The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

I doubled the jog I did on Monday tonight and though my legs feel okay, my lungs started to get a bit ropey as I was walking home. It's still absolutely sod all in the scheme of things, but its better than doing nothing. According to Google maps and my ruler it was roughly 1.5 miles. Laughable, I know, but we've got to start somewhere eh.

There's no correlation between building muscle in an area and fat burning in the same place.

I once read it's a bit of a

Cycled in the dark and took on a hill in Stirling that takes you up to the castle that I have feared. Didn't stand up or stop the whole way up and I am not bottom of the table in Strava.sailed through today riding on the confidence it brought me.

• Moderators

Bacon and eggs isn't that bad really. At the end of the day it's all calories and then the breakdown of what makes up those calories. Eggs are pretty good, assuming not fried in a load of grease. Bacon isn't great due to the fat content, but it's protein at least. A worse choice would've to have something like toast.

Post-workout I like to just ingest protein really. Be that a shake maybe right after and then when I get home some chicken/fish with some vegetables. I normally work out at night so it essentially makes up my dinner.

Dreading this year health and fitness wise.

Pregnant with baby number two and my first pregnancy was 7 months of chronic morning sickness and PGP that left me properly sick (and in hospital a couple times). I put on about 30 kilos during the pregnancy and have never really lost all of it.

Baby number 2 is due the first week of July - Australian summer hits 5 months later and i'll still be the size of a beached whale. Hopefully the outdoorsy life and ridiculously expensive groceries will mean no binge eating and as we'll be living in deepest darkest suburbia theres not much more to do than go out for walks etc. I have a sister in law who runs marathons a couple times a year and shes really keen for me to join her on workouts and go trekking with her - cant think of anything worse :-S

Taking my insanity workouts with me though - once im over the worst of the recovery i might start introducing a couple workouts a week to get try to get my "shape" back.

Can you guys gimmie some ideas for post-workout foods? Like, yesterday I was starving when I finished and ended up eating bacon and eggs which kinda undid any good work I'd done at the gym...

It does depend when you're working out, you're body wants protein as well as some salt and sugar to replaced lost salt and bit of an energy boost. If you want something snacky between meals go for a little pack of Fridge raiders or the Bernard Matthews turkey breast chunks. If you've a bit of a sweet tooth then a small amount of mixed nuts with dried fruit is good. You're still best off getting yourself a protein shake, though I have been known to go to KFC and get a 4 piece box and finish that off. Which is only bad because of how fatty it is, grilled chicken breast is the best option. I normally spray my George Foreman with low cal spray and slap some chicken on that to cook it with some steamed veg for a quick and easy meal.

Looking for a bit of friendly advice here guys and seems a decent amount of people who clued up.

I'm just off the back of three months in a cast after rupturing my achilles playing football. I've been back at work since the second week in December and between going to physio and gradually building the tendon back up i've been given the all clear to start exercising again. I was well over weight before this happend and, naturally, twelve weeks in a cast hasn't helped this. I did make an active effort to eat super healthy when it occured with this in mind and lost weight initially but then boredom, etc set in from being housebound and i ended up slipping back into old habbits.

Anyways getting back on track i want to get fitter and lose weight, not fussed about toning or that at the moment just need to get the beef off. I have a treadmill in my man cave and have started doing a daily program 20 minute program broken into: 5 minutes brisk walking to start with leading into 10 minutes of interval training in the form of jogging for 30 seconds resting for 30 seconds and then a final 5 minutes walking to wind down.

From reading a lot of folks comments in here that would barely event represent a warmup for some people but it seems to do the trick in terms of getting the heart going and i am knackered by the end of it. It was passed on to me by my brother in-law who in turn was given it by the sports scientist from an professional football club and he has managed to knock off about 3 stone from this time last year by doing the programme four nights a week (combined with small lifestyle changes in dietary terms but he still drinks lager like water so it's not as if he's been living like a monk) and he says over time as you get fitter you can change the walking to jogging and, likewise, the jogging intervals to sprints if you feel up to it.

Any thoughts on this? My weekly double take of badminton and 5-a-sides is going to be KO'd till probably April at the earliest due to the achilles so i'm determined to try and keep something in line as a direct replacement as well as obviously changing my diet.

EDIT: I meant to say i've downloaded Insanity, P90X and the YRG Yoga DVD's as well. I'm not naive enough to think i can just hop into them right away - maybe the yoga one mind you - but is there any specific individual routines i could incorporate from each of them to start off ?

Welcome to any other suggestions :thumbsup:

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

Looking for a bit of friendly advice here guys and seems a decent amount of people who clued up.

I'm just off the back of three months in a cast after rupturing my achilles playing football. I've been back at work since the second week in December and between going to physio and gradually building the tendon back up i've been given the all clear to start exercising again. I was well over weight before this happend and, naturally, twelve weeks in a cast hasn't helped this. I did make an active effort to eat super healthy when it occured with this in mind and lost weight initially but then boredom, etc set in from being housebound and i ended up slipping back into old habbits.

Anyways getting back on track i want to get fitter and lose weight, not fussed about toning or that at the moment just need to get the beef off. I have a treadmill in my man cave and have started doing a daily program 20 minute program broken into: 5 minutes brisk walking to start with leading into 10 minutes of interval training in the form of jogging for 30 seconds resting for 30 seconds and then a final 5 minutes walking to wind down.

From reading a lot of folks comments in here that would barely event represent a warmup for some people but it seems to do the trick in terms of getting the heart going and i am knackered by the end of it. It was passed on to me by my brother in-law who in turn was given it by the sports scientist from an professional football club and he has managed to knock off about 3 stone from this time last year by doing the programme four nights a week (combined with small lifestyle changes in dietary terms but he still drinks lager like water so it's not as if he's been living like a monk) and he says over time as you get fitter you can change the walking to jogging and, likewise, the jogging intervals to sprints if you feel up to it.

Any thoughts on this? My weekly double take of badminton and 5-a-sides is going to be KO'd till probably April at the earliest due to the achilles so i'm determined to try and keep something in line as a direct replacement as well as obviously changing my diet.

EDIT: I meant to say i've downloaded Insanity, P90X and the YRG Yoga DVD's as well. I'm not naive enough to think i can just hop into them right away - maybe the yoga one mind you - but is there any specific individual routines i could incorporate from each of them to start off ?

Welcome to any other suggestions :thumbsup:

Cycle. There's loads of cycle paths that take you from Alloa to Dunfermline, or even just around the wee county. Good to get outdoors, and easier on your muscles than running etc

Well, after a very heavy day yesterday, consuming probably around 20 beers over the course of the day and night (I went on an away trip to a football game) and smoking a 10 deck of fags, I felt quite tired and hungover today. Still, I forced myself out on my jog and managed to get the furthest I've gotten yet, and that was in the pissing down rain and with an injured leg. I'm going to my first ever football training on Wednesday and have offered to team up with a current player who is struggling for fitness for more jogs later in the week. I also borrowed a cycle and went on my first bike ride since I was a teenager on Saturday, and kept up the jogging over the rest of the weekend. Sporadic bits of weight bar work is occurring regularly in the house, as well as other simple exercises that can be done with no equipment.

I know I've only been on this regime for 7 days, but I actually think I might achieve this resolution this time. Feeling positive about it right now. Good.