The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

So half marathon training has hit a snag. I ran ten miles last week at around 8 minute mile pace and when I hit 9.5 miles my legs and particularly the outside of my left knee just immediately started feeling really painful as I ran, this was after feeling really good for the whole run. I carried on for a half a mile and from that point on I was just limping and couldnt even manage a light jog home. I was limping and in a bit of pain for about 5 or 6 days after and then today (9 days alter) decided to go out for a run and planned to try 10 miles again. After about a mile I started feeling a twinge on the outside of my left knee (nowhere else this time) and it just slowly got more and more painful until the pain was very sharp and I had to stop about 3.5 miles. Its not very achy and little bit painful in the same spot when I get up and stretch my leg out. Anybody got any idea of what it might be or what could be causing it? Ive never really ran long distance before so im thinking it could be my knees not being used tot he impact or it could be my running style which is quite heavy footed and i seem to plant int he floor quite hard when I land. Also, any suggestions for making it better?

You probably have runner's knee, which I suffer from, only mine is more of a dull ache that actually goes away when I run. Get yourself a foam roller and ice it, followed by heat in the evenings.

• Paid Members

As what Guy B says above (and again thanks to Neil), the foam roller has been incredible for me. I've had calf problems but also knee problems like you state during football and Tennis.

The foam roller has helped improve these ailments massively. My calf pain has gone and my knee seems much better. I did a lot of work with the roller on my IT band (which basically connects your whole leg including your knee) by basically rolling the thing from hip to my ankle on the outside of my leg.

Thanks, yeah Id kinda diagnosed myself with IT Band Syndrome or 'runners knee' after a google search last night. Going to order a foam roller today and rest it this week with some ice and heat treatment before trying again when the pain has gone. The route I take it very hilly and I find myself running dropped cubs and dips in the pavement so will try and find a flat route and one where i can either run on the road or away from the pavement drops.

• Paid Members
Thanks, yeah Id kinda diagnosed myself with IT Band Syndrome or 'runners knee' after a google search last night. Going to order a foam roller today and rest it this week with some ice and heat treatment before trying again when the pain has gone. The route I take it very hilly and I find myself running dropped cubs and dips in the pavement so will try and find a flat route and one where i can either run on the road or away from the pavement drops.

It's extremely painful at the start so you have to get through that stage. I bought mine from sportsdirect (sorry newcastle fans!) and it only cost

Edited by lambyUK

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

No bleedin bother to you, squire!!! Were you selected like you would be for a Jury, at random, or did you apply?

I'm three weeks shy of a competition and shitting myself. Never competed before (going in the natural category). Kept it quiet coz there's nothing worse than a cunt posting progress pics and all that nonsense.

Had to lose 12kgs, have been training like a bastard but am looking like a fucking rasher at the moment. It's only when I flex I see muscles popping up and out everywhere. Gas thing, I can bench, deadlift (albeit Sumo style coz of my back) and squat more now than I could when I was bigger. Insane how the body works.

I'm fucking wall-falling with the carb starving, carb gorging,intermittent fasting nature of it all, and once it's done, I'm gonna chew rings around myself and go bulk again.

Next up is to try master the Cesaro 70kg one arm barbell snatch. I bet our Cookie can do that, the swine! It's actually thanks to Cookie that I changed up my routine and got myself into this competition shite, so thanks boss! Smiley face.

• Paid Members

I'm doing it through work to raise money for GOSH. I went to an initial meeting about it 2 weeks ago and, after lots of thinking about costs, minimum fund-raising and stamina, I signed up on Monday. Got the confirmation today saying flights are booked so there's no going back now. It's real. I've already joined the London Altitude Centre and had my first session last night. I'm not seeing any side effects from working out at 3,000ft yet so that's a good sign. I'm now booked in for twice weekly sessions for the next 6 months as well as going to my regular gym in between. I invested in a FitBit in January and have lost 6lbs in 6 weeks - not much but hopefully the decrease will be more once I'm properly training.

Well done on your preparation for the competition too. Even entering is an achievement in my book! I won't post photos or anything like that in here but I'll probably go back to updating my blog more regularly.

• Paid Members

Maybe I'll just post links to my blog so I don't spam the thread or something. And that's one of the reasons why I signed up to do it - I needed a goal to lose weight and get fit. It's too easy to slack off the gym because I feel a bit tired but I really can't do that from now on. I HAVE to make myself go because I certainly do not want to fail the climb.

Also, you do know I'm not a blokey, right? ;)

Bought myself some running shoes and have been going for some runs. Went last night and when I slowed to a halt, I had earache for a good fifteen minutes. I guess it's from the sharp temperature change.

I might start a blog - that would give me some more motivation to do this.

Could anyone recommend some decent budget running earphones?

• Paid Members

That's twice in a week I've made unintentionally made sexist assumptions. Yourself and Deathrey. Apologies for that.

I'm telling you now, there's nothing that can drive you harder to get yourself in as prime shape as you can for this, than the actual task at hand!

You should post your tale in here, seriously. You know yourself what everyone's like on here, they'll rev you up and get behind you coz fuck knows you need it for this gig.

Except for Pat. Pat may give you a potential scenario akin to Alive or The Grey.

• Paid Members

No need for apologies, don't worry. And that really made me laugh about Pat - I'm not about to eat my fellow climbers! :D

I might do the odd update or whatever. I'm hoping that me being me (overweight and lazy) will get people sponsoring me too. My trainer at the Altitude Centre is giving me additional support for free because her goals are to (a) get me to a size 16 and (b) help me to be able to run for the first time in my life [Sphinx, I admire anyone who can run without being chased by someone with a knife, well done!]. Also, I'm in a team with 14 others and if we all raise

Edited by Monkee

Except for Pat. Pat may give you a potential scenario akin to Alive or The Grey.

Nah, dude, Im all down for stuff like that. A couple of me mates have done it previously. They started on stuff like the three peaks challenge, got the fundraising, bigger, faster higher bug and did Kilimanjaro last year. One of them has stayed in Africa and is now doing teaching, with a sideline of charity projects.

Hope all goes well Sounds fantastic :thumbsup: