The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

You can totally go four days a week depending on what you're doing.. if you're doing very targeted workouts with a cardio day thrown in the middle, for example..

Absolutley, but the way it was implied suggests 4 days straight of weights, which is never good.

I was thinking Monday and Tuesday, break, Thursday, break, Saturday, break.

I was doing 12 on a light weight, 8-10 on a heavier weight, 6-8 on a heavier weight than the last. I should really research what I'm doing. Your advice will certainly help. I like having someone to go with as I have no idea how the machines work.

I know quite a few people (myself included) that dont really like the pyramid way, especially for beginners. After your warm up sets, I personally wouldnt fanny about with gradually upping the weight. All youre looking to do at this point is gain size, so just pick a weight from the start that youre failing at after 6-8 reps (reps with good form, and not being helped by your friend, which I assume is what happened last time you benched).

• Paid Members
Fructose is processed by the liver and if you're taking in too much fructose the liver will make the excess into fats and send it off into the bloodstream.

Fructose content in fruits and vegetables isn't a dangerous amount, but if you were eating huge amounts of fruit for every meal every day you'll have a problem.

It's practically impossible to eat the sheer amount of fruit you'd require to overeat fructose.

It's also worth bearing in mind that fruit takes a while to digest, meaning the fructose hits the liver slowly which allows the body to deal with the fructose.

In short, fruit is good for you.

That's what I was saying :/ When I say huge amounts of fruits I'm talking a larger amount than your stomach could hold.

• Paid Members

I actually do six days straight of weights.

I'm on this Power Hyper Deload thing (it's a combo of PHAT and 5/3/1 training) at the moment which is Monday through Saturday. Minimal rest between sets for fat burning purposes and it's going well.

It all depends on the person. Between the Ape test booster or the Onnit T+ (I'm doing a cycle of Onnit, break for two weeks, an 8 week cycle of Ape and break for a month, rinse and repeat) it seems to keep me going and my recovery decent. Some days I'm fucking sore, especially after a heavy pull day, but it's manageable (touch wood) so far.

I'm nigh on 35, so I reckon there's only so long I can keep this gig going, I'm aware of that, so my next stop in a few weeks is a 3 day full body routine with an additional days moderate training for any lacking areas, for a few months. After that, I'll go back to the PHD routine and see how my body holds up.

Old Man Branquey

You can totally go four days a week depending on what you're doing.. if you're doing very targeted workouts with a cardio day thrown in the middle, for example..

Absolutley, but the way it was implied suggests 4 days straight of weights, which is never good.

Monday was back day, Tuesday was chest day, Wednesday was shoulders, I'm guessing legs/arms/abs have got to fit in there somewhere too. He might go more than four days. I know he does at least four days.

Part of my problem is that my arms are carrying the load. I could have done shoulders yesterday, but I'd have reached failure very quickly as I feel like my arms have taken the most toll for the other workouts.

Monday was back day, Tuesday was chest day, Wednesday was shoulders, I'm guessing legs/arms/abs have got to fit in there somewhere too. He might go more than four days. I know he does at least four days.

Part of my problem is that my arms are carrying the load. I could have done shoulders yesterday, but I'd have reached failure very quickly as I feel like my arms have taken the most toll for the other workouts.

If you're an absolute beginner then I would highly recommend sacking off the bodybuilding style bollocks. Buy/download a copy of a book called Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, read it, digest it and follow it. Ideally find someone who knows what they're doing to help you with technique/positioning otherwise there is an absolute ton of resources on youtube. If you don't have a basic foundation of the squat, deadlift and bench/overhead press you're not going to get anywhere and no amount of flyes/curls/leg extensions or whatever is going to change that.

I'm absolutely buzzing about my own training at the minute. The gym I go to recently moved and went from being a very good facility to what I suspect is one of the best strength and conditioning gyms in the country. This has really inspired me to kick on and I'm hitting PB's all over the shop, this week I squatted 195kg for 6 which should mean I'll hit at least 227kg next time I max out and get to join the 500(lb) club. Next goals are a 110kg snatch and a 140kg clean and jerk. I've even dropped about 5kg in weight over the last couple of weeks.

• Paid Members

I'm not much of an expert, but I bought one of these Breville Personal Blender things. I love it so much I thought it might be worth sharing for anyone who likes Smoothies, Shakes and Juices. It does the business for a small machine, but the great thing about it is you blend your drink in the bottle you'll be consuming it from. It's the easiest cleaning blender I've ever had.

Breville-blend-active-213x213.jpg

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I am, sir, and the strongest supp I've ever taken was probably the Jack3d or this Ape/Onnit T+ stuff, but after talking to a few lads in the gym they sold me on Superdrol or Epistane based on it's legalities etc. They are in serious savage nick and I'm that little step behind them, and it's just soul destroying to see me lift heavier and harder, with less rest than these lads, and I just can't quite get that absolute Spartan-esque physique they have.

So it'll be my first time taking anything 'untoward', for want of a term.

Bit nervous to be honest...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a novice, but I was always under the impression that rest is vital for building muscle and gaining weight. Alarm bells rang when you said you rest less, as though that would mean you will build more muscle because of it.