Sign in to follow this  
ShortOrderCook

The Health and Fitness Thread

I just joined a gym.

Like, officially.

I paid.

Jesus.

I just want to lose weight to start with, I need to drop probably at least a stone. Do you guys think doing intervals on a bike would help a lot with that?

I too have found one of the worst times for it to be when trying to sleep...

I haven't had it checked out. But I'm quite sure it's the rotator and my brother and my friend have both had repeated rotator injuries in the past and have given me all the stretches and exercises I need to do to get it sorted and that's pretty much all a physio would do anyway!

Could be tendonitis. I once had my left shoulder be in quite a lot of pain and was convinced it was a rotator cuff injury. Ice, ibuprofen and rest cleared it up.

Oh and on the topic of deadlifts you should definitely do them. Start out light though until you've got your form well under control. The ego wants you to load those plates up on the bar, but you'll just end up rounding your back.

I just joined a gym.

Like, officially.

I paid.

Jesus.

I just want to lose weight to start with, I need to drop probably at least a stone. Do you guys think doing intervals on a bike would help a lot with that?

Was that Bodyworks down in Seven Sisters? How much they charging?

I just joined a gym.

Like, officially.

I paid.

Jesus.

Was that Bodyworks down in Seven Sisters? How much they charging?

Fuck no, Bodyworks want

Edited by SpursRiot2012

Nah, 2013's quest for fitness didn't go well. I'm thinking of joining the gym at Finsbury Park station though. If you sign up for two years it only costs something like

The one in Finsbury Park is just a much better location for me. Especially if I manage to start working out before work. Getting to work from Finsbury Park is ridiculously easy. Getting there from Tottenham High Road is significantly more difficult.

Started off 2014 quite decently when it comes to eating/drinking right and keeping active.

Since Boxing Day I've not bought anything like sweets or chocolate, and takeaways and alcohol have been kept to an event-only basis such as New Years Eve and a friend's birthday last night. I've been eating decent food, lots of rice, fish, chicken, veg and red meat. Avoided microwave meals, rustler's burgers and stuff like bread and pastries.

Been trying to get out and walk quite a bit each day, even just a mooch around town for an hour. Started back up at the gym tonight and kept it light with an hours cardio. I just got the new Wii Fit U which has a pedometer with it too, so I've been doing the challenges on there which gives me a general aim. It counts your steps and equates it to popular distances in Km like the London Marathon and what not. Today I did 4.8k between walking around and doing the treadmill at the gym.

It's daft, but I'm more likely to exercise with this Wii Fit thing than I would be without it, if only because it blends games and goals and tracks it all. One of my issues was always feeling like no matter how much I did I wasn't getting anywhere, so with this I can see all the data.

I'm currently 17st 2lbs, which is shocking considering I was always around 12/13st up until about 18 and I've just piled it on in the last 6 years.

Signing up for a swimming membership in a couple of weeks on payday, started going in the new year and without really having any set routine or thorough plan I'm enjoying it immensely. Definitely something I want to sink my teeth into.

-For other swimmers, are there any good training programmes you follow which get great results?

-Would lifting weights in addition be a benefit or detrimental? Lots of conflicting stories on that front but most of the searches I find are looking at things from an athletic standpoint. Ideally I'd like to get stronger and build up stamina, so using occasional weights and primarily swimming is that possible?

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

I spent a big chunk of my of my working day laughing my arse off at people who have obviously started jogging just after new years day. Mostly because of how unprepared a lot of them are to go running in bad weather. Just loads of people running in shitty trainers, or swimming shorts and plastic rain mac being my favourite one that I saw.

Also before work I popped into Holland Barrett and got myself some more protein shakes the meal replacement drinks I was having for breakfast. I've not been to the gym yet this year though I'm not looking forward to new year's dickheads who don't clean off the machines once they're using them or will sit there texting or playing candy crush hogging machines.

Well the MMA gym I go to has been shut for the past 2 weeks. I prefer to go there and do pad work or sparring in the day since I work most evenings. I've just been waiting for pay day to renew my gym membership and get my month's supply of supplements.