Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

Hmmm. I suppose that depends on what we'll class as drawing money.

In terms of merchandise or ticket sales, or both? It's intriguing, because I would say Cena has probably earned more in terms of selling merchandise than Rock or Austin

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Hmmm. I suppose that depends on what we'll class as drawing money.

In terms of merchandise or ticket sales, or both? It's intriguing, because I would say Cena has probably earned more in terms of selling merchandise than Rock or Austin

Cena was a draw. But he was on top throughout a downturn in business. Absolutely no doubt that it would have been a worse downturn without him but still. Hogan and Austin both boomed business to unprecedented levels. Rock drew massively in and out of wrestling. Hardly anyone else is on that level.

It's a tough one, because I think Cena is a level up from Undertaker and Triple H, but he's a level down from Hogan, Rock and Austin.

He's kind of in the middle of those two groups on his own.

Hogan was wrestling throughout the 80's during the boom period, and into the early 90's. Austin was the main man during the attitude era when wrestling was mega-hot again. Rock is up there due to his crossover appeal as well as his wrestling career.

I can't put Cena in that group.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mim731 said:

It might be old news, apologies if so, but just noticed a load of 1993 Superstars episodes have appeared!

Ooh, lovely. I don't think they put it on their new additions list so I don't think I'd have spotted that. I'm all for more of these kind of shows being added. I feel like I know most of the Raw and Nitro stuff like the back of my hand. I tend to have stuff on in the background when I work so I genuinely get far more excited when a new batch of Heat or Superstars goes up. 

• Paid Members

I'm finally going back and watching the Ultimate Submission match from Backlash 2001.

Benoit the wrestler was phenomenal, and had it not been for Benoit the person he and Angle could have been that generation's Steamboat and Flair. Their title match at the Royal Rumble was incredible as well. 

I think Heyman's commentary makes it even better than it was. I always rated him when he replaced Lawler. He kept JR on his toes as well. 

14 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm finally going back and watching the Ultimate Submission match from Backlash 2001.

Benoit the wrestler was phenomenal, and had it not been for Benoit the person he and Angle could have been that generation's Steamboat and Flair. Their title match at the Royal Rumble was incredible as well. 

I think Heyman's commentary makes it even better than it was. I always rated him when he replaced Lawler. He kept JR on his toes as well. 

Is it any good watching it back?

I remember at the time thinking it was a right snooze fest, I don't think I have ever watched it back since it happened.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Any combination of Benoit/Angle/Jericho always got my attention. They're quite difficult to watch back, but I remember them being some of my all time favourites.

The toughest one to watch is the ladder match at the 2001 Royal Rumble. That spot where Benoit dives through the ropes and Jericho swats him out of the air with the chair is brutal. It was bad enough to watch at the time, but given the alleged state his brain was in when they did the autopsy it's even more harrowing.

Angle/Benoit at Royal Rumble for me is an absolute blinder. They were so good in the ring together.

As a side note, I rewatched the triple threat from Vengence 2002 - ROCK / UNDERTAKER / ANGLE. What a great Triple Threat match. Probably up there with the best of all time for execution. Also that big old belt is so so hot.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Angle/Benoit at Royal Rumble for me is an absolute blinder. They were so good in the ring together.

As a side note, I rewatched the triple threat from Vengence 2002 - ROCK / UNDERTAKER / ANGLE. What a great Triple Threat match. Probably up there with the best of all time for execution. Also that big old belt is so so hot.

That big old belt appears to have found its way to the prop department for the Big Show Show.