The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

pryko, what do you do for a living and all that jazz? Neil's assessment could very well be correct. Everyone thinks it's something very serious when its their back when more often than not its not as serious as feared. Not that I'm saying yours is a case of the same. But often the diagnosis is sciatica when it often actually isn't (at least from my experiences).

How long have you been having the pain, when did you first notice it and what was you doing when you did? And what do you find aggravates it?

pryko, what do you do for a living and all that jazz? Neil's assessment could very well be correct. Everyone thinks it's something very serious when its their back when more often than not its not as serious as feared. Not that I'm saying yours is a case of the same. But often the diagnosis is sciatica when it often actually isn't (at least from my experiences).

How long have you been having the pain, when did you first notice it and what was you doing when you did? And what do you find aggravates it?

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I did actually used to walk to work and back every day and have only really stopped during the winter. As soon as it starts brightening up again, I'll be back on it.

I do actually work in an office, so am sat around a lot of the time and my posture is terrible. I work as a computer programmer, and once I start really getting into my code and finding my grrove, I realise that I'm slouching quite a lot so that I can put my feet up on the back of my desk which is comfortable for me, but probably not doing my back any good. I've really made the effort today to sit upright as much as possible with both feet on the ground.

My back pain has been around for a few years, but it's one of those things where it's not that bad that I need to complain about it It was more of an uncomfortable feeling rather than pain. It's really weird too. If i'm doing something physical like when I used to go to they gym regularly and do some boxing or if I was playing football, I don't tend to have any pain, when I'm at work I'm also fine (even with my poor postured seating arrangement), but when I sit on the couch at home I notice it and when I'm in bed I notice it. My only real reason for bringing it up previously was because it has become more apparent recently and I have put more weight on in the past 2 years. I used to walk around at maybe 11 and a half to 12 stone, whereas now I'm upto just short of 15 stone, so I'm still not convinced my back is anything really serious, but obviously yesterday having started doing some exercise to lose the weight it made my back worse. I thnk the missus was over-reacting really with the sciatica. I've never had any pain in my legs or anything like that.

There is a chiroractor near me that has a special offer on that your first visit is

I managed some more sets on the weights tonight and a slightly extended jog. My lungs don't actually feel as sore tonight, though I suspect my legs might ache a bit in the morning. I just hope I can keep it up for more than a 5-day working week, which is how long my last jogging regime lasted (I think was some time late in 2012).

Been hitting the gym quite a bit in the last year. Thankfully me being off work for a large part of last year has helped. Gone from 16 3/4 stone to about 14 1/2 thanks to LOTS of spinning.

Gonna try walking to and from my parents tomorrow which is 17 miles away. Should be fun.

17 mile walk for someone called "TheSlouch"? Well played

• Paid Members

4 miles ran on Monday, another 3 or 4 tonight or tomorrow night, and then 8-9 miles on saturday (did 7.5 last Sat), so I reckon I'm getting towards being on target for the half marathon in mid-feb. Although, you would never know it to look at me. Same thing happened last time I tried this though, it was only in the latter stages of training that any real appreciable difference showed.

Have also mostly cut out bread, and am instead opting for cous cous or brown rice for lunches, with butternut squash or Quorn pieces. Feel way less lethargic, and far more sprightly as a result even after just a few days, so I'm hoping this will be the start of good things!

Started the 5:2 diet this week.

I had a prolapsed disc that compressed my spine and which resulted in losing everything waist down before I had

Emergency surgery to remove the compression back in May last year.

I can walk with the aid of a crutch and I have hydro pool sessions once a week. Looking to do some light gym work to aid further recovery and weight lose.

• Moderators

Two days back in work, two days in the gym. Feels good! I'm not gonna really be able to get into a rhythym as I'm off on holiday for a couple weeks next week, but my priority at the moment is to make sure I do my shoulder streches every day, twice a day. I've got this niggling rotator injury that is really bugging me and I want to get that sorted so I can get back to training properly.

My physical goals this year are -

- Start lead climbing (been bouldering for a while, but need to get into this. This will require greater stamina and endurance).

- Deadlifts. I wanna get into this whole deadlift thang... I've heard good things and have always been a bit scared of getting into them.

- Go away on at least one extended climbing trip, be it lead or bouldering. For this I'll need to step the climbing back up again - recently it's only been once a week mostly, with the odd week where I go a couple times. Need to get it back up to at least twice a week. (Went loads over Christmas though and it was brilliant as the climbing place was mostly empty for the last couple weeks).

- Continue swimming. I started swimming once a week recently as it's something my girlfriend enjoys so it's another thing we can do together

- get back on the handstand pushups. I managed to do them last year for the first time. That was around the mid year time when I was at my peak for the year, before I met my girlfriend and training got a bit sidelined. mI don't know why I want to do them, I just do.. and it seems as decent a goal as any so whatever! Ten in a row; that's certainly achievable.

• Moderators

I too have found one of the worst times for it to be when trying to sleep...

I haven't had it checked out. But I'm quite sure it's the rotator and my brother and my friend have both had repeated rotator injuries in the past and have given me all the stretches and exercises I need to do to get it sorted and that's pretty much all a physio would do anyway!