The aforementioned Bret/Owen collection was the best hour I've spent watching wrestling all year. I was just giddy like a kid. As others have said the Savage/Flair one is great too. The Rock's Nation run is an excellent example of the kind of future ones they should be doing, too. Prominent feuds - but they've not gone for Rock/Austin. That doesn't need to be chronicled again. 

• 1 month later...

Lana's WWE Chronicle. 

Again - and this has been said ad nauseam - I'm now immediately at least somewhat invested in a character in a way their TV has not accomplished to date. Was there anything earth shattering in it? No. But it does that wonderful job of conveying the human behind the character. That mad idea that even if someone has the worst, most meaningless match on the card, it was still a huge deal for them to have to walk down the ramp. 

You take that from these docs and hopefully never see them quite as passively again. Which is something TV angles never do. 

This opinion was formed after five minutes of the thing too, by the way. Not only can you definitely squeeze this on to a Raw, you can use it to sell the Network!

Then she has to clearly refer to her husband as 'the person I was on the road with' - no shit - and you realise again the rotten moral discrepancy between wanting to follow these people and potentially propping up the shitehouses they work for. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Yeah I definitely care more about Lana now than I ever have. Its such a unique thing to see someone genuinely reacting to their tweets and stuff like that. Does make you look at things a bit differently.

I definitely respect her and her work ethic. She knows she isn't going to be the best but she does want to work and be better. It must be such a tough thing to deal with - wanting to go out there and entertain but not really being able to.

• 4 weeks later...

WWE Untold: Goldberg's Streak is fantastic. 

Obviously Da Man shows up as a talking had and is his usual great self (no sarcasm - he's clearly a good bloke). 

It's a great story and makes me pine for a time when wrestling was more organic, for sure. They also have loads of rare archive material, such as Goldberg training at the Power Plant and behind-the-scenes shooting pay-per-view commercials and stuff. 

As well as the man himself there's Kevin Nash and DDP as talking heads. Both are good value for very different reasons. And some bloke off The Bump, who I'm not familiar with, but does a good job of providing the fan's perspective as someone who grew up watching during the era. 

It's honestly one of the better things they've done in a whole and possibly the best of the Untolds. WWE's documentary crew really will keep me subscribing for as long as they're banging out quality content. 

As an aside, I don't think it can be said what a good bloke Big Bill is. There's some stuff in there about the work he does for charity and how much he loves being a role model for kids. Reminded me of a story from Luke Gallows that I heard recently about how Goldberg agreed to do appearances for some shows in South America in 2012 for a cut price, as long as it was written into his contract that everyone had to put in some time at local kid's hospitals. 

Great man. 

20 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

There's an interesting bit I'd not heard before, about Hogan being a cunt by rubbing Deep Heat in his armpit and starting the match by getting Goldberg in a headlock so it went in his eyes.

I must have watched the end of this match hundreds of times throughout the years, and nearly every time I do, I still cant figure out how 1998 Hogan took probably the best Jackhammer Goldberg has ever done, and also agreed to put Bill over as clean as he did. Everything we know about Hogan from this time would surely have lead to him sandbagging the Jackhammer (or it being shit even with the best of intentions from Hulk), and also having DDP or Malone whacking him with a chair beforehand. Must be a story in there somewhere. Was he paid a 'bonus' for doing it as it were on TV do we know?

• Paid Members

Goldberg was a big guy and was quite clearly going places. Echoes of the Ultimate Warrior in 1990 in some ways.

As much as I love Bret Hart, there's a part of me that can't really blame Hogan for refusing to lose clean in '93 to one half of the Hart Foundation.

There are a lot of parallels between 1993 and 2002/03 or so when star power in the WWF suddenly fell off a cliff with the company cramming previous midcarders down your throat as credible main event talent.

Edited by garynysmon

1993 should've been one hell of a year for Bret if the rumours were true. They apparently wanted the Warrior to lose to him via the sharpshooter at the Rumble and then he was originally meant to regain his title back from Hogan at SummerSlam.  Instead 1993 became the year when you first noticed how thread bare the roster had become. By the time they got to Survivor Series it looked awful. Looking back, the New Generation era was pretty shit.

• Paid Members

Hated watching that "Goldberg: Untold". Guy has a total hard-on for himself. Had a massive year between 1997 and 1998, but never as mega over as he thinks he is since.

ADDED: Bit of a c*nt move from Hogan doing that in their match though. Where's the story about Scott Hall using a supposed real stun-gun too?

Edited by bAzTNM#1

The new WWE Icons series looks a good watch. 

Documentaries on Davey Boy, Yokozuna, Luger, RVD and Beth Phoenix. 

There's a sampler/preview on the Network and they're filmed really well and there's a good selection of talking heads for each. 

Looks like they'll be doing one a week from January 31st, which is the Yoko episode. 

It'll keep me subscribing. I seriously considered my 9.99 this week when I looked at the recently added section and it was all modern indie shite, including the Best of Mark Andrews in Flippy Pro Wrestling. 

They seemed to stop with the uploading of Progress events rather quickly and settled into the Best Of format focusing on NXT & NXT UK guys. They’ve obviously got access to the full library, but considering there are large portions of the promotion’s run where SpeakingOut abusers are the centrepiece of the show, I wouldn’t expect them to upload anymore full shows anytime soon.

12 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I wouldn’t expect them to upload anymore full shows anytime soon.

I'd be happy for them to stop altogether.

Only reason I'm subscribing is for classic content and original stuff like the dociumentaries and Broken Skull Sessions etc. 

Going from regular old show dumps and Hidden Gems to getting The Best of Flippy McKickpads in Some Shite British Company and The Bump has been depressing to see.