Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

The Usos look like they are having the time of their lives. Such natural dick heads.

They have been excellent in their new role. They were great as a face team as well but without proper competition and evolution they were so stale. They were boring place fillers who could put on a good match but gave us nothing to care about.

With a new lease on life it is far easier to appreciate how good these guys actually are. They are fresh, interesting and an asset to the brand 

• Paid Members

The Usos are genuinely my favourite act in WWE right now. I suppose I should criticise them for being so bloody enjoyable, given that they are supposed to be heels, but I will take any positives I can these days. Remixed theme tune sounds great too.

In his backstage interview Jinder referred to Nakamura as 'the man from Japan'. I just thought it sounded cool when he said it and reckon that 'The Man from Japan' would work as a decent moniker for him. Sounds better than 'SmackDown's Rockstar' to me anyway. The main event was great, I agree it really whet the appetite for a bigger showdown down the road for these two. Didn't need to be any longer than it was.

Cena vs Corbin at SummerSlam looks set now. Corbin needs to scrape a win there in absolutely nefarious fashion.

Smackdown's definitely sorted its act out after shitty Battleground. Cena v Nak was class. I can echo that I'd kind of rather see it on a bigger stage, but with Cena's schedule and them both being perma-faces a TV match was probably the best option for the time being

The Usos are the fucking best right now, their new swagger is awesome and they're low-key funny as hell. "Last week we had this whole stage soundin like a cartoon" "BOOM! BIFF! POW! Comic books..." some of their lines directed at New Day were absolutely excellent by any standards.

Honestly, my first thought when Jason Jordan was revealed as Kurt Angle's illegitimate son (other than "ey??!!??") was that this could be a break-out moment for Chad Gable. Seems to have more going for him than JJ in the ring and as a personality. Another bad tag team splitting decision along with Cass & Enzo, but at least singles Gable should be awesome, plus they could shove em back together if/when they botch the Jordan push as there was no big devastating break-up angle here. That Rusev match was great. Snoreton did a great job of immediately killing my vibe afterwards. 

AJ v Owens was alright this time but surprised they went for the same wet Battleground finish but in reverse. Alright, they didn't botch it this time but it still looked convoluted as fuck. Don't see what Shane reffing like its the early 90s adds to this match? Just chuck tables, ladders and chairs in there (and rebrand the December PPV, you lazy fucks) instead, surely, not Uncle Shane-o

17 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

That is the outcome. A free, appetite whetting match that leaves us wanting more. Can't wait for them to do it big time for the title.

I class the outcome the result of the match, I was fine with that, the journey to get there left me underwhelmed. Few reasons, 1. You don't have to have a short first match to wet any appetite, Okada/Omega went 45 minutes first time out and an hour draw second time out, and people are salivating over the thought of their G1 match, if the 2 guys are good enough and the promotion builds it well enough you can have a 2hr first match and leave people wanting more. To me 2 guys of that calibre fighting for the first time should be going more than 12 minutes, they should have sprinkled in video packages throughout the show, maybe other wrestlers predicting who will win, and dedicated the last 30-40 minutes to this match.  2. You say it leaves people wanting more but there isn't going to be more is there, to me that would be ok if it was the first match in a feud or something similar but these 2 won't touch forever now, Cena will fuck off after Summerslam so by the time they get in the ring together again people will have forgotten because it's been so long. This was a true one off meeting, and was treated like the 200th Baron Corbin vs Sami Zayn match.

• Paid Members

Fashion Peaks was bizarre, and excellent. When was the last time WWE managed to do actually relevant pop culture parody and it actually be funny?!

Fashion Police can pretty much do no wrong at this point, though - I'm dreading the eventual revelation of who kidnapped Fandango, as I don't want this whole thing to end, and I hope it doesn't see Fashion Police go back to being just another tag team or, worse still, breaking up. They're the closest thing we've had to peak Edge & Christian in terms of a genuinely funny tag team.

• Paid Members

SmackDown was very good again this week. I liked that they spent the first third of the show focusing on the Owens/Styles match and the fall out afterwards. It was a better match than the PPV one as well. However the ref bump was a farce. Owens missed by miles, and then Chioda was selling the right eye whilst the commentators are telling us he got hit in the left eye, while at the same time the camera shows Owens missing by approximately 4.7 miles. 

Uso's have really underwent a complete rebirth since turning heel. I love them these days. 

The Fashion Police are genuinely funny which isn't often the case with skits like this in WWE (see The New Day). Though I'm missing something here as I have no idea what Twin Peaks is or was. Really hope they either have an interesting reveal for who stole 'Dango, or else they keep this going for ages and just do parodies of TV shows every week.

Genuinely surprised that Nakamura won the main event and I'm looking forward to a big program between Cena and Shinsuke down the line. I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw how John landed from the suplex though. I thought for sure that he wouldn't be able to get up. 

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Jinder Mahal at SummerSlam for the WWE Title. I never expected to be writing that, even two months ago. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

I class the outcome the result of the match, I was fine with that, the journey to get there left me underwhelmed. Few reasons, 1. You don't have to have a short first match to wet any appetite, Okada/Omega went 45 minutes first time out and an hour draw second time out, and people are salivating over the thought of their G1 match, if the 2 guys are good enough and the promotion builds it well enough you can have a 2hr first match and leave people wanting more. To me 2 guys of that calibre fighting for the first time should be going more than 12 minutes, they should have sprinkled in video packages throughout the show, maybe other wrestlers predicting who will win, and dedicated the last 30-40 minutes to this match.  2. You say it leaves people wanting more but there isn't going to be more is there, to me that would be ok if it was the first match in a feud or something similar but these 2 won't touch forever now, Cena will fuck off after Summerslam so by the time they get in the ring together again people will have forgotten because it's been so long. This was a true one off meeting, and was treated like the 200th Baron Corbin vs Sami Zayn match.

That last bit is debateable. If this turns out to be the only Cena/Naka match ever then I'll agree with you completely. If that's the case then the match should never have been done on Smackdown. But the fact that it was is why it shouldn't be the epic battle. People will tune in, and pay for, an epic battle between these two. So once you've decided to chuck it on telly, it has to leave people wanting more. That's what TV is for. To build characters and matches for big shows. The fact that people are debating it, feel that they'd like to see this go longer shows that it worked completely.

• Paid Members

The goal of the match was to make Nakamura look strong and give him some momentum, going into Summer Slam. IMO, it worked on both accounts. Him having a proper 40 minute kickoutfest between these two is great, but that wasn't the point.

People won't pay for anything of the sort. Nothing draws more money than anything else these days, the Brand draws. The network number is what it is and I bet you won't rise above a certain level ever, you aren't selling actual PPV's on matches or names. Them having a stand out stellar match on Smackdown is actually more important than a "PPV" or Network special as it's seen by more people and might get a rating. TV is more important.

Watched live and while I enjoyed, I just went away thinking that I can't handle anymore of these ad breaks. It's not that I'm moaning there's too many, I know naturally there's more due to US TV when watching live - it's the timing of them, fucking ridiculous. Owens/AJ had taken an ad break about a minute into the match, came back for no more than 2 minutes and was on an ad break again.

Archived