The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

I did my first ever run today. I've never run before but started jogging on a treadmill about a month ago and then my gym asked if I wanted to take part in the City of London Mile. I haven't done much training given I've been on holidays for about 3 weeks but I still did it. Couldn't run the whole mile and had to walk a bit and I really thought I was going to be sick for the last 200m but I kept it in and finished! Here's my medal:

14297997407_4461ce1409.jpg

Also, had a check-up at the hospital on Thursday as it's 2 years since my surgery. Everything's good (except for being sick quite a bit after food but that's another story) and I've lost 13lbs since my last appointment in March. Actually did a bit of a dance when I heard that! :)

• Paid Members
I did my first ever run today. I've never run before but started jogging on a treadmill about a month ago and then my gym asked if I wanted to take part in the City of London Mile. I haven't done much training given I've been on holidays for about 3 weeks but I still did it. Couldn't run the whole mile and had to walk a bit and I really thought I was going to be sick for the last 200m but I kept it in and finished! Here's my medal:

14297997407_4461ce1409.jpg

Also, had a check-up at the hospital on Thursday as it's 2 years since my surgery. Everything's good (except for being sick quite a bit after food but that's another story) and I've lost 13lbs since my last appointment in March. Actually did a bit of a dance when I heard that! :)

Congratulations! That's great news :)

Can anyone offer any thoughts or opinions on the Protein World brand of products? My wife wants to try it out based on what she's read online, but it just looks like your standard supplements and whey protein shakes but with added extra cost. Are they any different? Does it work? Is it worth spending the extra?

Yeah, to me it just looked like a protein shake with better marketing, less jargon and more cost. I doubt it's anything special but wanted someone with more knowledge to confirm it too.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to put my life back in order and my weight / health is a big part of that , basically I'm after some advice , ie good diets to follow , work out routines , supplements / vitamins , is pre workout a good idea etc , any and all help would be greatly appreciated

• Paid Members

My main issue is the diet, I crave savoury foods such as peanuts/crisps - snacky things.Is there any way - or does anyone have a healthy alternative for this sort of craving.I cycle to work 3 times a week and hit the gym the other two days in between, so I'm exercising quite regularly, but the diet lets me down a hell of a lot.Any sensible tips would be appreciated.

Swapping peanuts for almonds or walnuts or something similar would be a good start. Plenty of nutritional value there without the horrific amount of salt.Take carrot sticks to work with you too. They're not as nice as crisps, admittedly, but you'll find that the bulk of cravings can be substituted quite easily when you get into a routine of eating something else. Dip them in some peanut butter too for a bit more flavour.

• Moderators
Swapping peanuts for almonds or walnuts or something similar would be a good start. Plenty of nutritional value there without the horrific amount of salt.
Only if you're not getting roasted salted almonds/walnuts really.

• Paid Members

My Kilimanjaro kit bag arrived today from the travel company. It's only 10 weeks away and I'm crapping myself. Been a bit shit with training over the last couple of weeks but I'm back on it. I've lost 22lbs this year (36lbs in total) so I'm determined to lose more before I go.

Can anyone offer any thoughts or opinions on the Protein World brand of products? My wife wants to try it out based on what she's read online, but it just looks like your standard supplements and whey protein shakes but with added extra cost. Are they any different? Does it work? Is it worth spending the extra?

Most brands will have over 20g of protein per 30g scoop and as long as it's not under that, you'll be fine. I'd avoid things like CNP Pro Mass, and other similar variants from nutritional companies, and just stick to the basic whey protein. As long as it has over 20g per scoop, the only thing that really matters is the taste. My personal favourite brand for taste is CNP but I imagine most other top brands taste fine. Cheap ones will cost a few quid less but they're often undrinkable, so it's worth that extra minimal cost I think.

• Paid Members

I thought I would add this here. Bread has always been my vice basically, and regularly I would have 4/5 slices of bread say if I was having a simple lunch of Baked Beans on toast.

However, last week I decided to eliminate bread from my lunches and replaced it with a variation of a salad. Say first couple of days I would have Lettuce, sweetcorn, beetroot, celery, carrott and peppers whilst adding say some tuna (mixed with lighter mayo) for protein. Then later in the week replace the tuna with mixed beans etc.

I lost 4.5llbs in one week and that's simply eating less bread. I didn't even make it to the gym last week either, so just football once.

• Paid Members

Yeah bread tastes nice but it's really just stodge with no health benefits whatsoever.

I've never been a big bread eater myself but my brother used to practically live on the stuff. He'd make a sandwich out of anything. Whatever he had for dinner, he'd put it between slices of bread. Whatever it was. When he had Sunday dinner he'd eat a big fuck off plate of meat, potatoes, veg etc then mop the gravy up with bread. He was always like that. But he joined a gym a few months back and the guy there was telling him how shit for him bread was and advised him to cut down on it. I'm surprised how well he's stuck to it. He's pretty much cut it out completely as far as I know and he's dropped a fair bit of weight. It's noticeable. He wasn't massive before but I've noticed he's definitely thinner in the face and less of a gut. And it's not like he's a gym freak either. He goes now and then. He must have lost about a stone the last six months just cutting out bread, fizzy drinks (his other addiction) and starting walking his dog regularly.

• Paid Members

Your brother sounds just like me except I'm more active with sports. Like him I would have bread with almost anything, and bizarrely I used to mop Gravy up with a good chunk of buttery bread. God I miss it haha.

I genuinely feel a hell of a lot less bloated.

• Paid Members

I've been going to the gym for an hour every other night and doing a roughly 1.5-2 mile walk along the beach on the nights I'm not going to the gym. Apparently it shows but I've not lost weight for quite a while. Quite annoying as I'm still in triple figures when it comes to my weight in kilos.