The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

I've always stayed in at least decent shape but after being off work for a lot of November and December so I could be around more for the early days with my daughter, I'm probably the chubbiest I've ever been right now. I basically just sat around for most of it and ate and drank myself silly over Christmas as well. Doesn't help that I'm a 5'7" shortarse. It's pretty much just the stomach, I've gone from abs to flab there in a worryingly short time. As I've got older I've noticed that more and more. When I was late teens/early 20s I could go through spells eating junk and drinking and my body would barely change at all. Now at 28, a few weeks silly eating and not being active enough and I start getting the old Mickie James potbelly. And it doesn't look as good on me. I'm already back to eating healthy. I just let myself go over Christmas. But to shift the Mickie James gut I'll have to get back to the running, swimming and BJJ. All of which I've not been doing much lately.

Now I'm back at work it'll be easier to keep a routine as well. When I was off I was totally on the baby's timetable. I'd just sleep as and when because I didn't have to be up for work the next day. So I'd be giving her the bottle at like 3am, and I'd be eating at that time. Then I'd get up late and I'd be eating breakfast at like 12 or 1pm. Then the next day might be completely different times. Proper fucked me about, eating and sleeping at weird times. My body clock was all to cock. And I've been feeling really sluggish and just unmotivated to get off my arse. I'm still adjusting back to work hours now and it's been harder than I expected getting back into the routine.

Once I start regular exercise again and I'm back in the groove with work and eating better, I think I'll feel much better in myself. Even the last week or so, just not drinking alcohol or fizzy drinks, I've just been drinking water again and that alone has made me feel better. Gone for a couple of jogs and didn't feel as bad as I thought, so I think I'll be able to get back to normal soon enough.

What I found quite demoralising though, was my girlfriend gave birth and within a week was back in her old clothes. And here's me all chubby because I hate too many Haribos over Christmas. She lost the weight, and I fucking found it.

• Paid Members

I know it's an obvious thing to point out, but eating right and keeping at the gym/exercising every day, combined with not consuming much in the way of sugar or fizzy drinks has just made me so much more on track in a personal way.

I no longer find myself happy to sit about not doing much, I need to be up and active and doing something. I'm cooking proper meals with plenty of variety and drinking plenty of water; and the health benefits are coming through already.

It's pecked off the remaining anxiety issues I had, like having to sleep with a lamp/TV on and generally being socially awkward at times. I'm taking part in things more, trying new things I'd never have tried and just generally being a happier more active person.

Only lost 4lbs so far, but it's only been a week I've been keeping track of it. It's encouraging to see results and the whole keeping track of KM walked and Feet climbed per day is keeping me busy in between the proper weigh-ins. I'm just under 17st now and hopefully by the end of the month I'll be closer to 16st, possibly 15st something.

My missus is working lates this week, so last night I used my 7 Minute Workout App on my phone for the first time. Quite a decent little workout, and probably somethign you could do maybe 2 or 3 times to get a really good workout, however being as unfit as I am, I strugglked to get through the full 7 minutes properly last night.

Got up early this morning and did it again this morning though, so gonna keep at it and build up to doing it all fully and properly and then move onto doing it twice in a row, maybe with a small break in between.

Will certainly be back doing it again tonight after work

• Paid Members

I've been keeping to going to the gym, doing only cardio at the moment, pretty much every day bar yesterday. Yesterday I just felt utterly, utterly drained after getting up early for work. So I pussied out and went home instead of to the gym. Now I feel annoyed with myself about that. I think my main issue is going to be pushing myself to go on days like yesterday where my motivation is low due to tiredness/laziness.

• Moderators

Nice going Trips!

I was shocked when I read about how much weight you'd put on over the last few years, because in my mind I imagined you as the picture I'd seen on here several years ago when you didn't look that big. Sounds like the weight is flying of though, which is very cool..

Keep it up dude!

• Paid Members

Seeing the gym is in n00b season and the treadmills/trainers are constantly packed on Mondays, I've been finally taking to street running. After a fairly poor (my standards) run last week, last night I successfully completed a 2.2 mile loop (from the gym up several main roads past the house I used to live in, light inclines and a steep drop) for three laps in a shade less than 80 minutes, having reached 10km in @74min.

I welcomed the rain at the end of the last lap :)

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
Nice going Trips!

I was shocked when I read about how much weight you'd put on over the last few years, because in my mind I imagined you as the picture I'd seen on here several years ago when you didn't look that big. Sounds like the weight is flying of though, which is very cool..

Keep it up dude!

Cheers Chest. Yeah I'm a right fat arse at the minute, though not my biggest. At my worst I was a 42 waist, whereas I'm slightly loose in a 40 now. Annoying really when I remember getting frustrated at going up to a 34 at one point.

I'd post a photo but I'd rather wait until I've lost enough to notice and then post a comparison.

• Moderators
Seeing the gym is in n00b season and the treadmills/trainers are constantly packed on Mondays, I've been finally taking to street running. After a fairly poor (my standards) run last week, last night I successfully completed a 2.2 mile loop (from the gym up several main roads past the house I used to live in, light inclines and a steep drop) for three laps in a shade less than 80 minutes, having reached 10km in @74min.

Running outside is a million times better than a treadmill. Treadmills in my mind are useful for when the weather is shit, or you want to do a strict interval type routine. Otherwise, get the fuck outside.

Running outside is a million times better than a treadmill. Treadmills in my mind are useful for when the weather is shit, or you want to do a strict interval type routine. Otherwise, get the fuck outside.

Treadmills can be useful for hill training if you don't live near any decent hills...otherwise agree 100%.

After a very tough first week of marathon training, my blisters are healing, I'm not aching all the time and I'm falling in love with running all over again... :love:

• Paid Members
1 week in, 10lbs off. I know its always a big number on the 1st week, mostly water etc, but quite chuffed.

Fuck me. A rowing machine is quite the work out. I feel good. I also appear to have lost weight. Actual weight loss!

Way to go guys!

The rowing machine kills me, I can do 1000m tops, in two 500 reps.

I overdid the food & bevvy in the last 6 months of last year and it's showing.

Repeated knee injuries weren't helping matters either but I went to the physio in late December and I'm gradually beginning to feel some improvement. Played 5-a-sides tonight for the first time in ages which was quite the experience, hopefully it will become a regular thing as I'm much more motivated to be active in company rather than alone.

• Paid Members
1 week in, 10lbs off. I know its always a big number on the 1st week, mostly water etc, but quite chuffed.

Fuck me. A rowing machine is quite the work out. I feel good. I also appear to have lost weight. Actual weight loss!

Way to go guys!

The rowing machine kills me, I can do 1000m tops, in two 500 reps.

Yeah, I pretty much did 1000m and nearly died.

Happy Birthday, by the way.