The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

I've been vegetarian for over a year now, and I must say that I've been happy with the benefits. It's not for everyone, of course, but there you go.

Now that things have quietened down a bit here with business set-up and suchlike I plan to take advantage of the weather and get into cycling and bodyboarding.

Actually getting up and doing it will be a different matter of course, but I have no excuse really. Here's hoping, as I'm almost in my mid thirties and I'm not quite as fit as I'd like to be.

my training day meals consist of the following

porridge (scoop of protein in it)

Pre workout protein drink

train - intra protein drink

post workout recovery drink

chicken 100g chicken with salad

protein shake

turkey mince brown rice with spring greens

protein shake

steak 100g chicken 80g cale

protein shake

My cardio day (every other day) has more carbs - ill post it later. obviously its not the same through out. i mix it up a bit but predominantly training days are heavy on protein.

• Paid Members

In desperate need of help here.

I'm 27 years old, 5"9 and just a few pounds shy of 17 stone. It's about time I got off my arse and done something about it. I picked up an exercise bike just before Christmas that I've yet to use. But in the last week I've started walking home from work (Google maps tells me it's a 4.9 mile walk) and altering my diet. No more takeaways, fizzy drinks and the like. Started eating proper breakfasts in place of bacon and sausage baps drowned in ketchup every morning.

I've made a start I suppose, but in all honesty I still don't know what exactly I should and should not be doing. I suppose I'm looking for advice on diet and on exercise bike workouts, maybe some success stories to motivate me.

Help!

I'm 27 years old, 5"9 and just a few pounds shy of 17 stone. It's about time I got off my arse and done something about it. I picked up an exercise bike just before Christmas that I've yet to use. But in the last week I've started walking home from work (Google maps tells me it's a 4.9 mile walk) and altering my diet. No more takeaways, fizzy drinks and the like. Started eating proper breakfasts in place of bacon and sausage baps drowned in ketchup every morning.

I've made a start I suppose, but in all honesty I still don't know what exactly I should and should not be doing. I suppose I'm looking for advice on diet and on exercise bike workouts, maybe some success stories to motivate me.

Help!

Sounds like you've made a good, sensible start. Small steps are best I reckon.

Get used to the exercise bike by just doing a few 20 minutes sessions at a manageable pace. When you get more confident, try some intervals...ie. 1 minute flat out, followed by 1 minute (or even 2 minutes to start with) at a serene pace. Keep making it harder for yourself as you get better

Help!

Keep going with this. I was the same age and height as you and weighed 15 stone 8 pounds. I lost 30 pounds in 5 months just by exercising mroe and cutting out the fatty breakfast and takeaway meals.

Since then I've put about 16 pounds back on but have th emotivation back and looking to drop around 20-25 pounds in 5/6 months. The main things is to not get too defeated if you do have the odd curry or pizza, just don't let it come back to the old levels and get back on the wagon right away.

• Paid Members

Much obliged for the info. Am I to understand that now I've changed my diet, I have restrictions on eating after a certain time? Only reason I ask is because I work from 10pm - 7am. So of course come 4am when everyone else is tucked up in bed, I'm just sitting down to lunch.

Thanks again!

I've been vegetarian for over a year now, and I must say that I've been happy with the benefits. It's not for everyone, of course, but there you go.

Now that things have quietened down a bit here with business set-up and suchlike I plan to take advantage of the weather and get into cycling and bodyboarding.

Actually getting up and doing it will be a different matter of course, but I have no excuse really. Here's hoping, as I'm almost in my mid thirties and I'm not quite as fit as I'd like to be.

That was my main change last year and I've noticed some big differences without even trying too hard to lose weight, this year I'm stepping it up and cutting out anything takeaway related and maybe shutting out dairy products completely.

That was my main change last year and I've noticed some big differences without even trying too hard to lose weight, this year I'm stepping it up and cutting out anything takeaway related and maybe shutting out dairy products completely.

I'm not sure about yourself, but I'd heard all manner of stories about how being vegetarian wasn't good for you, the human body needs meat and all sorts that I was a bit unsure about doing it. I haven't actually felt any negative effects at all, and that's without keeping close tabs on my nutritional intake and suchlike.

I simply cut out meat and started eating more vegetables, nuts and seeds and haven't really looked back since.

my training day meals consist of the following

porridge (scoop of protein in it)

Pre workout protein drink

train - intra protein drink

post workout recovery drink

chicken 100g chicken with salad

protein shake

turkey mince brown rice with spring greens

protein shake

steak 100g chicken 80g cale

protein shake

My cardio day (every other day) has more carbs - ill post it later. obviously its not the same through out. i mix it up a bit but predominantly training days are heavy on protein.

it should be noted that with my present diet and training regime I went from 19.7 to 16.7 in 8 weeks. My lean mass increased considerably but my bodyfat levels depleted rapidy also.

If anyone would like some assistance with this im more than happy to help just follow me on twitter @BigKeithColwill or friend me on facebook Keith Colwill and ill do what I can to assist. :thumbsup:

I've only ever felt positive effects, both mentally and physically. I have a lot of shit going on with my body as it is and since giving up meat I've felt some drastic improvments especially when it comes to mobility, I know that weight loss would contribute to that also but I haven't lost that much and I ain't thinking about going back to meat now that I can walk for hours compared to minutes beforehand.

I've only ever felt positive effects, both mentally and physically. I have a lot of shit going on with my body as it is and since giving up meat I've felt some drastic improvments especially when it comes to mobility, I know that weight loss would contribute to that also but I haven't lost that much and I ain't thinking about going back to meat now that I can walk for hours compared to minutes beforehand.

Glad to hear another success story mate! Hope you continue feeling good!

I've set myself a reasonably realistic little goal this time round: To be fit enough to come off the bench for 10 / 15 minutes before the end of the local Sunday League season. I've never played football in my life (save for 2 appearances for the under 16's, over a than a decade ago now) and can't run more than a few paces without losing my breath as things stand.

The standard of the football I watch on Sunday mornings is terrible though, and due a serious lack of commitment from the team they are always struggling for numbers. I think that if I get fit enough to at least be able to run in multiple directions for 10 / 15 minutes there'll be some point where they could do with an extra set of legs. Hell, they were shouting for me to come on the other week when an injured player left them with 10, even though they know I’m unfit and have no experience.

Is that the shittest and least ambitious goal ever or what? Or is it slightly more excusable than having no aim at all?