The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members
1 week in, 10lbs off. I know its always a big number on the 1st week, mostly water etc, but quite chuffed.

Fuck me. A rowing machine is quite the work out. I feel good. I also appear to have lost weight. Actual weight loss!

Way to go guys!

The rowing machine kills me, I can do 1000m tops, in two 500 reps.

Cheers buddy!

As for the rowing machine, you are doing 999 more than I can!

Is the rowing machine that good in relation to an exercise workout? Whilst I know it's certainly not a simple answer, would a rowing machine workout be better in terms of potential weight loss than an exercise bike?

I'd say so. I can keep up a pretty fast pace on an exercise bike for a fairly long time, I've got about 5 minutes in me on a rowing machine before I'm blowing out my arse.

• Paid Members

I walked from Paisley to Johnstone on Saturday. Hopefully walking from Johnstone to God knows where on Saturday with my bro. Hope to eventually do it to Ayr, but in stages. Walking is good. It's a quiet path once you get away from Paisley.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I did my first ever session of football training tonight. I was fucked off the warm up and circuit training at the start of the session, but by the time it came to play a match I'd kind of got a second wind. My legs are stiffening up already and are going to probably be pretty damn sore tomorrow.

I managed to play for around 50 minutes though, so I surprised myself. My jogging sessions have lasted a half hour tops (and some of that is spent walking) and I've been absolutely fucked off them. Hopefully my legs will be repaired in time for next week's training. I think the jogs will have to go on hold for at least a couple of days after that.

• Paid Members
Is the rowing machine that good in relation to an exercise workout? Whilst I know it's certainly not a simple answer, would a rowing machine workout be better in terms of potential weight loss than an exercise bike?

I'd say so. I can keep up a pretty fast pace on an exercise bike for a fairly long time, I've got about 5 minutes in me on a rowing machine before I'm blowing out my arse.

Thanks for that. I've been struggling with calf injuries for a while and I'm basically looking for a rigorous warm but also something I can have a proper workout with.

Anyway, I decided to try the rowing machine tonight before football and Jesus Christ did it hurt. I did 2000m in 6 mins and at the end of it I felt like my whole body was burning. In fact those 6 mins seemed to do more than 30 mins on the exercise bike.

On top of that, it really put a spring back into my legs during football.

• Moderators

To follow up my own post. A foam roller is a solid investment, it's like giving yourself a massage. Very easy to use.

Richie- your legs are going to be more sore tomorrow FYI. I would suggest you keep yourself mobile as much as possible and do some stretching throughout the day.

• Paid Members
I've got about 5 minutes in me on a rowing machine before I'm blowing out my arse.

I hate rowing machines. Time seems to slow down when I'm on them, and I have to force myself not to look at the display as what feels like 5 minutes is usually about 90 seconds. I rarely last more than 20 minutes before I have to get off to protect my sanity.

• Paid Members
So, as predicted my legs are pretty stiff and sore after my first football training ever last night.

In situations like this, what would be more beneficial - A full night' relaxation to allow them to recover, or going for a bit of a walk to keep them active and not stiffen up any more?

The is basically going to be a do as I say and not a do as I do comment as I'm fucking terrible with it, but a proper warm down is essential to help reduce aching the following day.

Do some light jogging around the footy pitch followed by some proper stretching. Others in this thread will also say eat foods/drink shakes that are rich in protein that promote muscle recovery.

I'm shit at doing it though so I end up literally in agony the next day. Sometimes I will even pop a couple of Ibuprofen before bed and it results in no pain the following day. I just don't like doing it as I think that if I have to rely on ibuprofen to not feel like crap the next day then perhaps it's time to give it up?

So, as predicted my legs are pretty stiff and sore after my first football training ever last night.

In situations like this, what would be more beneficial - A full night' relaxation to allow them to recover, or going for a bit of a walk to keep them active and not stiffen up any more?

If you relax you'll likely end up in more pain tommorow. I find a light workout followed by a bath and/or massage does wonders. Although when I started back lifting weights, nothing helped my biceps, for three days I couldn't bend or straighten my arms without massive amounts of pain.