Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say i'm excited for the Punjabi Prison. Having had the rules explained, it just sounds convoluted and weird to me. What are the other Punjabi Prison matches they've had and were they actually any good? I'll withhold judgment having never seen one but it just feels like another notch on the Randy Orton one man wrestlecrap crusade of 2017 to me

Alright episode. The ladder match wasn't bad (Tamina's "superfly splash" tho) but it's tough when we're used to these matches being such risky car crashes and Ellsworth took the biggest bump in the match. Feels like Vince "you hear they have WOMEN'S mixed martial arts now?!?" McMahon is holding them back from truly dazzling. Always gonna be tough when there's so little prior ladder experience between the 5 of them and they're being compared to one with AJ, KO & Sami who have had many big spotfests, but you'd think Charlotte would bust out a big moonsault or something. Just a bit underwhelming 

Another class Fashion Police segment, they're keeping me invested in Smackdown at the moment. Always enjoy a who-dun-it, it better not just be the shitty colons (hehe) or something equally drab. The Ascension were funny in their bit too. If they're gonna stick around then hopefully they get a gimmick switch up, they were good in those Southpaw Regional Wrestling videos 

I hope for the New Day/Usos battle rap next week, they bring back Brian Hebner for a week to do some beatboxing, like he used to do for Cena

34 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

Can't say i'm excited for the Punjabi Prison. Having had the rules explained, it just sounds convoluted and weird to me. What are the other Punjabi Prison matches they've had and were they actually any good? I'll withhold judgment having never seen one but it just feels like another notch on the Randy Orton one man wrestlecrap crusade of 2017 to me

There's only been two previous Punjabi Pridon matches.

The first was during The Undertaker/Great Khali feud and took place at Great American Bash 2006. Khali was taken out of the match at the beggining of the show due to "elevated liver enzymes" (which also took some others out of matches and became a bit of a running joke throughout the show) and was replaced with The Big Show who was in pretty poor shape at the time so you were left with a bit of a plodding affair that went over 20 minutes which you couldn't really see on TV very well due to a massive bamboo cage being enclosed with another even larger bamboo cage which is a different shape. I couldn't find a very good version of the match on YouTube, but here is a still of the hardcam from the second match 

EE977F02-D2AF-495E-9844-DDC556CEEA74_zps

Just look at it! It's mental, how the fuck are you supposed to see anything.

The second took place at No Mercy 2007 and featured Great Khali taking on Batista, and actually isn't that bad of a match considering it involved Khaliand a not yet awesome Big Dave, but only goes around 15 minutes and at least Batista could take some bumps

• Paid Members

The Fashion Police are brilliant every week. Just a good old fashioned, fun, mid card gimmick. They need to make a compilation of all their skits and put them on a collection on the Network.

Pubjabi Prison should be interesting. It's a strange match, as WyattSheepMask said, it was just bloody difficult to see what was going on inside the cages. But bells and whistles for all Mahal's matches are a well welcomed addition. 

• Paid Members

Some good stuff on Smackers. Nice little AJ/Gable match, funny stuff from Breeze and Fandango again and a fun rap battle. The Usos really are great at the moment. 

Only disappointment was John Cena's hot promo turning into a ra ra USA exchange with Rusev who is the same as ever but with short hair. What a fucking waste.

The Cena promo was a little disappointing. I was hoping we might get some idea of a big match for Summerslam, but apart from the emphasis on saying Roman Reigns it was just I'm back, I'm still here and oh so is Rusev. 

I admit it pained me to see Harper eliminated by that tit Rawley. And ffs Ziggler don't wear the denim vest during a match. Looked horrible with his tights. 

• Paid Members

Cena and Rusev revisiting their feud, in a flag match of all things is not what I wanted for either man. Smackdown was fine this week though. Rap battle dragged a little but The Usos were good. Kofi was terrible. 

Looks like American Alpha are taking time away as a tag team 

That was one stellar 8 minute match between Styles/Gable. I think someone looks at Gable and simply thinks Kurt Angle, they clearly like the guy. I'd love to see this match get 20 minutes on PPV down the road, great chemistry.

TArn't we getting a bit samey with Owens, Mahal and Rusev all on the same show, having a very similar gimmick. So lazy in my opinion.

Has to be said how good the Uso's current heel run is going. They are absolutely lethal on the microphone and look like proper thugs. It's good they're letting them roll with it and be a bit more edgy.

Is Jason Jordan injured or is this the end of American Alpha already?

Jordan was in the battle royal, I'm assuming they're giving Gable a bit of singles exposure as the tag scene has nothing for them atm. 

I've enjoyed it a lot, he's a fresh face and looks like he can put on a classic

After Raw this week, which was a completely solid episode featuring several well-handled feuds, I was wondering why I wasn't more into it overall, and what I came up with is that it's just not funny enough for me. I think maybe that's why I like Smackdown so much more every week almost no matter what. I mean, who's funny on Raw at the moment? Reigns maybe a little, when he leans into the heat? Enzo, I guess, although I'm not his biggest fan. Maybe someone could make a case for Ambrose and Miz? Alexa sometimes. Heyman in moments. And I struggle to think of more. But on Smackdown it feels like they're full to the brim with funny acts. I laugh at Ellsworth, The New Day, the Usos, Breezango, Owens, Zayn, Cena, DB and Renee on Talking Smack and even Aidan English. And the show flies for me. I guess it's been a wake-up call on how much I need comedy in my wrestling. Because, like I said, I think Raw's doing some good things, but I still don't enjoy it nearly half as much as Smackdown.

Archived