The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Well, it's almost 3 weeks until I go to Kilimanjaro. Can't believe it's come around so quickly. I've got most of my kit ready and had my Yellow Fever vaccination this morning. I'm excited and nervous at the same time but, after all the training I've done at the Altitude Centre, I'm quietly confident that I can do this.

For the past 2 weeks, in addition to me working out on a treadmill in the oxygen chamber, I've also been on the IHE (intermittent hypoxy exposure) pod as well where you put an oxygen mask on for 5 minutes which simulates low-levels at altitude and then breathe normal (while still inside the chamber) for 5 minutes. I'm still not seeing much change which is a good sign that I'll be able to handle the altitude.

I'm also feeling a lot more fitter as well. I don't get out of breath as much when I'm climbing stairs or up steep hills and I'm also sleeping and eating better. I've been stuck at the same weight for a while but that's not my main focus at the moment anyway. I'm even doing the 5K Color Run at the Olympic Park in 2 weeks. So yeah, that's my update right now.

The body reacts to a change in altitude very quickly, so whilst I see the point in oxygen chambers, many people use them in the wrong way. A lot of fighters train up in Big Bear because of the altitude, yet they then spend fight week at sea level and whatever benefits they built up in their training camp will have long disappeared by the time they step into the ring/cage. I remember reading about a Sherpa who spent his entire life living at altitude, went away for a week or two and then when he got back to his home, he soon died of altitude sickness because his body had adapted so quickly to life at sea level that his immunity to altitude was taken away. Like many things related to fitness/training, oxygen chambers have a basis truth in them but they have to be used in the right manner otherwise they serve no purpose. 

• Moderators

My understanding of Monkee's post was that it was more from the point of view of getting used to the feeling of breathing and exerting at altitude so that it wasn't a surprise when she was doing her climb, as opposed to actually "pre-adjusting" herself to altitude before she gets there.

It makes sense to me from that POV, anyway..

• Paid Members

I'm using the chamber for a couple of reasons... Obviously, I wanted to see whether low oxygen levels affected me before agreeing to climb Kili. If I'd had adverse reactions from being at 3,000m then there was no point in me signing up as Kili is just under 6,000m.

Exercising at altitude can be more effective because it works your muscles more. As part of a regular exercise regime it can really help to increase fitness levels quicker. Elite athletes like Mo Farah train in the same place as I do as well as a couple of different rugby teams and Terry Crews was there a couple of months ago too.

As you tend to work harder in these conditions then, for me as someone who isn't as fit as the other lithe beauties who frequent gyms more often, I think it's got me fitter faster than going to a regular gym. So it's also been good for my weight loss.

The intermittent hypoxy exposure gives you a taster of what it's like at the lower levels. It's like when you run for a minute, walk for a minute - doesn't mean you're ready to run a marathon if you do that for an hour a few times a week but it gets you fitter to be able to do that.

I don't really understand what you're getting at with your post though, Smokin. You can say the same about all exercise regimes (they only work if you do if right and don't work for everyone) so what's your point?

Edited by Monkee

Righty, been saying I'd do one of these, or at least have a go at one of these for long enough. So what's best for No Ego/Tough Mudder/Spartanesque stuff in terms of training timetable and preparation for events and the such like.

Me pa did some army assault courses style things when I was much younger and said one day I'd understand the need to do it. Following a comprehensively shitty time the last few weeks. I totally understand the need, I just have no idea how to go about it.

I'm assuming will be looking at endurance and stamina rather than being about strength and speed, so Cardio Work would be a must, what else?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Right lads, just wondering has anyone had any experience with prednisone/deltacotril?
Start from the beginning here. Was coughing blood a couple years back, reckoned I had bronchieactasis (scarring of the lungs) which is a form of COPD. Naturally I was devastated as this is a precursor to a lot of progressively serious ailments.

I started taking Serrapeptase and some Ayurvedic medicine (which truly, truly was a miracle for my lungs/breathing) and the symptoms seemed to regress.

I’ve had to wait for a CT Scan for ages and was finally called in a couple weeks back. Got injected with that dye that makes you think you’ve piddled your undercrackers and spent the next week shitting myself about how the ‘Acktasis had spread etc.

Results were crystal clear, no COPD or anything like it, so I was in shock about that. (I genuinely think that Serrepeptase helped and is the most wonderful alternative on the market, but I digress)

Then I broke out in this rash on my face that looks like I either have leprosy or the Tom Hanks Philadelphia. Me, being an admittedly vain cunt, threw the kitchen sink at it (Moogoo, E45, Silcocks base, the missus’ haemorrhoid cream from when she was preggers – serrepeptase didn’t help here) but finally relented and went to the docs on Monday.

I was told I most likely too a “common” reaction to the dye and now it’s gone fungal and I have to put Daktacort on my face and take prednisone (20mg for five days, 15mg for five days, 10mg for five days and 5mg for five days).

Prednisone is a horrible, horrible drug. And being into the old training, it’s even worse as it’s completely catabolic and just eats away at muscle and replaces it with fat and moon face. I have to go with it until this bastard clears.

Bottom line, I have a wedding next week where I’m best man. Has anyone drank on the Pred, and if so, did it affect yiz or has anyone altered their dosage and rushed the taper (say three days instead of five)?

Or, OR, can anyone recommend a good cream for fungal infections that isn't corticosteroid based?

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so now at 13st 6 ish and putting a real effort in.

2q0nlky.jpg

Signed up for Total Warrior for August 2015 it's 10k with about 50 obstacles. I will be going for stamina and completing it rather than for anything else. That in itself is huge

I figured training would be like this, but am after some advice

In short, build up cardio fitness over next 3 months by swimming. Had 2 sessions so far (200m and 150m) Yes, it's not alot, however last time I was in a pool of any sort I was learning to walk properly again after all the back crap.

Plan is 3x swimming a week (poss 4) building up to do 50m, with no breaks, then 100, then 200 etc for 3 months (around end of Feb)

Feb start running,  using sprint, walk sprint then to a mile and whilst integrating that swimming etc

May time work on upper body strength whilst increasing the above.

Is that daft? workable? too measured?

The idea was little and often as dont want to wreck my back whilst getting up to speed.. I know it's not going to be hard and will require discipline. I'm all for that or wouldnt have signed up for the event. 

Any help or advice would be excellent  Cheers

• Paid Members

Righty, been saying I'd do one of these, or at least have a go at one of these for long enough. So what's best for No Ego/Tough Mudder/Spartanesque stuff in terms of training timetable and preparation for events and the such like.

Me pa did some army assault courses style things when I was much younger and said one day I'd understand the need to do it. Following a comprehensively shitty time the last few weeks. I totally understand the need, I just have no idea how to go about it.

I'm assuming will be looking at endurance and stamina rather than being about strength and speed, so Cardio Work would be a must, what else?

Don't underestimate strength, there are obstacles after all. If you can't lift your own body weight, you're going to get into trouble.

Would like to do one of these, but haven't really got the time to fit the training in. One day maybe.

Yeah, a lot of these challenges will have climbing walls and swinging bars as obstacles, so you will need to have a good level of strength. Explosive power would proably be the best way to put it. You will need to work on, push ups, pull ups, dips. Do some high intesity training going up and down stairs, add in weights when you get faster. Swimming is good for your joints and if you have some free weights you can use them for punching in the water. The water resistance will make it harder to punch but its easier on your muscles and will increase your power.