Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed that one, helped by Big Show just being an amiable guy. I'm sure these episodes won't be doing the numbers that The Undertaker one did, but I hope they keep it up, because listening to old pros talking shop has been great. 

There wasn't a lot that hasn't already been discussed, but just hearing Show and Austin chat fairly naturally and organically about it all rather than it being a documentary format meant it was all still interesting. Show's take on why he was put in the NWO, and his problems with that stable, was interesting, as was them comparing Big Show's struggles early on with Braun Strowman today.

When he started talking about a bit of advice he gave the cruiserweights, I was fully expecting the usual "slow down", so was pleasantly surprised by "the biggest pop of the match should be your finish". 

Started watching the 92 Superstars, since it's an oft quoted golden era - @garynysmon's alarm just went off - and it's got the most ludicrous advert ever for WBF Body Stars on it. 

"Hanging and banging."

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Started watching the 92 Superstars, since it's an oft quoted golden era - @garynysmon's alarm just went off - and it's got the most ludicrous best ever advert ever for WBF Body Stars on it. 

"Hanging and banging."

Just corrected that for you.

You won't find this on the network, but have so much nostalgia for the old WWF/Sun adverts that seemed to be all over the place in 1992. I was 8 years old so didn't know how shitty the paper was back then.

Edited by garynysmon

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The Ruthless Aggression Series has been a bit shit. The odd bit of interesting backstage footage, but not much more

Yeah, this has been a big disappointment to be honest. I was excited when they announced it but it just hasn't lived up to what I thought it was going to be. 

The Evolution episode was probably the best one, because everyone mostly told the truth and the behind-the-scenes stuff was interesting. The first one was typical WWE narrative stuff - of course the World Wildlife Fund for Nature lawsuit had nothing to do with the name change - and the Brock one was a major letdown. 

How can you do a documentary on Lesnar, one of the most interesting figures in WWE history, and cut it down to 40 minutes of nothing? 

Hoping the last episode is a lot better. 

The Lesnar one was inevitably hamstrung by the big lad electing not to appear in it, save for clips from that Confidential interview they done of him where he looks nutted out of it on his Ruthless Aggression era vodka and vicodin diet. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

I think it's been fine, but it's not exactly the most fascinating period in their history. I have counted 5 showings of Lesnar F5'ing Rikishi in 4 episodes, not sure why they think this is such an iconic moment - I think they've shown it more often than the ring collapsing. 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed parts of the Lesnar one, though it's hilarious that despite him being under contract they still couldn't get him to record any interviews for a documentary about him. 

For the most part they've all been hurt by the amount of revisionist history or just plain glossing over things, and by weird pacing - them doing a whole episode on John Cena as the chosen next big guy before they'd talked about Brock seemed an odd choice to me, and kind of implied a chronology that wasn't true. Trying to do a Ruthless Aggression series, and talking about all the problems they encountered at the time, without talking about Guerrero and Benoit (which obviously they were never going to) just means it's a random grab bag of what they feel worked at that time. It also felt typically selective of WWE to be talking about the need to build new stars and focus on a new generation, while conveniently glossing over the fact that they had Austin eating up TV time forever after he retired, and were giving major in-ring pushes to Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and a decades past his prime Roddy Piper, trying to get their hands on every WCW name they could, and pushing Vince McMahon as an in-ring competitor to an unprecedented degree.

The Evolution one was probably the most interesting, in terms of openly talking about Flair's anxieties, Orton being an immature dick, how the group formed, and the possibility of Jindrak having been part of the group. 

So far it's been a random grab bag of stuff from that era, with my only real takeaway from it being that I want to see a much longer interview/discussion with Brian Gewirtz about it all - he was a real hate figure online at the time, with the blame for everything placed at this feet for not being a "wrestling guy", but he often comes across as the sole voice of reason in this series, especially contrasted to the adding nothing yes man bullshit of Bruce Prichard.

And, as ever, good to see Jim Cornette take a break from criticising AEW because the Khans donated to the Trump campaign in order to take a paycheck from the Trump supporting WWE. 

Agreed on Gewirtz. Seems like the kind of gentle, level headed guy you could imagine JBL dragging into the showers for a bit of 'initiation'. I'm sure he's far happier out from Vince's thumb. Didn't know he produces for the Rock's Seven Bucks Productions company until I just looked him up. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Yeah, Gewirtz comes across as a fairly rational & likeable lad during the episodes, the complete opposite of that wanker Prichard and his big jelly neck. I loved the unseen footage of Orton acting his age backstage, and was hoping for more of that type of stuff as opposed to the usual WWE shite we've ended up with. I also would have loved an in depth episode on the mini revival Smackdown underwent in late 2002 with the rise of the likes of Edge, Matt Hardy, Mysterio, Eddie, Cena, Brock etc.

Is the FCW show worth a gander?

Edited by DCW