The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members
You do realise that sugar is a carbohydrate.

Yes, I do.

Every person is different and if you're going regularly to the gym you need a high protein diet to help to repair and build muscle.

And a good source of carbs to fuel the workouts and help the protein.

If someone is trying to lose fat then the best way is to drop a lot of those carbs, if you do that your body will start burning up fat instead taking energy from carbs.

Not 100% convinced on this, are you talking from experience or is there science behind it?

• Paid Members

If someone is trying to lose fat then the best way is to drop a lot of those carbs, if you do that your body will start burning up fat instead taking energy from carbs.

Not 100% convinced on this, are you talking from experience or is there science behind it?

There is science behind it, it is called Ketosis, if the body isn't getting enough carbs to replenish the glycogen stores in the liver then the body will eventually enter a stage called Ketosis. This is where the body will start to break down fat to replenish the glycogen. It is how very low calorie diets like Lighter Life work, although doctors are still at odds on how safe those sorts of diets are.

You do realise that sugar is a carbohydrate.

A high protein low carb diet helps kick start your metabolism. It is basically a variation of the Dukan diet that has been adapted by Mike Dolce, who is well known in the MMA community for helping fighters drop weight. Even with the deficit of calories I've never felt exhausted or tired due to a lack of food, since I'll eat about 6 times a day with. I've lost a lot of fat and gained muscle, I'm definitely leaner than when I was whe I was just watching my calorie intake, but eating bread, pasta and rice all the time.

• Paid Members

A medication I was on made me gain a stone in 3 months after Christmas. It had a bigger effect on my mental health though and I got so low about it and other things that were going on I almost had another breakdown. This combined with my MS being terrible so I couldn't go to the gym at all led me feeling pretty terrible about myself and my body. But, I put my big girl pants on and did what I could and as my as my MS let me to get to where I am right now. I'm still quite upset at the muscle I lost from being sick but I have to keep telling myself it was out of my control and it will come back.

Time for some progress pics I think? (warning, pretty revealing, but we're all friends here right?)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7080/1395094..._74cd1caffd.jpg

Edited by Astro Hollywood
nws

• Paid Members

I've lost another lb so that's 15 since January and 29lbs in total! I'm really pleased because (for once) I can actually SEE a difference and people are noticing which is a great feeling.

I'm also in full-on fundraising mode for Kilimanjaro and have been writing to a lot of different people asking if they'd donate something to a raffle/auction. I've had a few responses but the best one was closer to home... My CEO actually knows David Beckham. I've no idea how but I asked him if there was any chance of getting something to auction. Today I got that 'something' - a signed England football shirt in a frame. I'm totally blown away.

I did a blog post so I could write about it and post a photo - Walk this way, talk this way

• Paid Members
Just seen Kook's post. I'm calling bullshit on those before and after pics.. That's the same before pics you posted from the time when you initially lost your weight before!

Yeah...why, what before pic did you guys want lol?

Also I thought that was the point of before and after pics :/ I'll find the one I posted beginning of last year.

Another edit: I tore my bicep yesterday :( It hurts but not as much as I thought it would. When I touch where it's actually torn though JESUS :( It was weird, suddenly yesterday afternoon a small but super dark bruise came up. I thought that's odd, then in the space of about an hour my whole arm was red and swollen. Now back to just a big old dark bruise :/

Edited by Kookoocachu