Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Awards Moderator

Enjoyed that. Usos are dynamite at the mo. Great to see Cena back as well as Rusev; I'd just rather not see them at the same time. The USA shtick was expected given the date but Christ, the 'bulge area' gag went down as badly as it deserved to.

I could listen to Kevin Owens read me the menu from the local chippy and be entertained.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they do a short piece between American Alpha where they agree an amicable split, it leaves the door open for them to put them back together in the future with no beef between eachother and you avoid them randomly being put back together like nothing happened like what happened with The Prime Time Players. It would have been a bit copy & paste to have had two tag team breakup angles within a couple of weeks of eachother, so rather than go with the Strike Force method, the RybAxel route is better suited in this scenario.

Give them both six months of singles and see what happens, worst comes to worst you put them back together. I've only ever known Jason Jordan to be a tag team wrestler, so the extra ring time will give him more experience and a new dynamic to his matches. I expect though that Gable will shine as a singles guy so long as he doesn't suffer from 50/50 booking. I'm not saying he'll be a main eventer any time soon, but he can become a solid midcarder beforehand. Having him be an all-American babyface with the US Title would be cheesy as hell, but if he played it a bit goofy like early Kurt Angle it could be quite fun

• Paid Members

Absolutely. I'm not normally one to complain of talent being misused, because you never know what factors play into how a wrestler is or isn't pushed, and everybody has a part to play regardless of where on the card they are, but Luke Harper has to be the most criminally underutilised guy they have. A talented, versatile big man who can talk, and work heel or face equally well, and they've consistently failed to capitalise on him. Especially after a star-making performance with Randy Orton before 'Mania, where Orton went out of his way to make him look like a big deal.

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

If they do a short piece between American Alpha where they agree an amicable split, it leaves the door open for them to put them back together in the future with no beef between eachother and you avoid them randomly being put back together like nothing happened like what happened with The Prime Time Players. It would have been a bit copy & paste to have had two tag team breakup angles within a couple of weeks of eachother, so rather than go with the Strike Force method, the RybAxel route is better suited in this scenario.

Give them both six months of singles and see what happens, worst comes to worst you put them back together. I've only ever known Jason Jordan to be a tag team wrestler, so the extra ring time will give him more experience and a new dynamic to his matches. I expect though that Gable will shine as a singles guy so long as he doesn't suffer from 50/50 booking. I'm not saying he'll be a main eventer any time soon, but he can become a solid midcarder beforehand. Having him be an all-American babyface with the US Title would be cheesy as hell, but if he played it a bit goofy like early Kurt Angle it could be quite fun

While I agree with what you're saying, PTP weren't just randomly thrown back together like nothing happened. After their shite feud, Titus did the Slator Gator thing, then a few months later Titus saved Darren Young and some jobber from a post match beatdown from The Ascension. They reformed a week later and gave Ascension their first TV loss on the main roster. After that they went into the tag title scene.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Surprising title change from last nights house show at MSG

Reveal hidden contents

That was a bit out of the Blue wasn't it? Has it come out that Owens has picked up an injury or failed a Wellness test or anything? 

Either way, I'm surprised it wasn't at least done on Smackdown...

Title changes at MSG house shows used to be a semi-regular occurrence didn't it? That's probably the thought behind it

They've done this kind of thing in the past to try and bolster future house show attendances and promote going to live events with "anything can happen" situations occurring. I expect they want to blow off the AJ/ Owens feud after battleground so this adds an extra element to the feud without adding another TV match into it, although that hasn't bothered them for years has it. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, simonworden said:

They've done this kind of thing in the past to try and bolster future house show attendances and promote going to live events with "anything can happen" situations occurring. I expect they want to blow off the AJ/ Owens feud after battleground so this adds an extra element to the feud without adding another TV match into it, although that hasn't bothered them for years has it. 

Suppose your right. In fact, didn't we get a title change over here not so long ago?

Archived