Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Really enjoyed Smackdown.

Nakamura v Cena was a nice little taster for what these two could do in a proper PPV match with a decent build. As a TV match with little build, it was very good, but I could have done without JBL shouting "it's a dream match" at every opportunity - we know Vince.

Never did I expect to see a Twin Peaks parody in WWE. Fashion Peaks was a good laugh.

Jesus, Cena is a bit good isn't he? Has any other top top guy managed to put so many people over after this many years without losing a shred of credibility/looking past it? Bryan, Lesnar, Owens, del Rio, styles, Nakamura, Wyatt, that's just off the top of my head.

Nakamura is something special and hopefully they don't go down the painfully obvious route at summerslam, maybe Cena is gonna run blocker for Corbin.

• Paid Members

Apparently there was a post-match angle on the network with Cena putting Corbin through a table, so maybe that's where they are going for Cena at Summerslam? I can't see him losing to Corbin if I'm honest.

This Styles/Owens feud is shite, they don't have good chemistry at all and the finish on this show was laughable, so contrived and forced it took me right out of the match. That punch missed Mike Chioda by at least 12 inches. Fucking mess of a feud.

Cena/Naka was a decent TV match, I did feel somewhat cheated though, give it the big build then give me 12 minutes of action, here is an idea, cut out the Sami/English/Bennett bollocks and give the main event featuring 2 of the 3 biggest stars on the brand another 5 minutes. It felt rushed, going from chain Wrestling to AA kick outs in the blink of an eye. Would anyone have moaned had the Bennett/Zayn thing not been on, would they fuck. Good match though, Naka looked motivated and up for it.

Rusev/Gable was about as good as it gets for a short TV style match, bloody hell Gable is good. I'd fucking bemoan the fact it looks like Orton next for Rusev, but I'm just happy we are moving on from Cena/Rusev so I will take anything.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Cena/Naka was a decent TV match, I did feel somewhat cheated though, give it the big build then give me 12 minutes of action, here is an idea, cut out the Sami/English/Bennett bollocks and give the main event featuring 2 of the 3 biggest stars on the brand another 5 minutes. It felt rushed, going from chain Wrestling to AA kick outs in the blink of an eye. Would anyone have moaned had the Bennett/Zayn thing not been on, would they fuck. Good match though, Naka looked motivated and up for it.

They've left people wanting to see more. All to rare these days. Absolutely perfect outcome.

• Paid Members

@poetofthedeed The Rock and Foley come to mind. Angle too, although not a star on the level as the other three. The Rock even let Statham kickout of a Rock Bottom and he's still the biggest thing going.

@tiger_rick Spot on. They didn't go mental with the near falls and made Nakamura look super strong, which was surely the goal. They've now got a bit of a story to lead into a bigger match on a PPV. The story should always be put ahead of doing a HBK/Taker kickoutfest, particularly on the telly, and it did that perfectly.

• Paid Members

Another good Smackdown. Gable vs Rusev was a great little match. Poor Rusev is gonna to face Orton at Summerslam. With Orton having a shit year, I can't see it being great and I can see him winning after losing the past few ppvs. 

Cena vs Nakamura was good for the time t was giving. Nasty landing for Cena on his neck. Could see him trying to see if his hands and fingers had movement. With the Corbin angle afterwards, is the predictable Corbin losing at Summerslam to Cena then cashing on new champ Nakamura later on the way it's gonna go down?

8 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Overall, still preferring SmackDown for a weekly show, less time, more focus on storylines and they aren't over using talent (No Corbin or New Day this week but likelyhood of both next week).

Yeah, I think this is key. I think where Smackdown has struggled in recent months is in having too many guys involved all the time. Yes, you have a great roster and your gut instinct is going to be to put all of them on every show, but then you just end up with a mess of constant Teddy Long tag team matches or clusterfuck four-ways that take all the potency out of the storytelling. This was a good week for focusing on stories and characters, while delivering a few good matches too.

• Paid Members

I'm heartened that they've seemingly pulled the trigger on Nakamura. It's just a shame that Smackdown is now structured to mean he'll now go on to have average matches with Jinder Mahal, where he'll probably win in screwy DQ finishes. This is not the title chase he needs to get back on track.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm finding it hard to get optimistic about Nakamura's chances - on paper, a title shot at Summerslam and a win over John Cena are a big deal, but if it's just leading to a screwy loss against Jinder Mahal, it's not a huge leap from "beating Baron Corbin by getting kicked in the dick".

And it's great that he got put over John Cena strong, but since the US Title Open Challenge, that's not really carried the same weight it used to - back then Cena was having finisher-reversal fests and repeated kick-outs of the AA from everyone and their dog, and gave a fair few opponents a potentially star-making performance only for WWE to do nothing to capitalise and actually make the guy a star.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

I never questioned the outcome. I said for me it was too short. For my taste.

That is the outcome. A free, appetite whetting match that leaves us wanting more. Can't wait for them to do it big time for the title.

Archived