The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

Just started my first go at an actual fitness program, it's called Tapout XT. As you might guess, it's MMA-based, and is endorsed by a number of top MMA stars like Jon Jones and Carlos Condit. My mum saw the ad and decided to get it for me. On my third day of it and it's pretty intense. I can't seem to make it through the entire sessions, but the beauty of these programs is that they're on DVD in the comfort of your own home, so no one gets to see me pussy out :p I'm managing to complete about half hour of these sessions that go 45-55 minutes. Hoping that I can get my body to an acceptable level of fitness so my body doesn't completely die on me during these workouts.

This isn't strictly a New Year's reso thing for me, need to drop roughly 10 kilos as my knees and back are wreaking havoc on me at 85kg. I have Cerebral Palsy and my legs aren't really made for carrying my beer-enhanced upper body.

Everyone piss off with your awesome goals and dead good levels of achievement already. I jogged for about 10 minutes the other day and felt quite happy with myself until I read what yous fucking super heroes have been up to.

I think I might buy myself a pair of football boots and leave them out in the house, in view, to psychologically boost my mental attitude towards reclaiming a bit of fitness. My local Sunday league outfit are such a shambles that anyone that turns up with boots is eligible to play. As soon as I can run at a decent pace for 15 minutes I'm turning up and getting on that pitch. I might even be ready a week on Sunday if I stick to jogging pretty much every night.

• Awards Moderator

The latest Steve Austin podcast features Stan Efferding, a bodybuilder and fitness expert. His discussion about diet and consistency is really fact-based and interesting for those looking to cut down.

• Paid Members

I entered a gym for the first time in nine years tonight. I weighed myself. Just under 18 stone ffs. I did 10k on a bike with various resistances and then tried to do 4-1 intervals but at that point had to leave to go die. Long road ahead.

That sounds interesting. Is it just a weight loss thing or muscle/size/strength building program?

I'd say the workouts will definitely build muscle, but they're core intensive, so it should rip away the belly fat over time. I'm 5'9", so the only way I have any business being the weight I am is if I looked like this man:

lombard1.jpg

• Moderators
I'd say the workouts will definitely build muscle, but they're core intensive, so it should rip away the belly fat over time.

There's no correlation between building muscle in an area and fat burning in the same place.

I'd say the workouts will definitely build muscle, but they're core intensive, so it should rip away the belly fat over time.

There's no correlation between building muscle in an area and fat burning in the same place.

Whoever thought spot reducing was a fact rather than a myth needed shooting. I can't remember who made that shit up again.

Sorry, I worded that wrong. The overall program should help with the fat burning, the workouts build muscle, but it's supplemented by a nutrition guide I'm also following. Actually a lot of nice food in it- tonight I'm cooking up beef teriyaki :)

• Paid Members

To quickly recap what I've done today according to my Wii Fit Meter:

Climbed 137ft (this means taking stairs and stuff).

Walked 3.7k.

Then aside from that I did an hour cardio at the gym, which doesn't sound a lot but for a 17st fatty it was a decent workout. 15 mins treadmill, 30 minutes bike, 1000 meter rowing, then a 5 minute cooldown on the tread. Listened to Talk is Jericho with Stone Cold instead of music, was decent.

To quickly recap what I've done today according to my Wii Fit Meter:

Climbed 137ft (this means taking stairs and stuff).

Walked 3.7k.

Then aside from that I did an hour cardio at the gym, which doesn't sound a lot but for a 17st fatty it was a decent workout. 15 mins treadmill, 30 minutes bike, 1000 meter rowing, then a 5 minute cooldown on the tread. Listened to Talk is Jericho with Stone Cold instead of music, was decent.

I tend to listen to podcasts rather than music when doing cardio. Seems to go quicker.