Smackdown Discussion Thread

I hate smackdown, and it angers me to even read the results each week. 

Firstly, Orton win's Royal Rumble, forefits his opportunity at Wrestlemania, then decides a few weeks later that he WILL compete, but has to earn it, does so, and so on.... Wow, boring booking 101, just a shit swerve altogether.

Secondly, first ever Women's MITB match. Big thing, just like Hell In A Cell, it'll be known for years as a revolutionary match, and ends up with a bloke winning it, to the most anticlimatic match i've seen in years. All that build up for that.... Only to have a fucking rematch the week later. What's the point in dragging these matches out week after week. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
18 minutes ago, big7thletter said:

I hate smackdown, and it angers me to even read the results each week. 

Firstly, Orton win's Royal Rumble, forefits his opportunity at Wrestlemania, then decides a few weeks later that he WILL compete, but has to earn it, does so, and so on.... Wow, boring booking 101, just a shit swerve altogether.

Secondly, first ever Women's MITB match. Big thing, just like Hell In A Cell, it'll be known for years as a revolutionary match, and ends up with a bloke winning it, to the most anticlimatic match i've seen in years. All that build up for that.... Only to have a fucking rematch the week later. What's the point in dragging these matches out week after week. 

Because otherwise we'll just get 2 hours of Dolph Ziggler VS The Miz or whoever every week until the end of time. I have no problem with them dragging things like this (well the MITB thing anyway) out, makes next week's episode more of a must-see, where hopefully they can improve on the disappointing first-ever match.

I agree with the first post.

What incentive do I have to purchase the PPV or the Network for MITB next year if there's a possibility I will get to see it two weeks later?

What incentive do I have to purchase the Royal Rumble if the WrestleMania challenger is decided on SmackDown?

Here's a question: Was this always the plan or do you think the social media backlash at the Elsworth stuff has caught them off guard?

Personally I'd say it's always been the plan, but it's interesting to consider how aware WWE are of their media presence nowadays.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, FUM said:

I agree with the first post.

What incentive do I have to purchase the PPV or the Network for MITB next year if there's a possibility I will get to see it two weeks later?

What incentive do I have to purchase the Royal Rumble if the WrestleMania challenger is decided on SmackDown?

But at the time, you didn't know either would happen did you?

4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

But at the time, you didn't know either would happen did you?

To be fair, you're right, but now after TWO incidents of shitty swerves, i don't think i'd watch another Smackdown PPV just because i know somewhere down the line it'll just have a repeat match (not a rematch, there's a difference) the following week. Just tasteless, effortless writing to keep people "tuning in". Who's gonna wanna watch the MITB rematch? Not me, i'll just read it online. It's so pointless. And i'm not usually a hater, but it just really grinds my gears.

• Paid Members

I think the term 'tasteless' is a bit strong! But I get what you (and Daaaaaaaaad) are saying. I'm the opposite at the moment though regarding this MITB match- I'm more inclined to tune into Smackdown now just to watch it, whereas otherwise I'd probably have ended up deleting it from my Sky planner a couple of days later after reading the results first and being unimpressed.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

No, but it might make me think twice about bothering next time since they're making a habit of it.

When wrestling was at its hottest and people were handing money over faster than they could earn it, what happened on PPV didn't matter a jot 24 hours later. It's not new. Did anyone cry in 1999 that the Rumble winner didn't matter? Not so I ever noticed. the ongoing story was too good.

These days, i think it matters less than ever. We're paying £9.99 a month for PPV and that's even if there is only one and if that's all you're paying for. It's an extension of the TV show. Some of what happens on PPV is must see. Some isn't. Some stuff really matters. Some stuff doesn't. It's priced very much accordingly.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Wrasslin said:

Here's a question: Was this always the plan or do you think the social media backlash at the Elsworth stuff has caught them off guard?

Personally I'd say it's always been the plan, but it's interesting to consider how aware WWE are of their media presence nowadays.

It was something that crossed my mind, but it seems more like WWE knowing that their viewership is heavily in decline at the moment, so by from the moment it happened having the authority say they'd sort it out that Tuesday getting people to tune in, then the following week having a women's MITB match to keep viewers hooked and Cena back the week after, just seems like a ploy to get a 3 week higher ratings ratio.

Anyone know the viewership for this week?

• Paid Members

I only caught the edited version of Smackdown this week but the Nakamura/Ziggler match looked like it was pretty tasty. 

The beatdown from Orton at the end of the show was done well I thought, and I'm strangely looking forward to seeing what happens in their third match, for the sake of curiosity. I imagine the plan is for Jinder to go on a long run, but it's also the kind of thing they could pull the plug on at any second. I could see them hoping that Jinder gets over enough in order to drag his reign out until Mania and drop it to Cena then, but that could be tough going. 

Tamina really is up there as one of the worst of all time. They could have sacked her off and given her money to Eva Marie to stay.

I'm surprised Lana wasn't added into this MITB rematch. I still think it might happen at the beginning of tonights show.

Archived