Smackdown Discussion Thread

Do wwe have total control on the length of the ad breaks within the hour. I mean I'm guessing like sky it's 15 mins approx of ad break per hour. I guess they can still decide where the break is from back in the Monday night wars but can they decide the length and frequency to suit the show and it's progress as well as when they need camera off for something?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/08/2017 at 0:12 PM, Ambulance Chaser said:

People won't pay for anything of the sort. Nothing draws more money than anything else these days, the Brand draws. The network number is what it is and I bet you won't rise above a certain level ever, you aren't selling actual PPV's on matches or names. Them having a stand out stellar match on Smackdown is actually more important than a "PPV" or Network special as it's seen by more people and might get a rating. TV is more important.

Right. I bet the value of my house wont ever rise above a certain level either too.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Are there submissions in amateur wrestling?

No, which makes it all the more baffling. Made perfect sense for Shamrock to use it and if they then gave it to subsequent MMA guys (although it would still be fucking lazy, see 'Clutch, Camel' too), but it is now seemingly synonymous with NCAA wrestling champs in WWE.

So I go back to my point that it's daft that they have a submission finishing move. Surely they should have a move with a pinning combination, but in this day & age of Kevin Owns doing frog splashes it's going to be hard to get a Fisherman Suplex or a Bridging German Suplex over as a finisher.

Ive never understood the MMA gimmick in wrestling either. If you're so good an MMA fighter, why arn't you fighting in an MMA promotion?

• Paid Members
On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

So I go back to my point that it's daft that they have a submission finishing move. Surely they should have a move with a pinning combination, but in this day & age of Kevin Owns doing frog splashes it's going to be hard to get a Fisherman Suplex or a Bridging German Suplex over as a finisher.

Ive never understood the MMA gimmick in wrestling either. If you're so good an MMA fighter, why arn't you fighting in an MMA promotion?

You can get pretty much anything over as a finisher - even while Kevin Owens is doing Frog Splashes, Seth Rollins is hitting Phoenix Splashes for near falls and Dolph Ziggler's doing top rope X-Factors as a transitional move, Roman Reigns is still doing pretty well for himself using a punch and a Spear. Anything's a finish if you can convince people to buy into it as one, and history tells us that people will buy into just about anything as a finish.

Gable should absolutely be using some sort of bridging suplex as a finish - one of the biggest downsides of American Alpha splitting up is losing their amazing double team finish. Hell, if they're going to give him a move as a nod to Kurt Angle, I'd much rather he use the Angle Slam, which at least has some grounding in the mechanics of amateur wrestling, than an anklelock submission.

I suppose if you wanted to kayfabe the MMA gimmick, if it's someone like Shamrock or Severn who's already got the experience, you can say that they dominated the world of MMA, and now they're looking to prove they can do the same in pro-wrestling. If it's someone without the experience to give it that spin, you just say that they came to WWE (or whatever promotion they're in) because that's where the real competition is. What kills it for me is when an announcer, and I distinctly remember Nigel McGuinness doing this, says of someone with an MMA background that they "have a legitimate background" - in kayfabe, pro-wrestling is legitimate. You get it quite a lot these days, where someone having an MMA or BJJ background is talked up as if it makes them a double-tough hard man, which just subtly buries wrestling as a whole by saying that those disciplines are more legit.

As a bit of a tangent to the MMA stuff, I can't remember his name, but the big Brazilian fella they've got in NXT at the moment - every single match, the announcers talk up his BJJ experience, but he's yet to show anything remotely BJJ-influenced in his wrestling. "He's Brazilian, and has a background in BJJ, which makes him a real dangerous opponent" - followed by him hitting a dropkick.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Gable should absolutely be using some sort of bridging suplex as a finish

He was using Doug Williams' old Chaos Theory German Suplex as a finish in NXT for a bit, wasn't he? I think he still uses it today, but that should be his finish. Beautiful move, and it receives a reaction from the crowd.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

He was using Doug Williams' old Chaos Theory German Suplex as a finish in NXT for a bit, wasn't he? I think he still uses it today, but that should be his finish. Beautiful move, and it receives a reaction from the crowd.

I suspect the only issue there is that he might not be able to pull it off on some of the bigger guys. I imagine he'd struggle to hit that on one of the taller lads like Corbin (not that he'd probably be hitting it on Corbin, but in theory), given he's a bit on the shorter side. 

• Paid Members

I don't think height will make a difference there at all, if anything it'd be easier for him. As an accomplished amateur he can easily 'pop' down low enough to their waist and get a good bridge on somebody like Corbin. The taller the opponent, if the extra height comes from longer legs, the easier to get them over. Size in terms of mass could be a factor, but he was throwing Rusev around for fun the other day.

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Might be wrong but I don't particularly remember him ever having an established singles finisher in NXT? He just sort of popped up as the guy pestering Jason Jordan to tag with him

Those roll-through gut-wrench suplexes he did on Rusev could be a good finish. Amazing looking moves and you can build the suspense of will he hit three/enough to get the W

• Paid Members

Nah it wasn't an established finisher as such, as he was always in tags, but the way the matches were structured you got the impression that was his finisher. It was his Bubba Bomb.

I don't think the rolling gut-wrenches should be his finisher either. I love that spot, but that's simply going to be his take on the Angle/Benoit rolling German and Eddie's Three Amigos.

so who spotted the guy with the red cap in the front row who was at Raw in a Roman Sucks shirt and at Smackdown in a Cena Sucks shirt? i'd be surprised if anyone didn't seeing as he was doing everything humanly possible to make sure he got noticed. absolute specimen.

Archived